PSR600 cuts out during pager tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I've noticed that certain quick call pager tones get cut out halfway through the second tone while others I can hear the entire tone. What's the deal?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do you have PL enabled on that frequency? If so, it's possible that some low pitched tones are causing the scanner to think it's hearing a different PL, so it closes squelch. I've had this happen to me with Uniden models, it may also affect GRE models. Try disabling the PL and see if that resolves the issue.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No problem. If you find that to be the issue, and you'd rather not disable PL on the frequency...you should probably increase the delay time to maybe 5 seconds so that the scanner won't resume scanning when it cuts out, but will instead dwell on the channel and you won't miss the dispatch.

TRNcommLLC

Feed Provider
My streaming scanner sometimes does that too and I also noticed it during a regular conversation.
Only noticed it on the channels that use ctcss.

Maybe over deviation?
Kinda annoying.

If you use software to program try setting that channel mode to FM not AUTO or NFM and see if that clears it up.
I'm using the ARC500 software.

I may try that soon. Been thinking about it for months but never had a chance to try.

John

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
It's just for EMS Dispatches for the county I dispatch for. I only scan 3 conventional channels then the TRS so there's not a huge delay. I'll tinker with it tonight. Funny how it's fine on a radio but the scanners don't like low tones.

jim202

It's just for EMS Dispatches for the county I dispatch for. I only scan 3 conventional channels then the TRS so there's not a huge delay. I'll tinker with it tonight. Funny how it's fine on a radio but the scanners don't like low tones.

Is there a possibility that you have your radio / scanner set to narrow band and the transmitter is still wide band deviation? Have run into that a number of times in my travel around the country lately. Seems the radio shops have not pressed the agencies enough to complete the mandated narrow banding that was to be done by now.

ScannerSK

For some reason the PSR 500 and PSR 600 are very susceptible to losing sync with the PL/CTCSS tone during paging tones.

There is a setting called "HD5 Fade" in the Function Global menu which controls the length of time to wait after losing a PL/CTCSS/DCS/NAC signal. It is settable up to 10 seconds (10,000 ms).

I set my units to 5000 ms to correct this issue. Changing this setting allows the full paging tones to be heard while the CTCSS/DCS/NAC tone remains activated.

Shawn

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
For some reason the PSR 500 and PSR 600 are very susceptible to losing sync with the PL/CTCSS tone during paging tones.

There is a setting called "HD5 Fade" in the Function Global menu which controls the length of time to wait after losing a PL/CTCSS/DCS/NAC signal. It is settable up to 10 seconds (10,000 ms).

I set my units to 5000 ms to correct this issue. Changing this setting allows the full paging tones to be heard while the CTCSS/DCS/NAC tone remains activated.

Shawn

I didn't know about that setting. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip. I presume it only has an effect while a radio transmission is occurring; in other words, it doesn't extend the scanner delay time to 5 seconds.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Phoenix FD has a tone or two that does that with my PSR-500. I'll have to try the HD5 Fade adjustment. Right now, I just have the CTCSS set to search, and it doesn't drop out, but it's not set either, so when there's no transmission, it's listening in CSQ.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I notice on my psr800 will drop tones also. I was trying to record the vhf to get the tones for paging. I gave up cause kept cutting in/out and when I got the 396xt out works fine but they dispatch too many stations so I can't get all of them yet. unless they do one station at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.