Should I ditch my PSR 800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Afternoon everyone,

I was looking at the new Uniden models and I really think that the BCD436HP is a really good scanner for me. But I currently own a PSR 800 and its a great scanner but there are a few drawbacks. Our provincial Rail/Bus P25 radio system here in Ontario has a few talkgroups that are TDMA which my PSR 800 has a very hard time decoding (the audio is very choppy). The FDMA talkgroups on the other hand decode fine. I’ve owned my PSR 800 for about a year and it’s had a handful of problems. Anyway, should I ditch my 800 for a 436HP or keep it? Should I sell it or keep it? Thanks!!!

Nasby

I would seriously doubt the new Unidens will decode TDMA better than the PSR800.

Digital decoding is what the GRE engineered scanners do best.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
Is the system site mode set to NFM? If not try that. I'd bet the price of PSR-800 is going to drop dramatically next year.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have a psr800 around my area it's analog and we have 1 system is P25 l. On the psr800 it wouldn't decode the P25 l as good as the bcd396xt has. It took hours before the psr800 pick up the system as it should.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to add this. When I visit back home for a week. I brought my psr800 (to record new talkgroups for the new system *P25 Phase l) instead my 396xt. The psr800 didn't pick up the system good til I was in town but it worked like a charm. Last time I visited I brought my 396xt it worked fine when they were doing testing and had a few talkgroups. I was staying by the airport from my last visit and the visit I had a few weeks ago.

SCPD

QRT
I hope the whistler scanners have a good build....that's why I'm seriously considering a Uniden

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I hope the whistler scanners have a good build....that's why I'm seriously considering a Uniden

A few people I know are waiting on see what they have to offer. If they have the TROBRO and the other systems. Uniden scanners may return back to them or people will buy them the ones don't like GRE.

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
I would wait for the reviews after they get into the hands of some of RR people.

N8IAA

Afternoon everyone,

I was looking at the new Uniden models and I really think that the BCD436HP is a really good scanner for me. But I currently own a PSR 800 and its a great scanner but there are a few drawbacks. Our provincial Rail/Bus P25 radio system here in Ontario has a few talkgroups that are TDMA which my PSR 800 has a very hard time decoding (the audio is very choppy). The FDMA talkgroups on the other hand decode fine. I’ve owned my PSR 800 for about a year and it’s had a handful of problems. Anyway, should I ditch my 800 for a 436HP or keep it? Should I sell it or keep it? Thanks!!!

Did you do the latest firmware update to Phase II? Last time I was in OH, didn't have a problem with hearing any Phase II systems.
Larry

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Afternoon everyone,

Have you try to put AUTO P25? I had to do that with the P25 Phase l here for a system here. Also like N8IAA said have you updated the firmware? If not I got the link here

GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

Go to GRE PSR-800 P25 Phase 2 Public Beta Upgrade 2 *Link

SCPD

QRT
Ok the latest software on my scanner is 1.8 for the CPU and 1.3 for the DSP. But I saw something on my scanner that said Voc version 1.6 what is that?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Ok the latest software on my scanner is 1.8 for the CPU and 1.3 for the DSP. But I saw something on my scanner that said Voc version 1.6 what is that?

I have no idea what Voc version 1.6 is. I can't find it. Did you get it going now?

SCPD

QRT
and why would I need to download and install older software when I have the latest update already on my scanner?

jackj

Get rid of your PSR-800 and buy a new Uniden by all means. In fact, I'll help you out by paying for the shipping and give you an added $10 cash for it. You can keep the batteries to use in your Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.