RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2013, 2:36 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default My GRE-800 is not picking up P25 voice

I've had this GRE-PSR 800 for a couple of years,and I like it. This may be my computers error,or my error,but I updated it,and I can hear Conventional Public Service channels,and they come through the speaker very clearly.

What I'm not receiving is my States P25 STARS system,or the next county over's Motorola P25 Smartnet system. I see the data,but I have no receive through the speaker,or external speakers. It doesn't react very well to ext.speakers on the digital P25 systems,and I don't know why. When I do that I hear a constant control channel type sound.

I have two other scanners that pick all of it up. I have a Pro96,and a Pro2096. No problems. I have a couple of outside antennas because I live way out in a rural area. I've checked the PSR-800 out on them. I have a 800 MHz.yagi antenna pointed at the next county for better reception,and it works on the Pro96,and Pro 2096. My GRE-500 is picking up everything.

I don't no a great deal about computers,and it is probably my fault. I sent the GRE-800 to GRE-America last year,and they solved my problems back then. Does anyone have any ideas,or has this happened to anyone else?

I'd just like to regain control of the scanner again. I'll even send it to a repair person. Is GRE-America even answering the phone now?

Any,and all help will be appreciated. I'll listen to anyone who has ideas. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 AM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 4,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVASSB View Post
I've had this GRE-PSR 800 for a couple of years,and I like it. This may be my computers error,or my error,but I updated it,and I can hear Conventional Public Service channels,and they come through the speaker very clearly.

What I'm not receiving is my States P25 STARS system,or the next county over's Motorola P25 Smartnet system. I see the data,but I have no receive through the speaker,or external speakers. It doesn't react very well to ext.speakers on the digital P25 systems,and I don't know why. When I do that I hear a constant control channel type sound.

I have two other scanners that pick all of it up. I have a Pro96,and a Pro2096. No problems. I have a couple of outside antennas because I live way out in a rural area. I've checked the PSR-800 out on them. I have a 800 MHz.yagi antenna pointed at the next county for better reception,and it works on the Pro96,and Pro 2096. My GRE-500 is picking up everything.

I don't no a great deal about computers,and it is probably my fault. I sent the GRE-800 to GRE-America last year,and they solved my problems back then. Does anyone have any ideas,or has this happened to anyone else?

I'd just like to regain control of the scanner again. I'll even send it to a repair person. Is GRE-America even answering the phone now?

Any,and all help will be appreciated. I'll listen to anyone who has ideas. Thank you in advance.
Can answer about sending to GRE, they no longer are repairing scanners. What did they say was wrong the first time?
Larry
__________________
Digital/Analog scanning and hamming
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2013, 10:58 AM
detroit780's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
Default Remote speaker

If you are hearing a control channel type noise with an external speaker plugged in you probably have the discriminator output set to the head phone jack. Turn that off and you should be ok.

Les




Quote:
Originally Posted by CVASSB View Post
I've had this GRE-PSR 800 for a couple of years,and I like it. This may be my computers error,or my error,but I updated it,and I can hear Conventional Public Service channels,and they come through the speaker very clearly.

What I'm not receiving is my States P25 STARS system,or the next county over's Motorola P25 Smartnet system. I see the data,but I have no receive through the speaker,or external speakers. It doesn't react very well to ext.speakers on the digital P25 systems,and I don't know why. When I do that I hear a constant control channel type sound.

I have two other scanners that pick all of it up. I have a Pro96,and a Pro2096. No problems. I have a couple of outside antennas because I live way out in a rural area. I've checked the PSR-800 out on them. I have a 800 MHz.yagi antenna pointed at the next county for better reception,and it works on the Pro96,and Pro 2096. My GRE-500 is picking up everything.

I don't no a great deal about computers,and it is probably my fault. I sent the GRE-800 to GRE-America last year,and they solved my problems back then. Does anyone have any ideas,or has this happened to anyone else?

I'd just like to regain control of the scanner again. I'll even send it to a repair person. Is GRE-America even answering the phone now?

Any,and all help will be appreciated. I'll listen to anyone who has ideas. Thank you in advance.
__________________
Les
W8MSP Amateur Radio
WQNJ567 GMRS
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
Can answer about sending to GRE, they no longer are repairing scanners. What did they say was wrong the first time?
Larry
It just needed another frequency from my county in the scanner. I basically didn't know how to do that at the time. They added a channel,updated the firmware,and didn't charge me for it. The frequency wasn't in the RR data base at the time,so they said that it was under warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit780 View Post
If you are hearing a control channel type noise with an external speaker plugged in you probably have the discriminator output set to the head phone jack. Turn that off and you should be ok.

Les
Thanks. I turned off the HP jack,and it is still not picking up P25 activity. It's picking up my counties conventional system,and NOAA weather radio.

I was using a GRE windows site called,"GREcom EZ Scan Digital". This put tons of data that I didn't want in my P25 scanlists.

There may have been a better way,but I deleted three of those P25 scanlists,and it took a log time. I have 56 scanlists in the PSR800.

I'm not sure if I should go back to that Windows site.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2013, 6:57 AM
detroit780's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 681
Default PSR800 Frequencies

A Windows Site called EzScan? The software that came with the radio is Called EzScan, it allows you to program your radio. You can open the software and read the radio to see what you actually have in it. If you keep the database current from Radio Reference each week you still need to update the scan lists. What system are you monitoring? Has it recently rebanded?






Quote:
Originally Posted by CVASSB View Post
Thanks. I turned off the HP jack,and it is still not picking up P25 activity. It's picking up my counties conventional system,and NOAA weather radio.

I was using a GRE windows site called,"GREcom EZ Scan Digital". This put tons of data that I didn't want in my P25 scanlists.

There may have been a better way,but I deleted three of those P25 scanlists,and it took a log time. I have 56 scanlists in the PSR800.

I'm not sure if I should go back to that Windows site.
__________________
Les
W8MSP Amateur Radio
WQNJ567 GMRS
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2013, 8:47 AM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 595
Default

Do this:take the sd card out of the radio,stick it in a card reader,format the card,then format the card using the GRE software,update ALL.I bet ya it works!If you cant get it,email me,i actually wrecked and brought mine back to life.Consider uodating the sd card,the one it comes with is JUNK!
Since changing my card,I havent had any issues.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit780 View Post
A Windows Site called EzScan? The software that came with the radio is Called EzScan, it allows you to program your radio. You can open the software and read the radio to see what you actually have in it. If you keep the database current from Radio Reference each week you still need to update the scan lists. What system are you monitoring? Has it recently rebanded?
Thank you. I did program the scan lists in the beginning when I got it from the scanner itself about 2 years ago. There was a frequency missing in the RR data base from my county,and I sent it to GRE-America,and they put that frequency in that scan list.

What I was trying to do was to update the firmware in my PSR800 for when the counties around me go narrowband. They have not yet,but they will,and I want to be ready. Is it called TDMA phase II? That was the firmware that I was trying to download into my scanner before GRE phases out it's help.

I'm not computer savvy,but I'm trying.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2013, 1:02 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rty View Post
Do this:take the sd card out of the radio,stick it in a card reader,format the card,then format the card using the GRE software,update ALL.I bet ya it works!If you cant get it,email me,i actually wrecked and brought mine back to life.Consider uodating the sd card,the one it comes with is JUNK!
Since changing my card,I havent had any issues.
That makes sence. I'm not computer savvy,but I'm trying. I don't have a card reader,but this sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I may end up getting a new sd card. Thanks for your ideas. I may end up emailing you for help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rty View Post
Do this:take the sd card out of the radio,stick it in a card reader,format the card,then format the card using the GRE software,update ALL.I bet ya it works!If you cant get it,email me,i actually wrecked and brought mine back to life.Consider uodating the sd card,the one it comes with is JUNK!
Since changing my card,I havent had any issues.
I bought a 16 GB Micro SD Card today,and a card reader. I'm going to check out the PSR800's SD card in the card reader. I've never seen this done before. It should be interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

I still cannot upload P25 digital talk groups.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2013, 9:32 PM
freqhopping's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lo Co VA/ FM19
Posts: 3,977
Default

Can you post screen shots from the EZ Scan program of the General Settings, Advanced Features, Scanlist for STARS, and Trunked Radio System tabs (with STARS Talkgroup Details visible)?
__________________
Spinning & Grinning
Alinco DJ-X11 - BC890XLT - 436HP - BCD396XT - BCD996T- PSR-800 - Pro-106 - MilTenna LP in the attic.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2013, 3:50 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

I've used the search,and it only picks up FM,and no digital anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2013, 4:30 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jones County Iowa
Posts: 893
Default

start reading here---you are not doing something right
Read from the beginning and see what happens

Easier to Read PSR800 Digital Scanner Manual
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-23-2013, 6:17 PM
troymail's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Anne Arundel County, MD.
Posts: 3,414
Default

I think you're saying the radio stops on a digital talkgroup (displaying the talkgroup name, etc.) but instead of hearing digital voice, you're hearing digital noise. Is that correct?

I've see a similar problem in the past - the radio continues to receive the signal(s) / voice activity but doesn't get decoded so it's just noise.

If so - there are a couple of things to try -- the easiest being what was already suggested.

But first:

- using EZ Scan, make sure you have the latest library (341) downloaded via EZ Scan to your PC -and- copied to you scanner

Then try one of:


- get a new SD card, and use the EZ Scan PC app to "Prepare Scanner Memory/SD card for use"
or
- do the same with your existing card

See if that fixes things.

If not then (assuming it's still possible?) I would try to reinstall/update (re-update) the radio's CPU and DSP (via EZ Scan).

Does that fix it?

If after these things the radio is still stopping on a digital talkgroup and all you'r getting is noise, the problem may be more serious.

BTW - I may have missed it - what is the neighboring County you're trying to listen to? Is that the closest neighboring County to your location?

(3000!)
__________________
PSR-800 x 2 | PSR-500
BCD536HP | BCD-396T | BC-296D (voice) | BC-245XLT (mTrunker) | BC-600XLT | BC-IV | VX-8R
Not a Radio Shack fan.....

Last edited by troymail; 12-23-2013 at 6:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Default

When I plug the scanners cord into the side of it,and press the Menu in at the same time,here's what the screen says. ( up Boot Ver:F1.0 / up Appl Ver:U1.3 /CPU SW Upgrade: Waiting for USB ) That's where it stops,and I cannot go any further then that. It may be my computer. It's a 2002 Dell. I'm going to replace it as soon as I can. I seem to be able to( Update from the Library). When it stops of a digital system,I don't hear a thing. If I put my ear to the scanners speaker,I hear a week static when the scanner stops on a digital voice channel.

I have bought a Sandisk 16 GB microSDHC,class 10 SD card. When I stick it into the scanner,I get a message on the scanner screen that the SD card is not compatible. So I took it out,and put the GRE800 SD card back into the scanner.

I need to get a newer computer. I hope that I haven't destroyed the DSP chip inside of the radio.
I wish that I where better with computers. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2013, 8:05 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jones County Iowa
Posts: 893
Default

Do you have a USB port?



If you do read the easy to read manual
Easier to Read PSR800 Digital Scanner Manual
and update the CPU/DSP


FOLLOW the direction EXACTLY



If you don't have a USB port on your computer-------------------you are stuck until you get a computer with a USB port
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2013, 8:16 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.
Posts: 35
Default

this probably has nothing to do with your problem but everytime I update the library on my computer , the it asks do you want to download new library to computer, that goes perfectly, then it'll ask do you want to update scanners existing channels with the new updated library doing this knocks out the p25 channels that worked before the updates, I lose all the p25 phase 11 channels I had on there that were working perfectly before the updates took place . To get them back I had to reload all the p25 channels from my ezscan software..... listing to Philadelphia , pa project 25 phase 2 fire and police ... I no longer do the update to the existing scanner channels, just do updating to the libraries and firmware... Gerry of Philadelphia
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2014, 7:30 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Fluvanna Co. Virginia
Posts: 124
Thumbs up My scanner is working now.

I took my scanner to my sister's house,and uploaded the D2 II firmware,DSP,and Library. It's working. The problem is with my computer. I'm going to get another computer soon.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions