GRE800 Questions and/or Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

edisonfire

I'm still learning to PSR800. Mind you I started scanning when you had to buy crystals {dates me but I'm somewhat tech savvy} Each time I start the 800 up it brings me to a screen that insists I set the time & date prior to moving forward. I can understand this when I pull the batteries to recharge but this happens when I ;eave batteries in and simply shut it down by holding power button. Is it a firmware/software issue or simply a regular annoyance?

I used to use the GRE500 and one feature I enjoyed on that model was if you heard a transmission but radio began scanning prior to checking the display, by pressing manual it would revert to last active channel so you could see who spoke and/or lock on to listen to subsequent radio traffic.

Is it easier to browse library from onboard memory and then use 800 software to modify and adjust or download RR data into software and transfer to scanner? As far as the scanner software it presents an user-friendly appearance. In the conventional frequency section the channels/objects appear in an Excel like form where I can adjust the column spacing and see clearly. In the Trunked Section I have no control over column spacing such as lengthening the Alpha Tag column so I can see the full name.

I'm sure I'll have more questions so please have patience

AuntEnvy

I'm not sure why you are not charging the batteries with the 800 itself but that may be the problem.

Also, do not plug in or out, the cable, while the unit is on. Apparently this causes problems as well.

And you also have to save your software data or unit/sd card data and settings whenever you leave the menu section or close out the software program, and send the "new configuration" to your card and/or V-scanner folder. I think I said all that correctly... ;)

I know it sounds difficult at first but it gets easier. You just have to remember a few small, simple things. And yes, I still forget sometimes.

And yes, using the software via computer is definitely way better/easier for all things programmable.

I'm loving this little unit. It is a great scanner once you get used to figuring out all it can do. And I still have a few more things to learn on it as well.

If you haven't already, go to the "Easier to read PSR800" website. It definitely can help you. ;)

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I had the same problem with the date/time when I was using my 800 on batteries, but when I use the power cord, I never had the problem. It's probably not a firmware problem, since my problem was solved when I went to power from batteries.

As far as which is easier (reading onboard DB, or downloading from RR) it is simply just a preference. I find it is easier to download from RR to software, that way I can pick and choose which TGID or conventional frequencies I wanted, name them what I want, and put them in the order I wanted them. You can't put them in any particular order or change the name if you use the onboard memory. You only have so many spaces for the letters of the name, so you will have to be somewhat creative on the names as I have found, especially on the trunked systems.

And I can't remember right off the top of my head about your other comment about pressing manual (the 800 does not have a "manual" button), but I have hit the left arrow button and it has gone back to the last channel that I had it on.

And it is always a good idea to charge the batteries outside the scanner itself based on the experiences I have heard about on here from people who charged with batteries in the scanner and they would leak, ruining the scanner. I always charge my batteries outside the scanner, as I have had a leakage before and it ruined the scanner.

Also, it's a good idea if you program your scanner through the software to remove the SD card from the scanner and put it in a card reader. I have ruined 3 or 4 cards by trying to send the info from the computer to the card while it was in the scanner.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Can you use PSREdit on the 800? I didn't see that the 800 was supported.

No. EZScan digital software only. Have you set the date and clock via the software yet? It will sync with your pc. I don't use rechargeable batteries in my scanners. I use alkalines with my 800, and run it as a base with the USB cable.
When you take the batteries out, it will reset the scanner. You will need to reboot it via the software.
Larry

jackj

I use both rechargeable batteries and a wall-wart with my 800. I have found that if I either have the wall-wart plugged in or replace the batteries right away with a spare set then I don't have to reset the time/date.

IowaGuy1603

I use both rechargeable batteries and a wall-wart with my 800. I have found that if I either have the wall-wart plugged in or replace the batteries right away with a spare set then I don't have to reset the time/date.

The same way I use mine..........The only time I have to reset the date etc is if I take longer than a few seconds to make the change

kb8rvp

Very Easy Fix For the "Setting the clock" issue. Have two sets of batteries one in the scanner and one in the external charger ready to go. Pull the batteries out of the charger and have them sitting by the scanner. Pull the dead batteries out and put the charged batteries in the scanner and you will not be asked to set the clock. I think you have 30 - 60 seconds to change batteries without having to set the clock. It's a known issue and has been talked about a few times on RR.

The second question about the last active talk group. You can press the left arrow (if you have the newer firmware) to go into the browser function and it will show you the last active talk group but you won't hear anything you just be able to see which one it was... You can also turn on priority for a talk group that is a priority for you monitor a 800MHz Motorola APCO 25 system and the if that talk group goes active the scanner will switch to that TG.

About browsing you can press the left key while scanning to get into the browse option in the scanner. Then up and down arrow to look at your programming in the current scanlist or press the left or right to pick a different scanlist and then again up or down arrow to look at the programming in the the scanlist.

Hope this helps
Mike

I'm still learning to PSR800. Mind you I started scanning when you had to buy crystals {dates me but I'm somewhat tech savvy} Each time I start the 800 up it brings me to a screen that insists I set the time & date prior to moving forward. I can understand this when I pull the batteries to recharge but this happens when I ;eave batteries in and simply shut it down by holding power button. Is it a firmware/software issue or simply a regular annoyance?

I used to use the GRE500 and one feature I enjoyed on that model was if you heard a transmission but radio began scanning prior to checking the display, by pressing manual it would revert to last active channel so you could see who spoke and/or lock on to listen to subsequent radio traffic.

Is it easier to browse library from onboard memory and then use 800 software to modify and adjust or download RR data into software and transfer to scanner? As far as the scanner software it presents an user-friendly appearance. In the conventional frequency section the channels/objects appear in an Excel like form where I can adjust the column spacing and see clearly. In the Trunked Section I have no control over column spacing such as lengthening the Alpha Tag column so I can see the full name.

I'm sure I'll have more questions so please have patience

AC2OY

Like Larry said, best move I did was buy the USB mini to AC cord and run the Scanner with power. Some also stated that if you DON'T turn off the charge battery setting you can cook the batteries in a $400.00 scanner that still as if now can't be serviced.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Like Larry said, best move I did was buy the USB mini to AC cord and run the Scanner with power. Some also stated that if you DON'T turn off the charge battery setting you can cook the batteries in a $400.00 scanner that still as if now can't be serviced.

IMHO, it is not worth frying a $500 radio just to charge batteries, so I got a Powerex charger from Amazon (came with a dozen rechargable batteries, too)..I do run the USB cable in the computer, but in case you are not aware, this will NOT charge the batteries when the radio is on. I also use the USB port on my cell phone charger in the car to power the radio when I am mobile. The batteries do not get used on their own all that much.

Another important hint that was touched on earlier: ALWAYS power off the radio before removing external power source, if you don't, you will stand a good chance of corrupting the SD card or destroying it. I always carry a spare, programmed SD card "just in case" and have needed to use it more than once.

The radio will handle higher storage cards, but the more Gb the longer it takes to verify and start the radio.

JK :)

Status
Not open for further replies.