RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 7:28 PM

The Uniden release looks like a Microsoft Windows 8 fiasco and heads have rolled at Microsoft for the "brains" behind Windows 8.
Sponsored links

Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Pro-106

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
I will wait for the new Whistler scanners to come out. Would love to get the 900 rebadge. Was waiting for GRE to introduce them, and then they disappeared off the face of the earth.
Waited a year after the 106 came out to buy. Have had it for almost six years and love it.
Larry
I could not agree more about the Pro-106. It is the best and safest hand-held scanner to have in a car, and is so easy to navigate and read. Most importantly it delivers loud intelligent audio, the volume and squelch are superior, and itpull in signals better than any Uniden scanner could hope to. I hope that Whistler realizes these scanner qualities. I would rather have good signal reception, good audio, and simplicity of operation while in the car, than a bunch of bells and whistles that are just taking up space.
Old 05-14-2014, 6:18 PM

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...fcc_id=HSXSC04

approved 4/07/2014
pro-652 digital scanner

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...fcc_id=HSXSC02

pro-650 approved

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...fcc_id=HSXSC01

pro-649 approved

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...fcc_id=HSXSC03

pro-651 aproved

Last edited by hydro12943; 05-14-2014 at 7:05 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 6:30 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro12943 View Post

approved 4/07/2014
pro-652 digital scanner
Just a note. This is the PRO-197 OEM clone for Radio Shack.

It's also supported by PSREdit.
MARC ID:3126326
Old 05-14-2014, 6:42 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I hear whistler will be in Dayton at the hamvention, stay tuned.

Gommert
Butel Software
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2014, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro12943 View Post

approved 4/07/2014
pro-652 digital scanner
Thanks for the info. Don said his pre-production model was made in Vietnam. FCC label for Pro-652 says made in Philippines. I'm hoping this is good news

Semper Fi
Old 05-14-2014, 7:22 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Whistler

Don said his was made in the Philipines the Unidens are made in Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNutz View Post
Thanks for the info. Don said his pre-production model was made in Vietnam. FCC label for Pro-652 says made in Philippines. I'm hoping this is good news
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Old 05-14-2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
I'm sure someone will be held accountable.

Depending on what firmware updates can actually fix, the new scanners can still come out smelling like a rose, time will tell.
Noticed your Vietnam veteran avatar and just had to give ya a holler. WELCOME HOME.

Me? Enlisted in late '72 so was never in country. Worked ammo dump at Rose Gardens, Thailand. Marine Air Wing was still dropping napalm on Charlie. Dang that F-4 Phantom was one, good looking jet.

Semper Fi
Old 05-14-2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit780 View Post
Don said his was made in the Philipines the Unidens are made in Vietnam
Thank you. I can't remember my own posts.

Semper Fi
Sponsored links
Old 05-14-2014, 7:46 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I'm really happy with my PSR-800, it does more things I like then the 436HP. My only wish would be for either a keypad or some way in the menu structure to input a frequency easily ie. VFO and using the 4 way rocker pad to enter a freq similar to how you enter a hi or low limit in the limit search menu.

Yes overloading can be a pain sometimes, but I'll take the sensitivity any day. The signal stalker for me blows close call out of the water.

The fact I can select individual services and systems as oppose to being limited to the zipcode only method like in the 436HP. Also the record feature gives a date and time stamp on the display which I think is the way it should be unlike the 436.

For me, the PSR-800 is very close to being the perfect radio. I felt GRE was a lot better listening to their customers than uniden is. The HP-1 was a major flaw in its discovery mode when it runs across a control channel and Uniden won't address this situation. I have a feeling the mentality at uniden is that of a stubborn child, they design the menu and operations during development and won't change them as that admits to the design as a mistake. The fact I've seen very little attention paid to the HP-1 problems over the years leaves me little hope for the 436/536.
Old 05-14-2014, 8:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolfbell222 View Post
Yes overloading can be a pain sometimes, but I'll take the sensitivity any day. The signal stalker for me blows close call out of the water.
Instead of overload vs. poor reception, think of it this way: GRE/Radio Shack/Whistler scanners are great for people that live in rural areas and/or are trying to listen to distant weak signals. Uniden's scanners are best for people that live in cities or close to high powered transmitters. And the well equipped scanner listener will have some of both to be prepared for all listening environments.

PSR-500, PRO-96, BC780XLT, PRO-2067, PRO-2006/OptoScan 456, FT-7900, VX5R, VX150
Old 05-14-2014, 9:06 PM

Default Why do it?

If Whistler can address the poor filtering performance of their scanners, which would require a complete redesign of the analogue sections of the existing designs, I may be tempted to outlay some more 'hard earned' on a new Whistler model offering. Unless that happens though, I'm afraid the new models will simply be goats in sheep's clothing (or the other way around).

Why Whistler would even contemplate reintroducing 10 year old digital scanner technology is beyond me.
The RF bands are becoming ever more crowded with trunking, conventional, FM broadcast, cell, LTE etc etc etc. You can't release a scanner product that was struggling to cater for the spectrum loading of ten or twenty years ago and expect it to perform well in today's crowded RF environment.

I've seen comments to the effect that GRE scanners are best suited to those living in rural locations, away from nearby transmitters. But, how many scanner owners live more than a few miles away from a cell site, or a 10kW FM broadcast transmitter nowadays? So, as a manufacturer, are you going to release a product that only caters for a very small minority of what is essentially a relatively small market? It just doesn't make commercial sense.

I live 8 miles away from an FM broadcast site that has several high powered transmitters. I can't connect my PSR600 to a discone and monitor VHF Air or FM comms without an inline FM trap. It shouldn't be like that. I don't have the same problems with the 996XT so designing a scanner to take care of FM, can be done. Incidentally, the 996XT receives really well between 88-108 too

I hope that Whistler have addressed the shortcomings of the previous designs in the re-released and new models. Personally, I doubt it, but will follow the inevitable user reviews and youtube clips with interest..

And this my friends, is what Whistler is up against. These days, consumers are more savvy about laying down the big ones. The first thing many of us do before buying anything, is to go straight to the online product reviews. If those reviews are unfavorable, people just write off the product and move on to an alternative. Whistler needs to get this right straight off the bat, otherwise, the product line and brand will be doomed from day one.

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - BCD436HP, TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)
Old 05-14-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post
If Whistler can address the poor filtering performance of their scanners, which would require a complete redesign of the analogue sections of the existing designs, I may be tempted to outlay some more 'hard earned' on a new Whistler model offering. Unless that happens though, I'm afraid the new models will simply be goats in sheep's clothing (or the other way around).

Why Whistler would even contemplate reintroducing 10 year old digital scanner technology is beyond me.
The RF bands are becoming ever more crowded with trunking, conventional, FM broadcast, cell, LTE etc etc etc. You can't release a scanner product that was struggling to cater for the spectrum loading of ten or twenty years ago and expect it to perform well in today's crowded RF environment.

I've seen comments to the effect that GRE scanners are best suited to those living in rural locations, away from nearby transmitters. But, how many scanner owners live more than a few miles away from a cell site, or a 10kW FM broadcast transmitter nowadays? So, as a manufacturer, are you going to release a product that only caters for a very small minority of what is essentially a relatively small market? It just doesn't make commercial sense.

I live 8 miles away from an FM broadcast site that has several high powered transmitters. I can't connect my PSR600 to a discone and monitor VHF Air or FM comms without an inline FM trap. It shouldn't be like that. I don't have the same problems with the 996XT so designing a scanner to take care of FM, can be done. Incidentally, the 996XT receives really well between 88-108 too

I hope that Whistler have addressed the shortcomings of the previous designs in the re-released and new models. Personally, I doubt it, but will follow the inevitable user reviews and youtube clips with interest..

And this my friends, is what Whistler is up against. These days, consumers are more savvy about laying down the big ones. The first thing many of us do before buying anything, is to go straight to the online product reviews. If those reviews are unfavorable, people just write off the product and move on to an alternative. Whistler needs to get this right straight off the bat, otherwise, the product line and brand will be doomed from day one.
It is like that with my unidens. 2 vhf pager traps from par for vhf 152.48 MHz 157.74 MHz and a fm trap for 96.3 fm and cell block about 870 cut off filter
DONT TEL ME UNIDENS DONT DESENSE.. Try a home patrol 1 a bct15x and 2 bcd996xt's and a 536 without either of the filters or fm trap and you RECEIVE NOTHING and mind you the fm sation is powered at 10watts erp about 3 miles away

according to the fcc its 10 watts

FM Query Results -- Audio Division (FCC) USA

1. Channel: 242
2. Effective Radiated Power: 0.01 kW(H) 0.01 kW(V)
3. Transmitter Power Output: 0.024 kW

discone at 45 ft..
sb 4 port multicoupler

and my pro-197 IS worse but UNIDENS have issues also

Last edited by hydro12943; 05-14-2014 at 10:39 PM..
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post
If your PSR-600 is that bad on the AM aircraft band, there is something else wrong with it the would have been a warranty repair if it was still in warranty. I live about 2 1/2 miles from the Huntsville International Airport and maybe 5 or 6 miles from US Army Redstone Arsenal. My PSR-500 works fine on both AM and FM. It receives the Madison County Alabama P-25 trunk system OK without and overload problems. It works fine on the EDACS 800MHz system that is located at the airport. I have no clue how close the nearest AM or FM broadcast tower is because I have had no reason to check. The PSR-500 also receives railroad frequencies from Decatur which is about 25 miles west of me which my BC780XLT does not receive.

If your PSR-600 is really that bad, you need to send it to GRE America, or G&G Communications for repair because it is defective.

PSR-500, PRO-96, BC780XLT, PRO-2067, PRO-2006/OptoScan 456, FT-7900, VX5R, VX150
Old 05-15-2014, 3:59 AM

Question

The Uniden 436 and 536 both have enough problems already. Whistler hasn't even begun to enter the market. Any other choices out there?
Sponsored links

Old 05-15-2014, 5:02 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
The Uniden 436 and 536 both have enough problems already. Whistler hasn't even begun to enter the market. Any other choices out there?
Yes
Old 05-15-2014, 6:15 AM

Not teasing us. Probably just working out all the bugs so all the features work when it Is released

connor - wqnd300
Old 05-15-2014, 9:34 AM

Wondering what the FCC thinks about *36s components being changed at Vietnam factory. Can't be good for Uniden.

Semper Fi
Old 05-15-2014, 11:11 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberns22 View Post
Yes
What are the choices?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:14 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNutz View Post
Wondering what the FCC thinks about *36s components being changed at Vietnam factory. Can't be good for Uniden.
What does that mean?