RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 AM

The new Unidens seem to be receiving some less than stellar reviews.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 9:08 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Comparable

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
I only see two scanners and they don't look compatible or comparable to Unidens new 436/536.
They said they were going to make the PSR 800 and 900 too. The 800 decoded P25 Phase 2 and Moto X2 over a year ago. So in a sense The 436/536 are now comparable to the PSR-800.

I have the BCD436HP, PSR-800 and Pro-18 as well as about 15 other scanners. They all have their use. I just wish the 436 allowed monitoring an encrypted frequency or TG so I can record the radio ID's to identify the users like the 800 and 18 do.

It would also be nice if the 436 allowed conventional P25 without having to make it a P25 single channel trunked system.

Hopefully Whistler or Uniden will add TRBO, D-Star, NXDN as a firmware upgrade.
Les
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Old 02-05-2014, 9:15 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
You guys fit the definition of insane.. Do same thing over and over expecting different results. You all already know what the 6 that are coming out this year are. You know they are what GRE already had out or in advanced R&D/Pre-Production. Yet you keep going off in dreamland about fantasy junk. How many times do you have to be told that the scanners coming out in March are the PRO-106/PSR-500 up thru the PSR-800/900 and PRO-18 lines for digital, and an analog? The Whistler re packaged/branded GRE PSR-800/900's do Phase II P25, and you all already know this. The new Unidens have only one real advantage as far as usefulness on current system types/flavors: They appear to have taken a big leap in beating the LSM Simulcast P25 issues. All the GPS crappola, app to your phone blah blah blah's... Big whoopety doodah! Does either of them do conventional DMR? Conventional NXDN? LTR Passport, MultiNET, NET? Trunked DMR? Trunked NXDN? No.

As far as systems/flavors go, the Unidens use the exact same old technology that you guys are dissing in GRE/Whistler... Imagine that! I am going to watch and wait for the first new pure Whistler scanners which should be teasing us within a year or so. I waited years for the first EDACS scanners, first multiple trunking, first true P25 scanners. First 380 MHz, 700 MHz capables. I can wait another year or so to see just what Whistler pops out.

How hard is that for the rest of yas?
:twis ted:
Wow, milf, don’t hold back, why don’t you tell us how you REALLY feel…LOL!!

Seriously, I am in 1000% agreement with you on pretty much everything you wrote here.

It truly is amazing the gibberjabber that is going on here with Whistler. It’s almost as if these guys don’t have anything else to do, and just like talking amongst themselves about this subject endlessly and incessantly – as if somehow, magically, talking about it is going to change anything.

As far as the new Unidens go, to give Uniden the benefit of the doubt, it does appear that there are MANY threads where the “problem” being experienced is nothing more than good ol’ cockpit error. However, there are also many OTHER threads where tech-saavy users are reporting numerous issues, issues that older Unidens didn’t have.

Getting back on topic here, I am more than glad to wait out the “gotta have mine FIRST!!” crowd with the Unidens AND the GREs. Yes, yes, I know the ones coming out are just repackaged BUT even with something as seemingly innocuous as that there may be problems so I’ll sit on the sidelines for now. When the early adopters flush out any bugs then maybe I’ll buy one or the other.
Old 02-05-2014, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit780 View Post

It would also be nice if the 436 allowed conventional P25 without having to make it a P25 single channel trunked system.

Whhhaaaaaaaattttt???????

The 436 does NOT do that?

Are you serious!!!???

I know of several P25 conventional frequencies that I want to listen to when I get a digital scanner and I was planning on just putting them in a conventional system and just changing the mode to "P25". However, it looks like if I get a 436 I cannot do that!! That is RIDICULOUS! Does the 996XT do that? I know, off-topic but it looks more and more likely that I'm going to get a 996.....
Old 02-05-2014, 9:44 AM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
Database Admin

Default Is Whistler teasing us?

Calm down. The Uniden does conventional P25 just fine. Mr Detroit is wrong.

The only "problem" is getting it to display P25 Unit ID's on a conventional channel.

If you enter it in as a conventional frequency, it works fine but you can't see the Unit ID's.

To see Unit ID's you must enter the frequency in as a Single Frequency Trunking system. Strange but true.

All of the XT series scanners are the same way.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
The new Unidens seem to be receiving some less than stellar reviews.
So far so good. I have heard more positives than negatives.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIScanner101 View Post
Wow, milf, don’t hold back, why don’t you tell us how you REALLY feel…LOL!!

Seriously, I am in 1000% agreement with you on pretty much everything you wrote here.

It truly is amazing the gibberjabber that is going on here with Whistler. It’s almost as if these guys don’t have anything else to do, and just like talking amongst themselves about this subject endlessly and incessantly – as if somehow, magically, talking about it is going to change anything.

As far as the new Unidens go, to give Uniden the benefit of the doubt, it does appear that there are MANY threads where the “problem” being experienced is nothing more than good ol’ cockpit error. However, there are also many OTHER threads where tech-saavy users are reporting numerous issues, issues that older Unidens didn’t have.

Getting back on topic here, I am more than glad to wait out the “gotta have mine FIRST!!” crowd with the Unidens AND the GREs. Yes, yes, I know the ones coming out are just repackaged BUT even with something as seemingly innocuous as that there may be problems so I’ll sit on the sidelines for now. When the early adopters flush out any bugs then maybe I’ll buy one or the other.
How long will you wait? When do they usually start making or correcting changes?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post

The only "problem" is getting it to display P25 Unit ID's on a conventional channel.

If you enter it in as a conventional frequency, it works fine but you can't see the Unit ID's.

To see Unit ID's you must enter the frequency in as a Single Frequency Trunking system. Strange but true.

Oh, OK then, that doesn't bother me in the least. Sorry for the false alarm rant - thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
How long will you wait? When do they usually start making or correcting changes?
If I lived in an area where it was predominantly digital, then I might have rushed-out and bought one myself. Fortunately, where I live, there isn’t much digital, and, the main agency that IS digital (Nassau County PD) has also decided to encrypt, so no matter what I can’t hear them anyway. In their case, they are still simulcasting on their old analog frequencies, so for now an analog scanner is fine. There are a few Suffolk County PD digital talkgroups but hardly enough to force me to make the digital jump. SO, in my case, I guess I am lucky in the sense that I can more or less sit back and wait. Wait for how long? I’d give it 2-3 months at least. By then, most of the bugs will have been found, and Uniden will either a) address and fix them via firmware updates, b) address them and fix them only with new hardware on as-yet-unshipped new units or b) do nothing. Hopefully Option a.

To your last question "When do they usually start making or correcting changes?", well, that depends upon what the problem is. As you may know there is a known bug in the HP-1 where if you are searching frequencies and you come across a P25 it will stop and you cannot set "avoid", and you have to shut off your scanner and restart it. To me that is a MAJOR PITA as I love searching for new stuff. To the best of my knowledge, Uniden never fixed that on the HP-1 and, worse yet, carried this bug over to the x36HP line. So, to answer your question, I would say "who knows?".

Last edited by LIScanner101; 02-05-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Geez, I just got mine last night and I am very happy with it. Yeah, not something I'm used to, but it's nice to have a challenge once in a while. I was a little annoyed that the microSD card was corrupt, but no big deal...have a few 2GB cards lying around and I was up and running. Half the fun is figuring the thing out. So there's a stellar review for ya!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default P25

Thanks Mike, I stand corrected. I should have said it will do conventional P25 two ways. But either way it won't stop on encryption. The normal conventional way will display the NAC briefly if you hold the channel and the P25 Trunked way will show radio ID's but again won't stop on the encrypted traffic.

Since the XT series never had a firmware upgrade to change this I guess my chances of a firmware upgrade are slim but hey it's a new radio maybe there is some hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post

http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin

How long would I wait.. If I am willing to wait multiple years for an scanner tech to evolve, as I had to do for EDACS, LTR, Multi System Trunking, P25, TRUE P25, 380/700...RR DB... I can wait as long as it takes. It takes at least 6 months to an year for firmware/DSP/software updates to start showing up generally. Check your history on the DSP upgrades for GRE made RS scanners....

Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
How long would I wait.. If I am willing to wait multiple years for an scanner tech to evolve, as I had to do for EDACS, LTR, Multi System Trunking, P25, TRUE P25, 380/700...RR DB... I can wait as long as it takes. It takes at least 6 months to an year for firmware/DSP/software updates to start showing up generally. Check your history on the DSP upgrades for GRE made RS scanners....

I've been agonizing over the decision to get any digital scanner, and the 996XT looks better and better every day.. Even though I said in my earlier post that I don't absolutely have to have one right now for my local area, I DO travel to California quite a bit for business and some areas (Bay Area/East Bay) are going digital. So, I am on the fence. I might just bite the bullet and get a 996XT for now....decisions decisions. I can tell you I will most certainly NOT get an x36HP for quite some time.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIScanner101 View Post
I've been agonizing over the decision to get any digital scanner, and the 996XT looks better and better every day.. Even though I said in my earlier post that I don't absolutely have to have one right now for my local area, I DO travel to California quite a bit for business and some areas (Bay Area/East Bay) are going digital. So, I am on the fence. I might just bite the bullet and get a 996XT for now....decisions decisions. I can tell you I will most certainly NOT get an x36HP for quite some time.
I could have written that word for word myself, difference is, I went ahead and got the 996xt instead of waiting a couple of weeks.
Old 02-05-2014, 1:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default PSR 500 Support

Quote:
All 5/6 of the Whistlers should be hitting shelves by the end of March. Glad to see them do teasers of 2 of them.
Yes, this surely looks similar to my PSR 500. Hopefully, in the event my BNC module goes south, I will be able to have it repaired at Whistler. I hope Whistler redesigns the BNC module for future radios. I'm anxiously awaiting.

Old 02-05-2014, 2:10 PM

N9EWO - Dave's Radio News

Has information on Whistler's scanners, including their version of the PSR-900
Old 02-05-2014, 2:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Would sure be nice if they could make a portable scanner with built-in GPS.

That can't be too difficult to do, almost every cel phone these days have it....
Old 02-05-2014, 2:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanman13 View Post
N9EWO - Dave's Radio News

Has information on Whistler's scanners, including their version of the PSR-900
Wow, great writeups! Looks like there was a lot of links added pointing right back here to RR about all the x36HP bugs being reported...not good PR.
Old 02-05-2014, 3:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I will wait for the new Whistler scanners to come out. Would love to get the 900 rebadge. Was waiting for GRE to introduce them, and then they disappeared off the face of the earth.
Waited a year after the 106 came out to buy. Have had it for almost six years and love it.
Larry
Old 02-05-2014, 6:15 PM

In Uniden's 436/536, Youtube video they said they could have just changed the color of a button on an existing radio then make new ones cuz there was no competition.

Psssst... I'll be busy coloring buttons on numerous old radios for a few days so I can pick up phase II.

Semper Fi