RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ims View Post

Remember, the GRE PSR-900 wasn't finished when GRE shut down, so this will be their first "new" scanner. Admittedly, it's mostly a PSR-800 inside, but there are significant differences (based on seeing and operating a pre-release version of the PSR-900 at a local hamfest anyway). The removable faceplate it has isn't a trivial thing.
Based upon comments posted on another Internet forum by the U.S. programmer primarily responsible for the workings of the PSR 500 and 800 the PSR 900 was indeed ready to be released to the public. But GRE knew it was shutting down and did not want to release it. Thus my guess is the former PSR 900 will be released with how it was in September 2012 with perhaps some fine tuning since then, depending on who Whistler hired from GRE to work behind the scenes.

In a few months we will all know the answers. No matter what Whistler releases it will be a player in the scanner market based upon what we are now seeing as released radios.
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Is Whistler teasing us?

I saw a working unit a couple of years ago at a Hamfest. Raj from GRE was there demonstrating it and I didn't see anything that would prevent it from being released to the public.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipesy View Post
Based upon comments posted on another Internet forum by the U.S. programmer primarily responsible for the workings of the PSR 500 and 800 the PSR 900 was indeed ready to be released to the public. But GRE knew it was shutting down and did not want to release it. Thus my guess is the former PSR 900 will be released with how it was in September 2012 with perhaps some fine tuning since then, depending on who Whistler hired from GRE to work behind the scenes.

In a few months we will all know the answers. No matter what Whistler releases it will be a player in the scanner market based upon what we are now seeing as released radios.
I hope you are right. So far I am not impressed with the Uniden new scanners..... they look awesome but digital signals really suck on decoding.
Old 02-16-2014, 1:15 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
I hope you are right. So far I am not impressed with the Uniden new scanners..... they look awesome but digital signals really suck on decoding.
we sure are getting conflicting reports on the new Uniden scanners....I'm not sure what to believe at this point...The GRE 500 and PRO 106 I have do not do a bad job on the digital signals....I'm not sure I want to invest $500.00 for less improvement or the same...just saying.......
Old 02-16-2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0CSE View Post
we sure are getting conflicting reports on the new Uniden scanners....I'm not sure what to believe at this point...The GRE 500 and PRO 106 I have do not do a bad job on the digital signals....I'm not sure I want to invest $500.00 for less improvement or the same...just saying.......
I agree. One of the feed I listen to (Montco, PA Fire/EMS) used a GRECOM 600 for the fire feed which is all digital. Two days ago he switched over to a 536HP and tried everything to get the digital audio correct and never did. He has opened a ticket with Uniden but good luck on that. Nothing is perfect but $500/$600 for less than stellar is not worth it IMO.
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2014, 6:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
I saw a working unit a couple of years ago at a Hamfest. Raj from GRE was there demonstrating it and I didn't see anything that would prevent it from being released to the public.
Probably similar to the unit I saw, although I believe it was Wayne demoing it here. Talking with him he said it was one of the first working units he'd gotten (earlier demos that year just showed a non-working prototype) and he thought they may still be fine tuning the design. It couldn't be released to the public if only because GRE hadn't gotten FCC certification for it. They could've still been tweaking the design (to fix issues or to optimize manufacturing) or simply hadn't gotten the paperwork done.
Old 02-16-2014, 6:11 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not sure it makes a lot of sense for Whistler to re-release a marginal radio and it's desktop twin unless their are some significant enhancements.

I posted the video of my truck crushing my PSR-800 on youtube -- seemed like a novel idea given the poor performance of that device here in Philly (severe simulcast issues plus the crappy battery life even with the software trick). Two of my buddies, that recently purchased the new unden offerings, just gave me their 800's so I can make a stereo version of the video . Guys in Philly were really disappointed with the 800 - most of them could not get it to decode our Type II system from day 1.

I gave my PSR 500 to a friend in Buck's - that radio didn't seem to deserve the same fate ...
Old 02-16-2014, 6:20 PM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Gentlemen, once again, let's remember this thread is for discussing Whistler's new scanners.

There are already enough threads in the Uniden forum for SD card problems and poor reception that we don't need to discuss it here.

Thanks

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 02-16-2014, 6:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC0CSE View Post
we sure are getting conflicting reports on the new Uniden scanners....I'm not sure what to believe at this point...
Ain't it the truth? I gave up reading the Uniden x36HP performance forums because there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus about their digital simulcast performance. Seems like the only way to know if an x36HP scanner will work for you is to roll the dice and buy one .... something I'm not prepared to do.
Sponsored links

Old 02-16-2014, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ56 View Post
Ain't it the truth? I gave up reading the Uniden x36HP performance forums because there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus about their digital simulcast performance. Seems like the only way to know if an x36HP scanner will work for you is to roll the dice and buy one .... something I'm not prepared to do.
Yeah I hear you but rolling craps for $500 is kinda high. What has me hedging at this point is listening to a person who provides a feed for my county's Moto system (Montgomery County Fire) - prior to using the 536HP he had his GRE 600 decoding Fire TGIDs (digital) without any problems. Nice clean audio almost like analog. After installing the 536HP many transmissions are missed, choppy, or of poor quality.
Old 02-16-2014, 6:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxlong View Post
Gentlemen, once again, let's remember this thread is for discussing Whistler's new scanners.

There are already enough threads in the Uniden forum for SD card problems and poor reception that we don't need to discuss it here.

Thanks
It's hard to talk about new products that don't actually exist ...
Old 02-16-2014, 6:54 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am holding out yet. My PSR 500 does great in my area, conventional and on SAFE-T. Lake County is still dragging their feet on what is going to happen here, they are supposed to do a consolidation of 17 PDs and FDs to 1 central dispatch center by the end of this year. I am pretty sure they will be going to P25 Phase II on 700mhz that is supposed to work with the SAFE-T system from what I have been reading. When I do finally decide to get a new scanner I am going to go with the unit that performs the best in my area.
Old 02-16-2014, 7:23 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Anybody else ready to crush a 500 or an 800 please give it to me LOL!!
Old 02-16-2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIScanner101 View Post
NO, NO, NO - give it to ME!!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 8:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone high atop the redwoods of Venus!

Quote:
Ditto!

Though, IF you are NOT wanting an arm, leg, and/or left testicle for it I will also entertain paying for either model if it's in reasonably decent condition and the box and accessories are available. (Though the last items are not a total deal breaker as I really don't need another CD or cable.) Of course {GRIN!} IF you just HAVE to give it away... {CHUCKLE!} I won't complain.

Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2014, 9:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberns22 View Post
Not sure it makes a lot of sense for Whistler to re-release a marginal radio and it's desktop twin unless their are some significant enhancements.

I posted the video of my truck crushing my PSR-800 on youtube -- seemed like a novel idea given the poor performance of that device here in Philly (severe simulcast issues plus the crappy battery life even with the software trick). Two of my buddies, that recently purchased the new unden offerings, just gave me their 800's so I can make a stereo version of the video . Guys in Philly were really disappointed with the 800 - most of them could not get it to decode our Type II system from day 1.

I gave my PSR 500 to a friend in Buck's - that radio didn't seem to deserve the same fate ...
Hey, you want to get rid of them, I'll take em. LOL

Add on
Of course now that I've replied I get through the rest of the page and find everyone else has said the same thing.
Old 02-16-2014, 9:20 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed6698 View Post
I am holding out yet. My PSR 500 does great in my area, conventional and on SAFE-T. Lake County is still dragging their feet on what is going to happen here, they are supposed to do a consolidation of 17 PDs and FDs to 1 central dispatch center by the end of this year. I am pretty sure they will be going to P25 Phase II on 700mhz that is supposed to work with the SAFE-T system from what I have been reading. When I do finally decide to get a new scanner I am going to go with the unit that performs the best in my area.
This is the situation I am faced with now as Contra Costa County switched and comopletely disappeared on the Freqs. they used to be on. All I get is Contra Costa Fire and Antioch PD which stayed the same.
Old 02-16-2014, 9:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
This is the situation I am faced with now as Contra Costa County switched and comopletely disappeared on the Freqs. they used to be on. All I get is Contra Costa Fire and Antioch PD which stayed the same.
Same here when I travel to your neck of the woods. San Mateo is still mostly analog but I am dying to scan East Bay but I gotta get a digital for that......
Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Same here when I travel to your neck of the woods. San Mateo is still mostly analog but I am dying to scan East Bay but I gotta get a digital for that......
Oakland was always hot even 30 years ago and worst today. SF is also lots of trunking traffic.
But contra costa used to be single freqs. pure and simple not even a trunking system.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Honestly I prefer scanning single frequencies and I hate trunked systems. I just like the diversity of all those different channels instead of a handful of frequencies and lots of TGs. But it is what it is.