RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ56 View Post
Ain't it the truth? I gave up reading the Uniden x36HP performance forums because there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus about their digital simulcast performance. Seems like the only way to know if an x36HP scanner will work for you is to roll the dice and buy one .... something I'm not prepared to do.
I think the reason for the conflicting reports is because it depends on the system you are monitoring. Some systems are simply not set up to spec, and the more you design to that spec, the worse some out-of-spec systems will be.

GRE was/is the same way. In some areas, they work fine. In others, they are worse. In my area, it's a mix. At home they pick up more than the Uniden. When I travel near the city, it reverses and the Uniden picks up more. I don't see how Whistler can help but lean one way or the other, and will likely lean the way GRE did which is not generally the same way Uniden did. You could also have a third scanner brand that is a compromise that doesn't pick up far or overload as much, but then both camps would be complaining (both camps meaning those in dense RF areas and those not).

A have little doubt Whistler (to keep the thread on topic) will be the same way GRE is because you can't design a scanner that is both sensitive and selective without putting a lot more into the design than current retail prices allow. GRE has traditionally opted for sensitivity for use in rural areas to maximize range, but overload easily.

You also can't design a scanner that works well on in-spec systems and out of spec systems because the more you allow for tolerance of out-of-spec systems, the more you could allow the in-spec systems to be mistuned. This is the current dilemma for scanner manufacturers. If all systems were maintained within spec, all scanners would likely work well. Simulcast exacerbates this issue.

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2014, 10:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
But Whistler doesn't have the Home Patrol feature.
What HP feature? The PSR-800 does use the zip code feature load the scanner with local, county, and state frequencies. I presume that the Whistler clone will also have this in the software.
Larry
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
What HP feature? The PSR-800 does use the zip code feature load the scanner with local, county, and state frequencies. I presume that the Whistler clone will also have this in the software.
Larry
I thought Home Patrol was unique to Uniden.
Old 02-21-2014, 6:33 AM

Quote:
I thought Home Patrol was unique to Uniden.
Home Patrol is the trade name for a scanner model for Uniden.

The PSR800 allows downloading frequencies by Zip Code
Old 02-21-2014, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy1603 View Post
Home Patrol is the trade name for a scanner model for Uniden.

The PSR800 allows downloading frequencies by Zip Code
I will have to look at this GRE/Whistler scanner for comparison to Uniden models
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2014, 2:01 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
And it's the speaker/keypad/display location (and underlying circuits) that make the difference. The layout of the 1040 is the same as the PRO-106 and not the same as the PSR-500. Hence, it's a PRO-106 clone which is not the same as the PSR-500 even of they are electronically similar (perhaps even identical).

A clone means it's the same radio inside and out. It may not have certain firmware features (like the recording of the PSR800 vs the PRO-18's lack of that feature), but basically what they did is remove the RS logo from the 106 and add their own. I suspect this is due to the majority of users preferring the layout of the 106 over the 500.

Under any definition, it's not a clone of the PSR-500. Is it essentially the same radio? Yes. A clone? No.

Joe M.
I have both the PSR500 and Pro-106, they are the same radio, and they even use the same third party programs for memory management. The only difference is the the RadioShack version was designed by GRE OEM for RadioShack. I won't be purchasing the WS1040 because it's the same radio with another label with no changes to the design other than the case and logo. So I guess we can agree to disagree on what's a "clone"
MARC ID:3126326
Old 02-21-2014, 5:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIN View Post
I have both the PSR500 and Pro-106, they are the same radio, and they even use the same third party programs for memory management. The only difference is the the RadioShack version was designed by GRE OEM for RadioShack. I won't be purchasing the WS1040 because it's the same radio with another label with no changes to the design other than the case and logo. So I guess we can agree to disagree on what's a "clone"
We don't know for certain whether Whistler hasn't made any internal modifications with the WS1040 or any other model. The only difference visually is the use of red function keys.

I'm just hoping that Whistler pushes the WS1080 and WS1095 a bit harder in order to compete with Unidens flagship offerings which aren't so crash hot right now.
Old 02-21-2014, 6:24 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not so crash hot? I believe UPMan's tag line was "we make great scanners so why don't we just change the color of a button and call it a day". Kinda looks like that's what Whistler is doing to me. I loved the GRE radio line (good and bad features). Too bad Whistler is repeating with old models. I was really hoping for something more innovating.

OT, but my BCDx36HP models are working great, and I expect them to only get better with time.

As the OP said, "Is Whistler teasing us?", not really...
Old 02-21-2014, 6:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Remember that Whistler hasn't been in the scanner market for several years, it hasn't even been many months. The scanners they're releasing first won't have any breath taking changes, they're doing all they can to get the manufacturing and distribution going. There's really no extra time (or cash to spend on) making major changes to what they have. It takes several years to design a new scanner and at least a year to do serious modifications to an existing one (you do want them to work correctly, right?).

Think of it this way, you have a pent up demand for a DeLorean and scored funding. You manage to get the original designs and many of the original molds etc. so you can quickly start rolling them out. What do you do, start making and selling copies of the original or spend all your time and money designing a new version and needing way more time and lots more cash, perhaps going under prior to releasing anything?

Based on your answer to the DeLorean issue above, how many changes do you really expect in the new Whistler scanners?
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2014, 7:07 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well since they didn't hire the GRE engineering, but only purchased the IP, then I guess the DeLorean is only going to be a Chevrolet chassis with a DeLorean stainless body, and a new Volkswagen emblem.

Whistler is no stranger to the consumer electronics business, just look at there current and past product line. I have no doubt that they can do well with "purchased" product lines. Just don't expect much more than what has already been announced.

Soon RadioShack (now closing another 500 stores) won't be able to support scanner sales, so it's up to the die hard scanner heads to purchase the products that are available. That leaves the WS1080 and 1085 (xPSR900 hopefully) to sustain future engineering.
Old 02-21-2014, 8:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Larry
How does the 800 work, how many zip codes can you have the unit scan at the same time? Lets assume the Whistler version is identical, it would be able to scan phase II TDMA system. Philly may someday switch to that so I am interested in it. I'm close to Philly but not in the same county. Would I be able to scan both counties at the same time like I can now with my Pro-197? Or would I be limited to one or the other?
Old 02-21-2014, 9:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
How does the 800 work, how many zip codes can you have the unit scan at the same time? Lets assume the Whistler version is identical, it would be able to scan phase II TDMA system. Philly may someday switch to that so I am interested in it. I'm close to Philly but not in the same county. Would I be able to scan both counties at the same time like I can now with my Pro-197? Or would I be limited to one or the other?
The 800 uses ScanLists. They are like what you have on the 197. You can scan more than one system at a time.

The Zip Code feature gets you a whole bunch of conventional and trunked systems in that area. I don't use the zip code feature. It makes it harder to program what I want and where I want it. I do, however, use the RR import feature to get what frequencies I want in what ScanList. ScanLists can be Alpha tagged.
HTH,
Larry
Old 02-21-2014, 9:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
The 800 uses ScanLists. They are like what you have on the 197. You can scan more than one system at a time.

The Zip Code feature gets you a whole bunch of conventional and trunked systems in that area. I don't use the zip code feature. It makes it harder to program what I want and where I want it. I do, however, use the RR import feature to get what frequencies I want in what ScanList. ScanLists can be Alpha tagged.
HTH,
Larry
Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing "ScanList" is to the 800 what WIN500 is to the Pro-197?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIN View Post
Well since they didn't hire the GRE engineering, but only purchased the IP, then I guess the DeLorean is only going to be a Chevrolet chassis with a DeLorean stainless body, and a new Volkswagen emblem.

Whistler is no stranger to the consumer electronics business, just look at there current and past product line. I have no doubt that they can do well with "purchased" product lines. Just don't expect much more than what has already been announced.

Soon RadioShack (now closing another 500 stores) won't be able to support scanner sales, so it's up to the die hard scanner heads to purchase the products that are available. That leaves the WS1080 and 1085 (xPSR900 hopefully) to sustain future engineering.
So are the [WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner] and the
[WS1065 Digital Desktop Scanner]
comparable scanners to the 436 and 536 Uniden scanners?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: Is Whistler teasing us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing "ScanList" is to the 800 what WIN500 is to the Pro-197?
No. The scan lists are the lists of frequencies/TGID you are scanning. It's the "banks" you are scanning. The 800 uses the EZ Scan software to program the scanner.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: Is Whistler teasing us?

Quote:
So are the [WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner] and the
[WS1065 Digital Desktop Scanner]
comparable scanners to the 436 and 536 Uniden scanners?
Not necessarily... from what I've been able to determine the 1040 is comparable to the PSR 500/PRO 106 & the 1065 is comparable to the PSR600/PRO 197. With that being said Whistler still has not released a whole lot of specs on either but I understand these will not do Phase II reception like the X36s will do.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewhall29 View Post
Not necessarily... from what I've been able to determine the 1040 is comparable to the PSR 500/PRO 106 & the 1065 is comparable to the PSR600/PRO 197. With that being said Whistler still has not released a whole lot of specs on either but I understand these will not do Phase II reception like the X36s will do.

This is difficult to decide between the Whistler scanners and the Uniden scanners.
Old 02-22-2014, 5:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
This is difficult to decide between the Whistler scanners and the Uniden scanners.
I really wish they would announce if they did anything at all with the poor fronet end filtering in the VHF band. That is someting they seriously need to do plus it would not be hard for them to modify if they are just cloning the PSR500 and 600 for now.
Old 02-22-2014, 7:51 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Maybe it is where I live but I have no problems at all with the VHF band with my PSR 500. Could it be that I bought mine probably at the end of their production and they already made some changes? 17 towns FDs and PDs all run in VHF Hi band here and they all come in clear.
Old 02-22-2014, 9:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default VHF on PSR 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed6698 View Post
Maybe it is where I live but I have no problems at all with the VHF band with my PSR 500. Could it be that I bought mine probably at the end of their production and they already made some changes? 17 towns FDs and PDs all run in VHF Hi band here and they all come in clear.
Yes, I receive VHF quite well on my PSR 500. I know many variables can come into play regarding reception, but I hear VHF fine with my radio. I have owned my radio for many years.