RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 1:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wink

I don't know about that?! Walmart already carries alot of Whistler products (the radar detectors and inspection cams)... And they sell a group of Uniden scanners already unless i'm mistaken?
Old 03-01-2014, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgostovich View Post
I don't know about that?! Walmart already carries alot of Whistler products (the radar detectors and inspection cams)... And they sell a group of Uniden scanners already unless i'm mistaken?
At $500.00 price for a niche HOPPY. ???????????????????
TV YES RADAR DECOR YES Radio Scanner ?????????????????? NO
Old 03-01-2014, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberns22 View Post
And I suspect Whistler may end in the same fate within a year or so. Scanning is a niche hobby that is seeing a decline due the increasing inability to listen to various public service systems . Uniden's long term prospects don't look great either - Look at their product line, it is dominated by corded and cordless phones - products that are fast going extinct. What else do they have? Scanners, cb's, marine radios and some baby monitors - not exactly a winning lineup for growth.
GRE went 'belly up' because they hadn't really diversified into other areas. Other areas that may have subsidized a loss making, or at least profit devoid scanner section.

Another major factor that screwed GRE was that they completely ignored the global market for scanners.
You shouldn't underestimate the number of analogue and digital scanners that Uniden sell outside of North America.

GRE on the other hand, kept the North American market blinkers on and seemed to completely ignore these emerging markets.

The fact that Uniden still retains the full 25-88Mhz band in their top end scanners is one reason why they continue to do so well overseas as these VHF low/Mid bands are still used for LMR in many countries today.

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)
Old 03-01-2014, 2:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Price on the intial units will come down quick. Most folks want the 800 and 900 clones and that is were Whistler stands to make thier money. I see your point though. I'd never pay $400 for an Iphone.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-cheetah View Post
Not when they're up against the Uniden 436 for TH Sam price that's p25 phase 2 capable it's not an okay price.
well to me, like i said if they fixed the handful of flaws GRE scanners were known for, i'd pay $500 for a brand new one in a heartbeat. I dont need need phase 2, i need better handling of phase I simulcast, and better handling of ctcss/dcs tones

Last edited by SquierStrat; 03-01-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdf View Post
Walmart selling a $500.00 Scanner? Really...............................

Uniden would be over that in a second and not considering Radio Shack in an instead.
Walmart.com has had the bcd396xt for quite some time. You can get it shipped to any store for free. Priced nicely at $398 right now too!
Old 03-02-2014, 2:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
I'll take that bet.

Back in the day, I owned two RadioShack Pro-2006 scanners. Probably the finest analog non-trunk tracking scanner ever made and it was made by GRE. I eventually sold them because I needed trunk tracking capability which Uniden brought to the market before GRE.

I owned a PSR-600 for a while. Didn't care for the limitations of the memory structure. Didn't care for the way the front end washed out in the presence of strong signals. I traded it straight up for a Uniden BCD996T and was much happier.

I owned a PSR-800 for a while. Sold it. Couldn't stand the user interface. Didn't care for the memory structure. On the other hand, the Uniden HP-1 that I bought at about the same time is still in my possession and in regular use.

Lest you think I'm a Uniden fan boy who just came by this thread to crash your party, I'll leave now and let you GRE fan boys drool over the repackaged old designs that Whistler is bringing to market. No matter what Whistler does with future designs, it will be good for both camps to have competition.
I have lived in both camps, and have had scanners since they existed. So I followed the trials and tribulations of Uniden, GRE, and oh yes, Radio Shack. There are good points that can be credited to all these radios, as well as the not so great. But I will tell everyone that the gem in my collection is the, dare I say, Pro-106. So before anyone ugs, gasps, or pukes, I will tell all that this radio is still likely the best work horse of them all. When I run the 106 and BCD436HP together, it is the 106 that brings the bacon home. In layman's terms it has superior sensitivity and can pull system signals miles beyond the BCD436HP's ability. It has a superior squelch and volume control, and a programing layout designed for John Q citizen and not just Albert Einstein. It is very easy to operate and has a superior display. The programing software is outstanding and supportive. And, you won't total you vehicle while driving using the basic control functions. I hate to admit it, but the technology is out there and available for Uniden to use for their own products. A scanner is supposed to provide a purchaser with an expected service, and not to habitually be in need of user tweaking, trouble shooting, and guessing. And by the way, well written manuals and support documentation regarding software and hardware would be well appreciated.

So if the Uniden Fan Boy is still out there, here's to you enjoying blowing a lot of cash on trash, and being a Beta tester to boot. If Whistler will use the technology available to them they will indeed eliminate the weaker competition.
Old 03-02-2014, 2:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatanchor View Post
GRE went 'belly up' because they hadn't really diversified into other areas. Other areas that may have subsidized a loss making, or at least profit devoid scanner section.

Another major factor that screwed GRE was that they completely ignored the global market for scanners.
You shouldn't underestimate the number of analogue and digital scanners that Uniden sell outside of North America.

GRE on the other hand, kept the North American market blinkers on and seemed to completely ignore these emerging markets.

The fact that Uniden still retains the full 25-88Mhz band in their top end scanners is one reason why they continue to do so well overseas as these VHF low/Mid bands are still used for LMR in many countries today.
This isn't what happened either.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Old 03-02-2014, 3:35 PM

Uniden sells scanners in Australasia and Europe with different band plan for many years, usually without gaps. :: Uniden Australia ::
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2014, 4:34 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris45 View Post
I will tell everyone that the gem in my collection is the, dare I say, Pro-106. So before anyone ugs, gasps, or pukes, I will tell all that this radio is still likely the best work horse of them all. When I run the 106 and BCD436HP together, it is the 106 that brings the bacon home. In layman's terms it has superior sensitivity and can pull system signals miles beyond the BCD436HP's ability. It has a superior squelch and volume control, and a programing layout designed for John Q citizen and not just Albert Einstein. It is very easy to operate and has a superior display. The programing software is outstanding and supportive. And, you won't total you vehicle while driving using the basic control functions.
Aaaaaaand WHO made the PRO-106? No wait, lemeeee guess - GRE!!!!!

Old 03-03-2014, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questnz View Post
Uniden sells scanners in Australasia and Europe with different band plan for many years, usually without gaps. :: Uniden Australia ::
^^ This ^^

And guess what... There are plenty of 396XT's being sold/imported into far flung places like Australia and Russia, where there are extensive P25 networks too.

Uniden are currently doing very well out of non-US scanner sales.

And, I stand behind my comments about GRE failing to recognize these markets and this contributing to their eventual downfall.

If Whistler makes the same mistake and fails to produce reliable, high performance and globally relevant scanner products, they will go the same way as GRE. Uniden already has a huge advantage and head start over Whistler in this regard. Uniden already has an extensive and well developed Global presence thanks to their diverse product portfolio.

Whistler on the other hand AFAIK, only have a presence in North America. This will make it somewhat difficult for them to market and support their products outside of their traditional marketplace.

IMHO, It really is going to be tough for Whistler to compete...

They will need something very special and unique to get back any market share and I'm afraid re-badged, old technology like the PSR500/600 is just not going to cut the mustard (unless they can be retailed for $300).

Whistler will have to produce the WS1080 and WS1095, or something similar, as soon as possible.
But this alone won't be enough to save the brand IMO.

IMHO one of the first things Whistler has to do, is go back to the drawing board/CAD package and completely re-work their scanner RF and IF section designs. They need to improve the selectivity of the front-end bandpass filters, they need to improve inter-stage shielding and they need to improve the quality/selectivity/blocking attenuation of the I.F SAW and ceramic filters to reduce the poor strong signal performance/interference that is commonly attributed to the GRE scanners.

These changes will cost a significant amount of money in design, testing and re-tooling work. Ultimately, the design changes may well add another $100 per unit, to the production cost and to the RRP price, but it has to be done!

If Whistler wants to trim some of the development and production costs, don't have as many frilly bits (bells & whistles). Sure, GPS, Wifi and a color touch screen is all very nice, but really, the highest priority for any radio receiver should be the raw RF/demodulation/audio performance. You tick those boxes and your competition is already 2/3rds beaten.

Some of the features showing up in the Uniden scanners is just plain 'bling' AFAIC, A bit like putting chromed spinners on your RV. Looks good (to some), costs a lot of money and requires significant additional maintenance but it sure doesn't help you get from A to B.

I just get frustrated, because I just want a 396XT sized scanner, with a full keyboard that works well on P25 phase 1 & 2 (including simulcast).. Yep, an updated 396xt, with more memory, but the same sized (maybe a fraction larger) LCD would do me just fine.. Why totally reinvent the wheel?

And, I want a simple remote head, Phase 1 & 2 mobile scanner (much like the WS1095), but again with a full keyboard.

Jeesh, can't believe I just typed all that verbal diarrhea out!

FuncubeDonglePro+ / DSDPlus - IC-R7100 - BCD996XT(x2) - BCD396XT - TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)

Last edited by Boatanchor; 03-03-2014 at 8:09 AM..
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
the highest priority for any radio receiver should be the raw RF/demodulation/audio performance. You tick those boxes and your competition is already 2/3rds beaten.

I just get frustrated, because I just want a 396XT sized scanner, with a full keyboard that works well on P25 phase 1 & 2 (including simulcast).. Yep, an updated 396xt, with more memory, but the same sized (maybe a fraction larger) LCD would do me just fine.. Why totally reinvent the wheel?

And, I want a simple remote head, Phase 1 & 2 mobile scanner (much like the WS1095), but again with a full keyboard.

Jeesh, can't believe I just typed all that verbal diarrhea out!
Back when Uniden was asking what we wanted in a new scanner, I made these points consistently. I asked why not a new version of the 396XT with the screen size of the 125AT? All the Bearcat "Pros" wanted something more technical, the married HP and XT scanners.

Now, all the paying beta testers are having hairballs!

The KISS principle should always be applied. I'll keep what I have and hope that Whistler does their due diligence and blows the new Unidens out of the water.

Hope you felt better after your purge
Larry
Old 03-03-2014, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierStrat View Post
well to me, like i said if they fixed the handful of flaws GRE scanners were known for, i'd pay $500 for a brand new one in a heartbeat. I dont need need phase 2, i need better handling of phase I simulcast, and better handling of ctcss/dcs tones
I don't need p2 either, but I'm not going to pay $500 for a non-p2 when I can spend the same amount for a unit with extra features.

^--^ PRO-106...436hp^--^
Old 03-03-2014, 9:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
IMHO one of the first things Whistler has to do, is go back to the drawing board/CAD package and completely re-work their scanner RF and IF section designs. They need to improve the selectivity of the front-end bandpass filters, they need to improve inter-stage shielding and they need to improve the quality/selectivity/blocking attenuation of the I.F SAW and ceramic filters to reduce the poor strong signal performance/interference that is commonly attributed to the GRE scanners.

These changes will cost a significant amount of money in design, testing and re-tooling work. Ultimately, the design changes may well add another $100 per unit, to the production cost and to the RRP price, but it has to be done!
I have to respectfully disagree. The PSR-500 is quite satisfactory the way it is. The lack of those "upgrades" that you are describing make the scanner really good for weak signal reception. I am hoping that the Whistler WS-1095 performs equally well with respect to weak signals. Going all the way back to the PRO-2006, GRE scanners have been good at picking up the weak signals. The other folks from the DFW area, OTOH, make a scanner that I find to be good for use high RF areas, but I find them lacking in the weak signal area. IMHO, a scanner designed to work well in both of those types of signal environments would be cost-prohibitive for a lot of hobbyists.

PSR-500, PRO-96, BC780XLT, PRO-2067, PRO-2006/OptoScan 456, FT-7900, VX5R, VX150
Old 03-03-2014, 9:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8OAY View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The PSR-500 is quite satisfactory the way it is. The lack of those "upgrades" that you are describing make the scanner really good for weak signal reception. I am hoping that the Whistler WS-1095 performs equally well with respect to weak signals. Going all the way back to the PRO-2006, GRE scanners have been good at picking up the weak signals. The other folks from the DFW area, OTOH, make a scanner that I find to be good for use high RF areas, but I find them lacking in the weak signal area. IMHO, a scanner designed to work well in both of those types of signal environments would be cost-prohibitive for a lot of hobbyists.
I just wanted to say that I had the Pro-2006,and the Pro-26. They were great in the 90's. I especially liked that Pro-26. They where GRE's finest scanners in the 90's just before trunking systems started.
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2014, 6:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-cheetah View Post
I don't need p2 either, but I'm not going to pay $500 for a non-p2 when I can spend the same amount for a unit with extra features.
It could have all the features in the world, and it would still be meaningless to me. I buy scanners to LISTEN to them, and when it comes to listening to my neighboring countys simulcast site, unidens just cant do it. GRE wins hands down.
Old 03-04-2014, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierStrat View Post
It could have all the features in the world, and it would still be meaningless to me. I buy scanners to LISTEN to them, and when it comes to listening to my neighboring countys simulcast site, unidens just cant do it. GRE wins hands down.
Here, Here! For me its all about what's happening and not features.
Old 03-04-2014, 6:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Saw the four Whistler scanners on RadioShack website today; WS1010 and WS1025 are priced at $139.95 and the WS1040 and WS1065 at $599.99. They are not showing in stock yet though. I was hoping the 1040 and 1065 were going to be priced lower than that.
Old 03-04-2014, 6:39 PM

Do a Google search for

whistler WS1040

They're popping up all over!

One source even listed the price at $414 (out of stock of course).
Old 03-04-2014, 6:50 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Seen this on the Radioshack site tonight. All say out of stock of course.

Whistler WS1025 Analog Desktop Radio Scanner. $139.99

Whistler WS1010 Digital Handheld Radio Scanner. $139.99

Whistler WS1065 Digital Desktop Radio Scanner. $599.99

Whistler WS1040 Digital Handheld Scanner. $599.99

They must be getting close....$600 bucks seems a pretty steep though.......