Whistler Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Whistler just emailed me scanner info today.
First new scanners will ship in May or June.

I mention here just the digital models I do not have any price info at this time.
Below are the digital models they emailed to me I can't say for sure if all ship by June .

WS1040 is the Psr 500
WS1065 is the PSR 600
WS 1080 is the PSR 800
WS 1095 is the never shipped PSR 900 detachable face

Thats all the info I have they do show several analog models also.

I asked Whistler to confirm to me that both the 1080 and 1095 do PHASE II
I update when they answer I assume they both will but you never know.

GREAT year for scanners.....

Last edited:

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. That's what I have to keep telling myself. I have the money NOW and I could get the new 436, but I'm not liking what I'm reading over on that forum.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
"Good things come to those who wait".

I agree. I simply cannot, in good conscience drop 5 or 6 hundred bucks to be a beta tester for what are apparently units with some major flaws.

Except for the HP1, a pretty unique scanner which I believe Uniden got right by accident, (and a great design which they have apparently now abandoned), I've always been a GRE fan, and all things being equal, this new base unit along with the renewed availability of the 800 should keep me in that camp.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. That's what I have to keep telling myself. I have the money NOW and I could get the new 436, but I'm not liking what I'm reading over on that forum.

Yeah, that's how I feel as well. I was all set to buy a 536HP, but then when reports of all the problems starting popping up, I put that idea on hold. I think I'll wait until the PSR-900, or whatever Whistler is calling it, is released and then see which one I would rather get. If Uniden has the bugs fixed in the 536, I still may go that route, but if not, my money will go to Whistler.

:)

Ed6698

NWI,

We are in the same area. We have some time (a year or so) before Lake County switches to the 700mhz P25 Phase II system. I like my PSR 500, the digital is great, I want to see what the Whistler Phase II radios are like before I make a decision what I want.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, that's how I feel as well. I was all set to buy a 536HP, but then when reports of all the problems starting popping up, I put that idea on hold. I think I'll wait until the PSR-900, or whatever Whistler is calling it, is released and then see which one I would rather get. If Uniden has the bugs fixed in the 536, I still may go that route, but if not, my money will go to Whistler.

:)

I've had my pro-106 for a few years now...have never updated the firmware and have never had a problem. Apparently with the Uniden stuff you have to update weekly or some things don't work properly...I don't like that. I *think-* I can hold out for Whistler but I can't help wanting to hold my money out to someone and say "take my money!" Hahaha

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Apparently with the Uniden stuff you have to update weekly or some things don't work properly...I don't like that.

The weekly updates are for the database information which ensures the database in the scanner will always be as accurate as possible.

The Whistler versions of the PSR-800 (WS1080) and PSR-900 (WS1095) will feature the same weekly updates.

VE6BRW

I concur, all that I've read about on the 536's is not good and worst of all Uniden is not listening to the "Customers" out there who have spent the money. My god how hard is it to actually listen to people and 1 at least acknowledge them & 2 tell the techs to get off their butts and get out there and do some work/research on what is being reported. Even UPMan is hiding from the issues, nope not me here in Canada I'd be dropping $1500 for a couple of paper weights.... Sorry but I think Ill wait for the 1095 reviews etc and see if GRE listens to the "Customers" on what they would like to see and actually follow all of the systems present and upcoming cause they would make a killing on the right receiver that will "WORK".

RadioDaze

I am so enthusiastic about the WS1095. I'm tired of fumbling with a handheld in the car, but I really love the conventional P25 decoding and audio quality my PSR-500 gives me on the LAPD system. So I'm very happy that it's the GRE heritage that will be behind this first fully-integrated detachable-faceplate scanner. I'm budgeting for it now. Whistler - please come through and don't let it be vaporware!

RadioDaze

P.S. I have no experience with the PSR-800, but if it performs at least as well as that, am I correct in expecting that it will be a reasonably decent radio? I suppose I should download an 800 manual and "bone up" on it.

KC0CSE

I concur, all that I've read about on the 536's is not good and worst of all Uniden is not listening to the "Customers" out there who have spent the money. My god how hard is it to actually listen to people and 1 at least acknowledge them & 2 tell the techs to get off their butts and get out there and do some work/research on what is being reported. Even UPMan is hiding from the issues, nope not me here in Canada I'd be dropping $1500 for a couple of paper weights.... Sorry but I think Ill wait for the 1095 reviews etc and see if GRE listens to the "Customers" on what they would like to see and actually follow all of the systems present and upcoming cause they would make a killing on the right receiver that will "WORK".

You make the best points out of all on this forum....I too will not drop the money to "upman" ...I'm happy with my GRE and PRO 106 at this point...I would like to have the 1095 but will wait for the reviews on this one too...if GRE listens I will buy..."the one who listens will get the money"

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Well, I was like many not wanting to take a gamble on the x36 series scanners after reading and reading the "reviews". Then I kept seeing folks having issues in my area on a local STARS system and was like screw this, it cannot be this bad. Went out and bought the 436. Have to say very pleased.

Now, I am even more happy seeing the "rumor's" of the 800 and 900 coming to light. I will be waiting to see if they are going to do at least the same as the new X36 models or MORE. If they do, then that 900 will be added to my collection. I WANT, WANT, WANT the detachable faceplate and unit for my truck! But then again, I might get two 900's one for the truck and one for the boat!

IMO the 900 is going to CRUSH Uniden and their tinker toy's if they (W) does them correctly!

Just sucks we have to wait until June/ July......

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Again with DUH! 1080 is the GRE PSR-800 re branded/re-boxed. It does P25 Phase II. The 1095 is the GRE PSR 900 that never got to make production, Same thing, we knew it was going to be the big sister to the 800, thus do what it does! The only surprise for me is the removable faceplate like car stereos have for security. The technology is already proven. Just new ownership and packaging. You would actually have to pay someone to mess up whats already done for you and your just repackaging it. This is not GM guys. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.