RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rty View Post
NDXN, TURBO = Yer not getting a scanner
Exactly my point. If there is something you need, make sure the radio does what you need. I've seen cases where someone decides they want a scanner and buy one only to find that:

- the system they want to listen to is digital but they bought an analog scanner
- the system activity they want to listen to is full time encrypted
- the system they want to listen to is using a protocol that isn't supported by scanners (and firmware may not solve it - assume it won't)

And just because it works for someone else doesn't mean it will meet your expectations.

(know the vendor's return policies and get/hold onto your receipt)
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Would I buy another 800? Yes. It's easier to program than my HP on the systems I monitor. It sounds better on digital than my 396XT and HP.
Patiently waiting for the new Whistler/GRE scanners to come out. Do I expect them to do NXDN and TRBO? No.
Larry

Last edited by N8IAA; 03-30-2014 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 03-30-2014, 3:42 PM
Not Posting

Default Is The PSR 800 a Good Radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Exactly my point. If there is something you need, make sure the radio does what you need. I've seen cases where someone decides they want a scanner and buy one only to find that:

- the system they want to listen to is digital but they bought an analog scanner

- the system activity they want to listen to is full time encrypted

- the system they want to listen to is using a protocol that isn't supported by scanners (and firmware may not solve it - assume it won't)

And just because it works for someone else doesn't mean it will meet your expectations.

(know the vendor's return policies and get/hold onto your receipt)

An excellent point Troy!!!

Very much of that statements is true people want the scanner to do one thing when it does another thing and people don't do the proper research!
Old 03-30-2014, 7:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I love my GRE800.. I find it works great.. never had luck with Phase II P25 but the system in our area is spotty at best for that.. with only a couple simulcast PII talkgroups... I love how easy it is to select a single channel or an entire system for a scanlist.. I really do love my GRE.
Old 03-30-2014, 7:17 PM
Not Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZ1 View Post
I love my GRE800.. I find it works great.. never had luck with Phase II P25 but the system in our area is spotty at best for that.. with only a couple simulcast PII talkgroups... I love how easy it is to select a single channel or an entire system for a scanlist.. I really do love my GRE.

Thanks W I appreciate that but some people are saying that the scanner has some simulcast issues. I never noticed any simulcast issues with my scanner on the GO Transit system

Wasn't ever missing any traffic but the P2 support seems to be the only issue with the scanner
Sponsored links
Old 03-30-2014, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC_66 View Post
Thanks W I appreciate that but some people are saying that the scanner has some simulcast issues. I never noticed any simulcast issues with my scanner on the GO Transit system

Wasn't ever missing any traffic but the P2 support seems to be the only issue with the scanner
All scanners have simulcast issues. Sitting here at home 15 miles from the nearest tower I can listen to the system I care about all day and have about 98% decoding.

Get in the car & drive to town and it goes down to around 80% or less depending on my exact location.

It all depends on your location as to the towers............I am pretty sure that at any location given enough trial and error you will be able to either attenuate it or find an antenna that works on the system you want to listen to

Here at home I had to take the scanner OFF the outside antenna & use a old (and I mean OLD) 800mhz duck antenna from a VERY old RS scanner to get the 98%

I have 2 800's and use both daily on one of 2 simulcast systems.

There isn't any P2 systems in my area so I can't help there.

I bought the 1st one because several friends with Unidens were having lots of problems with a simulcast system near us & I wanted something different.....I am happy
Old 03-31-2014, 1:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I had 2 PSR-800's. I loved them but they are too easy to crash the SD Card. If you unplug it or a have a power power failure with it turned on it will likely corrupt the card. I always kept a couple of extra cards loaded & ready to go for just in case.

My Uniden BCD436 has not corrupted a memory card as of yet.

Save Gas. Drive a Diesel...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:53 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rty View Post
Thats because everyone listens to different systems,some dont even listen to Phase 2 ,so their argument would be null in my opinion.I would listen to someone who has or had both the 436/536 and the GRE PSR-800 and actually listens to DIGITAL.The 536 to me,was great on ANALOG,it worked loud and clear.On digital though it had issues....So it really depends on what you will use it for.Phase 1 or 2 digital or analog reception.If I was going for just analog my BR-330T is a just fine,yep and its old school Uniden.(but for digital its a brick)too bad.
But for scanner enthusiasts like us who are waiting 6 months or longer for Whister to come out with scanner product and hear more reports on the 436 and 536. I am going to wait one year. The main great feature that Uniden has is that the 436/536 have the Home Patrol feature so you don't need to program and if you go mobile you can hook up that GPS antenna that will automatically tune in local signals.
The 800 doesn't have any of these features does it? Plus you can get it no more.
Old 04-01-2014, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdiesel View Post
I had 2 PSR-800's. I loved them but they are too easy to crash the SD Card. If you unplug it or a have a power power failure with it turned on it will likely corrupt the card. I always kept a couple of extra cards loaded & ready to go for just in case.

My Uniden BCD436 has not corrupted a memory card as of yet.
Just to confuse the issue. I have owned my PSR-800 for 18 months using it every day and using the original SD card that came with it and always just cut the power without turning it off and never once have I had a corruption of the SD card.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2014, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
But for scanner enthusiasts like us who are waiting 6 months or longer for Whister to come out with scanner product and hear more reports on the 436 and 536. I am going to wait one year. The main great feature that Uniden has is that the 436/536 have the Home Patrol feature so you don't need to program and if you go mobile you can hook up that GPS antenna that will automatically tune in local signals.
The 800 doesn't have any of these features does it? Plus you can get it no more.
The 800 doesn't have GPS but I find it's easier to load systems/channels into the 800 than it is to do similar mobile/on-the-fly imports/loads on the 536. The 800 provides more options than the 536's "zip code plus range"
Old 04-01-2014, 2:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
The 800 doesn't have GPS but I find it's easier to load systems/channels into the 800 than it is to do similar mobile/on-the-fly imports/loads on the 536. The 800 provides more options than the 536's "zip code plus range"
Care to educate me on how you would, say, add a trunk system "on the fly" on a PSR-800?

Or even using "E-Z Scan Digital"? Let's say I had a 30 site system that was not in the library, and I wanted to add it to the PSR-800. My experience with it is that I have to key it in one site at a time - worse yet, one excruciating frequency at a time. You might be able to bulk load conventional frequencies or talkgroup IDs, but loading in sites is a complete disaster.

Did I miss some way of getting a system into the radio?

I've sold mine off to another RR member. Had I been able to work its features much more easily than "E-Z Scan Digital" let me, and if I could figure out a way to make a set of batteries last >4 hours, I would have kept it.
Old 04-01-2014, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Care to educate me on how you would, say, add a trunk system "on the fly" on a PSR-800?

Or even using "E-Z Scan Digital"? Let's say I had a 30 site system that was not in the library, and I wanted to add it to the PSR-800. My experience with it is that I have to key it in one site at a time - worse yet, one excruciating frequency at a time. You might be able to bulk load conventional frequencies or talkgroup IDs, but loading in sites is a complete disaster.

Did I miss some way of getting a system into the radio?

I've sold mine off to another RR member. Had I been able to work its features much more easily than "E-Z Scan Digital" let me, and if I could figure out a way to make a set of batteries last >4 hours, I would have kept it.
I never said you could manually enter a system - hence the word "import" (from the onboard library).

Having said that, I will say I do like the x36 capability to key in information for a new system... I always felt that was the key missing thing for the 800.

Not sure why you only get 4 hours out of batteries -- I get 8-12 hours easily. Of course, I don't have the lights all lit up and/or have it constantly talking. I do, however, recording nearly everything (including the CCDump logs) although I recently ended log captures because I think they were the many culprit in SD card corruption.
Old 04-01-2014, 3:04 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I never said you could manually enter a system - hence the word "import" (from the onboard library).
Fair enough - I don't use that option often so I don't know for sure, but I think the Uniden models only allow you to "add all active systems" or something similar to an existing or new favorites list. In that regard, the 800 would indeed be easier (especially for those of us who travel and would want to just pull in one or two systems during a stopover in an airport somewhere).

Quote:
Not sure why you only get 4 hours out of batteries -- I get 8-12 hours easily. Of course, I don't have the lights all lit up and/or have it constantly talking. I do, however, recording nearly everything (including the CCDump logs) although I recently ended log captures because I think they were the many culprit in SD card corruption.
I'd consider my use to be "average". I had record set to on for everything, lights set to off, and volume to a medium-low level. I went through all the things repeated constantly on the forum, with fiddling with the battery level display settings (etc) in the radio, using quality batteries (eneloop XX's) charged externally, etc. It just never seemed to work for me. Hopefully the radio's new owner has better luck.

Notwithstanding the battery issues I had and the painful programming design, it was a decent radio, especially for someone who prefers the object-oriented programming (the biggest plus of that, to me, was that you could put trunked and conventional data in the same "scanlist", so for example, a fire department on a trunked system with some simplex fireground channels, could all be put in its own list).
Old 04-01-2014, 3:13 PM

I agree -- just another example of what works for some doesn't work for others.

Not sure why but I always seem to return to the Ford Vs. Chevy thing.... but it applies if you've ever bought a car.... Ultimately, I prefer basic solid and reliable transportation to be the most important thing. Everything else is optional.

I've also thought at times - wouldn't it be great to get the best of both in one vendor/radio? Just a couple of problems with that - what you or I consider to be the best features others may not. And then there is the potential lack of competition - we just can't have that!
Old 04-01-2014, 3:24 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have the psr800 set to record new talkgroups on the local 800 system. It doesn't pick up the local AFB P25 both x36's and the 396xt picks up the AFB P25 system fine.
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2014, 3:56 PM

Question

Quote:
But the 800 is now gone. Can't buy a new one. I think the zip code without having to program would be a greater feature to get everything in local area. 800 you still have to program it?
Old 04-08-2014, 5:15 PM
Not Posting

Here's the update:

So i got the scanner back and it looks like its kinda done. The select button is screwed up and I have no idea what I'm going to do
Old 04-08-2014, 5:15 PM
Not Posting

Like it's almost toast!!! Should I just sell it and how much should I offer?
Old 04-09-2014, 1:37 AM
Not Posting

And looks to be like the speaker is fried to so I'm been using an external speaker or headphones.

I just want to say I appreciate all the friendly feedback and help but this scanner is obviously out of my control now, so I have to consider the possibility of getting rid of it.........
Old 04-09-2014, 3:01 PM

I have become very comfortable with my PSR 800. My concern is one of software updates in the future. Advance apologies if this has been answered before. Today we receive updates to the RR database that come out weekly. I read that there is a contract for that to be done until an end date in the near future. Is there any possibility that with the release of the Whistler version of the 800 that the software updates be back comparable? Another way to ask is when Whistler sends an update to the customers owning the new 800 clone, can the old GRE PSR 800 owners use the same update? Thus keeping our software load fresh with the latest upgrades. Thanks

Tags
bee