connecting psr-800 to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerrycaya

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone, longtime posting here had no problems UNTIL I setup my new DELL 8700 computer with windows 7 professional operating system. Using my old computer which had windows XP I changed the com port under the device manager to com 6 and everything worked great. under Windows 7 I went to device manager and didn't notice a designation for that. Anyone running Windows 7 , I would appreciate any help you can give me with setting up the Grecom 800 so I can update my scanner ??????

rock18

Did you install grecom ez scan digital software on the windows 7 machine? The install process installs the drivers needed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

gerrycaya

Premium Subscriber
new computer install

thanks for the suggestion... I did update my new computer to the latest software v 1.8 from Grecom website.. The exact message I'm getting is

The selected SD card does not appear to be properly formatted for use
on your scanner. If card contains data please copy data from SD card
option to copy data to your computer and then use prepare SD card option
on SD card menu to format the SD card then copy the data back to the
SD card.

problem is the computer isn't recognizing the SD card in the first place.
I believe going from a XP operating System using 32 bit tech to
Windows 7 using 64 bit tech is causing the problem and I have to reformat
the SD card to 64 bit.

The scanner is working properly here in Philadelphia, Pa picking up all
fire and police and other agencies so I may just for the time being do nothing.
I'll probably reformat the SD card during the next few months when things quiet down.

rock18

I have gotten the similar message, I have been able to run scan disk or error check from within windows explorer without loosing data.
If you still have the XP machine working try copying the SD card to a folder and then using the ez scan to set up the sd card.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jackj

Do you still get the error message when you plug the microSD card directly into the built-in card reader? Can you download the scanner's data into the computer using the card reader?

Your problem isn't caused by going from a 32bit to a 64bit OS. That would have no effect on the microSD card's formatting. I don't know what is causing your problem but you need to protect the data you already have and establish a starting point.

If you have a back-up card then set it aside and don't do anything to it until you get stuff working. If you don't have one then head over to WalMart and get one. Start EZScan and do an update on the library then write that data to your card. If it works then you're done.

Good luck.

gerrycaya

Premium Subscriber
Hi Jackj , today (Sunday) I went to devices and printers on my computer and finally found a way to bring up the GreCom 800 com port screen and on com ports it had COM 4 . I knew the old computer had COM 6 so I changed it to Com 6 and it did recognize the scanner. I'm going to get a new micro SD disk probably at BestBuy which is closer to me and experiment with that rather than using my sd disk in the radio which works perfectly (so far)...I'm always afraid of sticking the micro sd disk in my computer and I won't be able to get it back out again... I operate under Murphy's law some days .... This new computer has done some strange things like showing the GreCom in my devices and printers window then since changing to Com Port to 6 it doesn't show up anymore when I go to that screen...

Again many thanks for the reply and I will get a new sd card ... thanks Gerry of Philadelphia

IowaGuy1603

..I'm always afraid of sticking the micro sd disk in my computer and I won't be able to get it back out again... I operate under Murphy's law some days ....

The transfer of information will be SO MUCH FASTER using the SD card in the computer slot than trying to change programing via the cable

I put SD cards in and out of several computers 10 to 15 times a week and have NEVER had one not come out. Some things are just not worth worrying about --------------and THAT is one of them

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I've never programed any of my PSR-700/800s through a cable between the computer and scanner. In fact I usually program one SD (Regular/Micro) with a dedicated `reader' and then install that `card' and `reformat' the `card' I've removed to get it ready for the next time I need it. (I also usually have at least 3, and sometimes ever 4, `cards' in the rotation with at least one the same as what may currently be in the scanner just in case I have something happen to the one already in. [SD `cards' or so danged cheap these days. {GRIN!}])

gerrycaya

Premium Subscriber
have updated the MicroSd card now 7 or 8 times without any problems. Don't know why I didn't do it from the beginning. I have three sd cards now, one 2GB that came with radio, a 8 GB I got from BestBuy with the adapter, and another I got from Ebay which is 32 GB also with adapter... Formatting and updating VERY easy... .. My Dell 8700 computer has 4 card reader slots... when I first tried to use the 2GB that came with radio I couldn't figure out how that tiny thing fit in the four large slots UNTIL I got the adapters.... Oh Well, learn something new everyday even at 75 years YOUNG.... Thanks to IwoaGuy1603 and everyone who offered suggestions. My computer to radio link is also working good finally got that straightened out for now but will mostly use the card reader..... Appreciated all the help very much...... Gerry of Philadelphia...

Status
Not open for further replies.