Can't communicate with PSR500

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3ETC

Hello all,

I am trying to communicate with GRE PSR500 and so far am having little success. About 11 months ago I last communicated with the Don Starr software so it was working at that time. I have the GRE blue interface cable and a Radio Shack orange one. No go with either one. I have also tried the GRE software update to upgrade the DSP firmware and still no connection.

I have checked the comm port in Windows.
I have tried different computers.

What am I missing ? Does the radio need to be in a program mode to communicate with the computer ?

Thanks

Ed

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a "cable" problem since neither the update software nor WIN500 can communicate. One common thing people do is plug the cable into the headphone jack (on top of the scanner) rather than the PC/IF jack on the side. Next I'd check Device Manager and see if it recognizes the cable. There you will see what COM port has been assigned. Make sure that WIN500 is set to the same COM port.

Also a note about USB stuff. When you plug a device in, Windows recognizes it and will assign the same COM port as used last time. So if last time you used the Orange cable, it should get reassigned the same port. But when you plug in the Blue cable, for example, it will get assigned a DIFFERENT port. Pick a known working cable and work through the settings.

W3ETC

Thanks all. It was not plugging in the cable to the side PC/IF jack that solved the issue. I am now able to read write to the scanner. Shows how long it has been since I used the scanner as I had become used to plugging a cable into an Icom handheld to do updates !

Now on to trying to get the digital decoding to be understandable for my local system. I will have to research how to do that.

Thanks again

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.