PSR-500 volume control issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Hi. I have an issue when I adjust the volume or squelch on the unit where it emits a scratchy noise, almost like the control needs a cleaning. Can I rectify this without opening the unit up? Maybe some tuner cleaner or canned air, perhaps? Thanks.

ScannerSK

Hi. I have an issue when I adjust the volume or squelch on the unit where it emits a scratchy noise, almost like the control needs a cleaning. Can I rectify this without opening the unit up? Maybe some tuner cleaner or canned air, perhaps? Thanks.

My PSR-500 has had a little scratchy sounding volume knob since it was purchased new. I believe a little scratchy sound is common when you adjust the volume (possibly due to the amount of current flowing through the pot). As long as it is not severe or constant when you are not adjusting the volume it will likely be more hassle than its worth. Its difficult to get tuner cleaner into some of the modern volume/squelch combo pots without drilling a hole in the side (which can damage the part if not extremely careful) or unsoldering the pot and taking it apart.

Shawn

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes just rapidly turning it full end to end several times will help clear it up a bit, temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.