WS-1080 software, card, & cable questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking of adding the WS-1080 to my collection as my first digital scanner. (The analog one I've used for years now is the PSR-310.)

It is my understanding that the included microSD card is 2 GB, and it includes the RR frequency database, which the included software will automatically update (rather than doing it myself as with the ARC310 software).

1. Is the software included, or do I have to buy it (or does it come with shareware)?

2. Can I transfer the database to a larger microSDHC card, or back it up to another 2GB microSD in case the original breaks?

3. It is my understanding that the WS-1080 includes the cable in the box, am I wrong?

Thank you!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The Whistler WS1080 is a handheld multi-system adaptive Digital tracking trunking scanner with Motorola P25 Phase I, X2-TDMA and Phase II capabilities. All USA/Canada frequencies are pre-programmed onto the included SD card making it ready to use out of the box. This model features an easy to use navigation with a multifunction keypad and includes a PC program for easy customization. It also includes a USB cable and PC software. It also has Virtual Scanner mode that can store 200 various scanner configurations. The WS1080 permits recording by scannable object and saves into a Windows compatible file. The clock and calendar function adds date/time info to the recordings and has the ability to power the scanner on at a specific time. The dedicated Skywarn/Weather button allows quick access to frequencies used by storm spotter networks and NOAA weather reports. Additionally, this model features Whistler’s Spectrum Sweeper and a programmable audio and visual alert system.

Whistler Group - Product Catalog

MicroSD Card

Uses an industry standard MicroSD card to store the RadioReference data library and all of your programming - capacity for millions of stored objects! Supports cards up to 32 GB

You should be able to copy the 2 gb card to a larger card...

Last edited:

W6KRU

The software is included. It is on the included SD card.

You can use a larger and faster SD to make a duplicate. An SD card reader will be much faster than writing to the card while it is in the scanner.

There is a cable in the box.

Swipesy

I was thinking of adding the WS-1080 to my collection as my first digital scanner. (The analog one I've used for years now is the PSR-310.)

It is my understanding that the included microSD card is 2 GB, and it includes the RR frequency database, which the included software will automatically update (rather than doing it myself as with the ARC310 software).

1. Is the software included, or do I have to buy it (or does it come with shareware)?

2. Can I transfer the database to a larger microSDHC card, or back it up to another 2GB microSD in case the original breaks?

3. It is my understanding that the WS-1080 includes the cable in the box, am I wrong?

Thank you!

1. - Yes. Comes with EzScan included on SD Card.

2. - Yes. You can use EzScan to make a copy of the SD Card or copy through a SD Card reader. Be sure to format second card. I would suggest using EzScan to format the card. You can use a larger SD Card in the scanner but the larger the card the slower the scanner is to boot. 2 gig is a lot of space and will handle most everything.

3. - Yes. Comes with a USB PC to Scanner cord. You can power scanner through the USB port on a computer. You will need an adapter for using auto plug.

John

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS-1080 Software & cable Questions

The others have covered it well here. There is no disc for the EZScan software, it's ON the 4gb MicroSD card. You simply go into it on your PC in Windows where you click "Computer" and it shows you all the drives then double click the EZScan Software to start it. And no worries if you delete it *like I did* because Whistler has the Manual AND the EZScan software itself on their website for download. Whistler Group - Product Catalog

My card was 4GB and I got the Scanner from Ham Station in Evansville IN. Only took 2 days, very good service. There are two quick-start manuals and a small USB cord with the scanner. I already had an extension USB cord that was four feet and can now run the scanner to be clipped out of the way on the drawer near my bed instead of being limited to the short distance only of the usb cord they give you. A 4GB card starts fast BUT the data transfer rates of updating, saving to the V-scanner, optimizing the data and all things done on EZScan software are slower with a small card. I NOW use a 32gb MicroSD card and all data transfer is much faster, only trade off with a bigger card is you have to wait 20-25 seconds for the scanner to come on with such a large card to read at start-up. I keep the 4GB card for back up

Last edited by a moderator:

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
I bought one yesterday from HRO, UPS gives Thursday as the delivery date. Will let everyone know how it works out, a scanner lacking a keypad seems like a strange idea. Thank you!

W6KRU

I bought one yesterday from HRO, UPS gives Thursday as the delivery date. Will let everyone know how it works out, a scanner lacking a keypad seems like a strange idea. Thank you!

The fact that I can turn scanlists on and off by name instead of having to memorize the number makes up for the lack of a keypad. :D

SCPD

QRT
I just borrowed my friends PSR800 to try it out. I have a PSR500 .. but so far I am very interested.

I am seriously considering selling my 1 week old Uniden 436HP to buy a Whistler 1080.

It will depend on a few things (Unit Id display is one of my big ones) .. but I will probably know within the next few days what my decision will be.

My friend who has both the Uniden 436 (which he hates) .. and the PSR800 is probably going to buy the 1080 as well.

I have always liked GRE scanners .. and now Whistler may be a very viable option. :cool:

Ed6698

I definitely like my WS 1080. I considered the 436HP at one time, but decided against it, even had it in my cart a couple times also. 3 batteries for radio with that size of display was a turnoff to me, should of had 4 batteries. Glad I held out for the 1080.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
... a scanner lacking a keypad seems like a strange idea. Thank you!

I used to think the same thing but got past that fairly quickly.

It really all comes down to the programming software and the ability to import/program on the fly.

For a while I thought it was neat to be able to assign quick keys for sites and other things on the x36 radios but over time, I've concluded this - coupled with the Uniden Sentinel software (vs the GRE/Whistler programming software) - doesn't work as well as the ability to do your own custom programming that can be selected/deselected by scanlist/name vs. carrying around a cheat sheet to remember all of these QKs. Further, the x36s make it really hard to see/determine what is actually enabled. What is enabled is much more obvious and easy to determine on the newer GRE/Whistler radios.

It is also much easy on the GRE/Whistler radios to do a specific import of a system/channel data without a computer.

Of course, everyone has an opinion one way or another.

W6KRU

The construction of the 1080 feels more substantial than the 436. The 1080s display is smaller but easier to read. The audio of the 1080 is better. EZScan is much better than Sentinel. Overall, I prefer the 1080.

SCPD

QRT
Absolutely much easier to read.... and even from a distance. I can't read my 436 display well even up close without putting on glasses!

Giggles .. this is one of the major reasons that I am very seriously considering selling the 436HP. It will depend on if I can display my Unit Id info well on the PSR800 I am borrowing right now (and Whistler 1080).

W6KRU

Giggles .. this is one of the major reasons that I am very seriously considering selling the 436HP. It will depend on if I can display my Unit Id info well on the PSR800 I am borrowing right now (and Whistler 1080).

Yeah, I can't read the lines at the top of the display which indicate which FLs and systems are enabled either. Dept and channel names are difficult as well. It's too bad that the bulk of the information on a nice big display is so small.

Ed6698

I am going to Evansville Indiana this weekend, taking the 1080 with me, got a V Scanner folder already made. I want to hear how a EDACS system sounds on the 1080, works good on my PSR 500, so I am counting on the 1080 to do just as good.

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

I am going to Evansville Indiana this weekend, taking the 1080 with me, got a V Scanner folder already made. I want to hear how a EDACS system sounds on the 1080, works good on my PSR 500, so I am counting on the 1080 to do just as good.

I listen to several EDACS systems here in Iowa all the time on my PSR 800

Status
Not open for further replies.