WS-1080 "USB Device Not Recognized"

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I just bought a Whistler WS-1080 and installed the software from the Web site. The scanner still isn't being detected with a "USB Device Not Recognized" error, after trying both USB2 and USB3 ports. There is a "C:\Program Files (x86)\Whistler\WS1080\Drivers" but it is empty and has no INF files. Using Windows 7. Anyone run into this problem?

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
I tried the INF folder on the microSD card (after taking it out and using a USB adapter) and when updating the device in Device Manager, it says:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Strangely unless I choose "Let me choose a driver", it says that "Unknown Device" is the best driver.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
OK, here's what I did:

1. In BIOS, change Legacy USB from "Auto" to "Enabled" (this is USB 2.0)

2. At this point, every few times you plug in the scanner will properly install the drivers and a COM5 port. Every other time will install the "Unknown Device" and will give a malfunction error in the system tray.

3. Upgrading the firmware will cause the device to cycle, which again flips the coin. I was lucky enough to have the scanner stuck in "Receive" mode (i.e. just before the flash), which when I plugged in two times later, I opened the software again and could flash the firmware, no problems. This brought me from v2.3 to v2.4.

4. Since firmware upgrades are very rare I should just take out the microSD card and plug it into a USB adapter when it's time to upgrade the library.

5. When it comes to batteries, the device recognizes being plugged in to the computer whether the port is detected or not.

I doubt it's a problem with the scanner as a lot of people with my board (ASUS Z97-A) have USB issues when it comes to the USB v2 or v3 and which one to use and when.

starmotionracing

Premium Subscriber
I have the same thing happening with my 800 and I have tried everything that has been posted about it with no luck. Seeing i do alot of recording of calls I just ended up getting another sd card and switching them when they get full of audio.

SCPD

QRT
I personally have found the GRE PSR800 flaky on Windows 8.1 .. even after installing the unsigned drivers.

I use a card reader mostly .. not only is it much much faster, but it is more reliable.

Gasman315

Premium Subscriber
The post from Baayers is also listed on the Whistler Home page. I used it last night and it worked for me Windows 8.1 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.