My Whistler Repair Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

baayers

I haven't seen any posts yet on Whistler as far as their approach and attitude when it comes to having a scanner repaired so I decided to share my experience.

I own a WS1080 and about 2 weeks ago my scanner started experiencing intermittent speaker issues where the speaker would either sound like it was in a plastic bag or in one case go completely silent for a few minutes before returning to normal. I realized that it was time to send the scanner in for repair but I also knew that my previously scheduled events required me to have it back by the 12th. I contacted Whistler on Monday the 27th and after being on hold for less than 2 minutes was connected to Bryan. In a world of outsourcing call centers or having to wait on hold for ever and a day I was surprised. I explained my situation to him and he was more than willing to help. He asked me to write up a description of the problem and also my situation and to make sure to include it in my package. He also asked me to let him know the tracking number once I shipped it so he could keep track of it from his end as well. I missed to cut off time for next day express mail so I sent it priority and it arrived Thursday the 30th.

I received an email fro John Noland on Monday the 3rd letting me know that he was working on my scanner but at that time was not able to reproduce my issue so he wanted to ask some more follow up questions. I had forgotten to put my email address on the letter I sent so I am glad that I had taken the time to register previously. I replied with the answers he asked for as well as a few more details about what had happened. I knew that my day yesterday was going to be crazy so I decided to call Whistler again to make sure that they did not have any more questions. This time I only spent 30 seconds on hold before talking to someone. As I said before this is a major plus to me. John was out of the office so I spoke to Sherry. She was able to make contact with him and found out for me the status. Even though they were having a hard time getting my scanner to present the issue to them (I swear its like taking a car to the mechanic) they agreed that based on the description of my symptoms that the speaker needed to be replaced. At that time they did not have the part but it had been put on order and should arrive Wednesday or Thursday and that everything was on track to get my radio back on time. Later in the day I also received an email from John letting me know the same information Sherry had passed along to me earlier.

I will make a followup post once I receive my radio back in hand but based on my experience so far I have to say that I'm impressed with how they go above and beyond to take care of their customers.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for putting this out there. I do hope you will have a satisfactory outcome. It sounds like there is still something called customer service here in the good old USA.

SCPD

QRT
I too am very interesting in the Whistler products .. particularly the upcoming WS-1095.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I wonder how this repair experience is connected to a GRE scanner forum

Because the heading on the Whistler forum says this:

[NOTICE: this forum will redirect to the GRE forum until Whistler designs their own scanners.]

15plus1

Because the heading on the Whistler forum says this:

[NOTICE: this forum will redirect to the GRE forum until Whistler designs their own scanners.]

Because we all know how difficult it would be to open up the Whistler forum. Is it possible for the RR owner to change the rule and open the forum ?? There are appx 8 Uniden sub-forums, but there could never be 1 Whistler forum.. No... We have to wait until Whistler designs their own scanners.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
I wonder how Whistler will handle older GRE scanners for repair ? - assuming of course they choose to go down that route.

baayers

Could we keep this thread on the topic at hand which is Whistler repairs. When we go down the road involving the category name that the last few posts have taken it ends up with a closed thread.

As to the original topic there is nothing new but will be calling tomorrow to check on things.

Last edited:
I wonder how Whistler will handle older GRE scanners for repair ? - assuming of course they choose to go down that route.

If they dont offer repair,UNIDEN has offered repair services for the discontinued GRE's
Im hoping Whistler does. Ive got a few GRE's!

Im still curious as to the trade in program they offered/are offering..May consider trading in my 800
if they offered a fair trade in price..

baayers

I called today and after about 2 minutes on hold spoke to Augustin. My repair was finished and my radio was in the process of being shipped. A few hours later he emailed me the tracking number.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for letting us know about the repair process -- great customer service is rare commodity these days. Sounds like Whistler is more than up to the task!

CorwinScansNM

Im still curious as to the trade in program they offered/are offering..May consider trading in my 800 if they offered a fair trade in price..

Exactly whose trade in program are you talking about here? Uniden or Whistler?

I would also be interested in that program as for I own a Uniden BCT15X analog only scanner that I definitely want to upgrade to either the Uniden BCD536HP or the new Whistler WS1095 when it releases. It would be nice to be able to get rid of & trade in my old, out of date analog only Uniden BCT15X Scanner to Uniden or Whistler to get some spare trade in money towards the Uniden BCD536HP or the Whistler WS1095.

Analog only scanners are old technologies that are going, going gone & don't much allow us to hear or pick up public safety frequencies/conversations anymore these days in the USA. Everything has gone to digital & or encrypted pretty much it seems. Thus, why a trade in program by Uniden or Whistler would be great for me & everybody else too who needs to upgrade to a digital scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Exactly whose trade in program are you talking about here? Uniden or Whistler?

Another poster reported this from a Whistler email back in January:

"We plan to have a trade in program for customers who have GRE or other
brand scanners and would like to purchase a Whistler. The trade in program
will give a discount off the price of a new Whistler scanner when you
trade in your old unit."

I don't think there has been any further word on that from Whistler.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gr...onse-whisler-today-1-16-14-a.html#post2107434

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I received my radio on Tuesday 11/11 and all is good again. I am so glad to see that they stand behind what they sell and will work with you.

Thankfully I've never had to send in any of my scanners for repair. However, seeing that I am planning on buying a WS-1095 when it's released (whether I really need it or not LOL), it's great to hear that Whistler has what appears to be top notch customer service and repair departments (in the event that I'd ever need to utilize them).

Thanks for letting us know about your experience with them.

:)

plato

GRE Scanner Repairs.

Personally, I would send any GRE scanner needing repair to G & G Communications in New York. Gerry has a "junkyard" full of old scanners he uses for parts. Uniden has no such resource like that. Also, Gerry does a top natch job when it comes to repairs!! Used him many times in the past for repairs!! Very Professonal!! Dave Richman. KB2-VXL.

Status
Not open for further replies.