WS1080 air band performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
I know this isn't the main reason you buy a scanner like this, but I'm wondering how the WS1080's air band performance compares with that of the BCD436HP's. How about the 396XT's?

I appreciate it!

SCPD

QRT
air band!

I know this isn't the main reason you buy a scanner like this, but I'm wondering how the WS1080's air band performance compares with that of the BCD436HP's. How about the 396XT's?

I appreciate it!

The airband on my PSR-800 / whistler 1080 is LOUD and clear compared to my BCD-436hp which has fuzzy sometimes inaudible air reception.If I was judging on airband and VHF high alone,I'd go to the GRE 800 or Whistler 1080 hands down comparing em using stock antennas.I can receive
Teterboro,Newark Liberty,La guardia,and caldwell airports and I live in Clifton,nj.Milair is alot better on the GRE whistler1080 too,I never get anything on milair on my 436 like I do on the PSR-800 Whistler radios.The 436hp's sole purpose is phase 2.My friend has a 396xt and I still like the GRE800 on airband.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If monitoring the air-band is your primary goal, I highly recommend Uniden's BCT15X.

My experience with GRE (aka; Whistler) scanners on the air band was not impressive. The radio is easily overwhelmed by strong FM broadcast stations. You can buy a filter to alleviate this issue, but that's added cost.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
Air band is important, but I'd like to start listening to digital trunked systems and public safety like I did in the analog days.

I wonder how these radios compare to the AR8000 that I currently use for air band. I live just miles away from Minneapolis-St. Paul Int'l Airport. And I use an FM trap hooked up to an RS inline amplifier to overcome a long cable run to a quarter-wave ground plane antenna.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Air Band performance Video

I know it's been a few days since the last post here but I do have a video of the WS1080 doing Air Band. I was about 14 Miles west of ORD Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. Antenna was a simple bnc Radio shack center load extendable. Any vibration in the sound is that of the cheapo Camera I recorded it with and it was very close to the scanner. Pretty good reception at 14 miles. I don't listen to a lot of Air Band but I've seen people asking about this with the Whistler. I'm happy with it and this video is just another reason why.

Whistler WS1080 Police scanner, AIR Traffic from ORD - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Air Band

Sure thing. I've had this scanner for 3 months now and I'm very happy with it. Once you learn to set up your EZScan form and upload it everything's pretty easy. I had seen a few people mention Air band so I made one more video since I'm near O'Hare. I listen to O'Hare in the Winter a lot and hear the Icing crews and other fun.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Johnny, I am surprised that the RS center loaded antenna hasn't snapped on you yet using it that way. I live in Buffalo Grove and I use my ham triband mobile antenna connected to my BC396T and I get good reception of ORD tower out to Lake Zurich whic is a bit of a haul.. Your mlage may vary though..
Yours truly Johh.. oh I mean Joe , N9JCQ :)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Air Band Performance

Ah yes. Safety first. I only extended that when I was parked like it was for the video and just to take the picture. It gets closed down or taken off while driving. I never really use that one while driving, I use the RS 800mhz and the scanner master 800mhz or even a racing stub since I listen to Starcom21 while in the car because our Fire/Amb works off there. I used to work right next to O'hare long ago and we had 3 guys that were Air band/Scanner guys who would sit for 2 hours after work just listening to all the ground frequencies and calls. That was before 9/11/2001 though. Happy Thanksgiving to all. :0)

SCPD

QRT
Man that rado is extremely busy on airband in your area,I live near 4 airports and I dont hear that much!

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Air Band

Yes. It's either the 1st or 2nd busiest. I think Atlanta is #1 still. But I downloaded a large number of ground and Tower Freqs to put in one Scanlist just to show people what kind of reception it gets. You could always pick and choose certain Airlines off the menu as many or as few frequencies you want to hear on that scan list from Ohare. I found a Helio-Pad in Schaumburg IL for some businesses I didn't even know was there till I happened to be eating lunch a block from it when it landed. I listen to them and Shadow Traffic Copter for Chicago a lot.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
And don't forget Midway Airport, Chicago Executive and DuPage Airport as contributors to the local air traffic here. There are planes landing at O'Hare every 25 or 30 seconds during the day or evening.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Air Band performance

Yes. I used to Golf a lot out in DuPage county and at times after I'd sit by DuPage Airport listen to Air Angles Helio channels and Air Traffic before going home. I was surprised how long DuPage runways were. If you hear it's name and if you've never been there you might think it's like the Schaumburg airport or even Dekalb's small airport. Full scale Jets were coming and going, not just the private jets and small planes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.