Whistler, WS 1080 New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

Hello,

Went and did the plunge and got a new WS 1080, anyone used the EZ software for programming, or is there any other option's, Also one other simple question, is there a hold button on the radio for a freq. or agency, and a option to keep the back light on all the time, GRE and Bearcats, you just hold the button.

Thanks

N8IAA

Hello,

Went and did the plunge and got a new WS 1080, anyone used the EZ software for programming, or is there any other option's, Also one other simple question, is there a hold button on the radio for a freq. or agency, and a option to keep the back light on all the time, GRE and Bearcats, you just hold the button.

Thanks

EZScan is the only software. It not only programs the radio, but does DSP updates, firmware upgrades and database updates. There is a menu object that allows the backlight always on. The Pause/SEL is under the Skip button. It allows you to pause on the frequency or TGID. The only way to stop on a single agency/system is to program it as a separate Scanlist, as far as I know.
Larry

W6KRU

I really like EZScan and I don't know of any alternatives. To Hold on a channel, press the SEL button and press it again to resume scanning. For backlight, on EZScan under backlight set Mode(Pwr) to On.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,783

dwayne0564

Thanks Guys, a lot different than my BC 436 and my GRE 500, got to download the software, but now another issue, go through and select my area, and when it gets back to the menu, it says "nothing to scan", I have the group checked and watched it download the information. suggestions,

Thanks

W6KRU

Thanks Guys, a lot different than my BC 436 and my GRE 500, got to download the software, but now another issue, go through and select my area, and when it gets back to the menu, it says "nothing to scan", I have the group checked and watched it download the information. suggestions,

Thanks

I can't help with that. I despise location based scanning and built my own scanlists.
Maybe you can spot something at this link to help: Easier to Read PSR800 - WS1080 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan Software Manual

Ed6698

I do believe you have to make sure the scan list items are checked for the location based scanning. Then go to scan sets in the Main Menu, I have my location based scanning in a scan set I named"My Location", then make sure the scan set members are selected in that scan set, by pressing the Menu button in the scan set you want. Kind of hard to explain all the steps, hopefully this will help some.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler WS1080 new Owner

At first I DID have some trouble with EZScan freezing and not opening and I even have a Solid State Drive with Windows 7. The program wasn't showing correctly on the screen no matter what screen ratio I tried. I couldn't see all the buttons at the bottom to navigate the menus. I eventually deleted the whole EZScan program using Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode to make sure and get all bits of it out. I then downloaded the EZScan program from Whistler's site. It's there under the Red Find updates* tab on top. Whistler Updates I chose the - WS1080 Deleted/Reformatted SD card - EZ Scan IS NOT installed on PC tab and downloaded from there. Now the program works fine, and fills the screen correctly. I don't know if I got a bad copy of it that came with the scanner's MicroSD card or what? but now it works fine. I can't recommend you delete it but that's what I did. There is another download on that Whistler site page for "IF you still have the program on the PC" where you don't have to delete it. Maybe THAT version will help? I too had a "nothing to scan" show up once. I forgot to use the program menus correctly. Download in the Library Import area making sure you import to the correct Scan Lists you can name. Then under FILE - Copy current data to V-scanner folder you save it there. THEN under Scanner/SD Card on top the EZScan menu I chose COPY Configuration TO Scanner/SD memory card. This is all AFTER the updates have been applied in UPDATES on the EZScan software of course. I'm glad Whistler has the EZScan download on their site. It was easier to find before but they've changed and updated their Web page. Hope you can get this to work, I have no problems using it with Windows 7 ....now.

dwayne0564

Ok, downloaded EZ and my only problem is that I can't get it to import to the Scanner, It downloads the files to the library, but under the copyright in the library section, were it says in the bottom right , Import selected channels, nothing is highlighted, to where you can download them, I was also just trying to do a
restore to default setting and can't get that to work either, Downloaded on Windows XP, that wouldn't make a difference would it.

Thanks

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler WS1080 new owner

Oh man.... I thought you had Windows 7 or above. Good luck with XP it's 13 years? old? I've seen nothing but problems from people in here with XP and trying the software for these newer scanners. You might have to call support at Whistler if you can't get it to work. Maybe an XP user with a PSR-800 or WS1080 can help. YOU start by hitting "Standard" where it says select type in the Library Import area, that's the best way, then the menu appears on the left where you can select state/county/etc. To start over you go up to FILE - new configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:

W6KRU

Ok, downloaded EZ and my only problem is that I can't get it to import to the Scanner, It downloads the files to the library, but under the copyright in the library section, were it says in the bottom right , Import selected channels, nothing is highlighted, to where you can download them, I was also just trying to do a
restore to default setting and can't get that to work either, Downloaded on Windows XP, that wouldn't make a difference would it.

Thanks

It sounds like you haven't selected anything to import yet. If you just want to copy the library to the scanner, use the copy library function in the Scanner/SD Card menu.

Did you get a driver loaded? That could be tough on XP.

Last edited:

dwayne0564

got the drivers loaded, its working sort of, In my law dispatch, its picking up some of the local's but not all, kind of concerned, I'm only several miles from their tower, but, I also read that some have had a issue with their Media card, anyone else had that issue. and when creating a scan list, is there a way to do a import to a scan list without making it manually

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
I've read the Uniden's have had problems with SD cards, not the WS1080. It's one reason I chose the WS1080. Had None with either one of my cards.

dwayne0564

I have tried to install the EZ software on my other computer, and are having problems, with the Norton's, it says it doesn't recognize the software and says its a virus, anyone else had that. also, on the one computer that I have EZ installed, ( still working on getting it to work,) I have some talk groups recognized and some that aren't, Any suggestions, it seems like my local group is on P25 I rebroadcast on the 800 MHz isn't even being picked up again, or vary rarely, any suggestions, sure was easier to program the GRE 500 and the BCD 436 also is it possible to do the import to talkgroups rather than Law Dispatch.

thanks

marktscanner34

Premium Subscriber
tarheel

Yes there is an option for keeping the light on. I was very disappointed that this scanner does not charge the batteries. Reception is poor compared to the pro 106. An ok scanner at best lots and lots of room for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.