Not able to do firmware , library update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baptistjcat

I tried to do a firmware and library update for my Ws 1080 but was unsuccessful. For the firmware the EZ scan said that it could not find that the scanner was connected to the PC. When I tried to do the library update, the EZ scan said that it could not find the drive; so I could not copy anything to the scanner. I have tried using a different USB cable but that did not help.

Last edited:

TAbirdman

What PC system are you running XP, Win 7, Win 8 etc? Have you tried a different USB cable or port?

baptistjcat

Thanks for your reply. It is windows 8. And yes I tried to use a different USB and port. The results were still the same.
I have just found a section on the Whistler web site about USB drives not working with windows 8. It gives a pretty
good step by step method for getting things right. I'll follow what it says to do and hope for the best.

Last edited:

kybervon

I have a WS1080 and a PC running Win 7. When I first got the rig, I was able to connect to the computer via USB. Shortly after doing the latest firmware update I couldn't get it to show up on my computer. I tried all kinds of things (re-installed EZScan, drivers etc). Nothing would work so I sent it back under warranty. I received it and it works fine now. They didn't advise what they had to do but I noticed it still has the older version of firmware. I'm holding off on upgrading the firmware. I don't scan any GE systems anyways.

TAbirdman

there should have been some notes in the paperwork sent with the scanner. I had Whistler work on one of my radar detectors once and the paperwork was the shipping label.

baptistjcat

When I tried to do an update last month, something went wrong and it erased my library data base. Then the computer said that it would not recognize the scanner. I went and tried another computer and that one would not recognize the scanner either. I contacted Whistler and they said that the SD card was most likely corrupted. Whistler has been great on there customer service, and they sent me a new SD card with an updated library. Scanner works great now, but I've been reading that there is a new firmware update. I'm a little scared to try to plug it into the computer. I don't wanna erase another SD card.

SCPD

QRT
I'm a little scared to try to plug it into the computer. I don't wanna erase another SD card.

There was no reason for them to send you a new card .. you cannot destroy your sd card unless you physically damage it .. like by dropping or other physical issues.

Even if it is corrupt .. you just reformat it and copy your configuration over to it. Takes all of a few minutes.

You cannot erase a card .. unless you "format it" .. using sd card formatting software .. or 'prepare scanner memory / sd card for use' from the GRE / Whistler menu item.

You also cannot damage the scanner by doing the update ... so there is absolutely no danger in doing it.

baptistjcat

I don't remember now exactly what happened but the computer that I was using did an automatic software update while my scanner was plug in. and this was when my scanner was in process of doing an up date. Perhaps that erased the library ? after that the computer would not even recognize that the scanner was plugged in. Tried another computer same issue. I will try again when I can get back to my cousins computer. If you don't mind what are the steps for doing updates ?

jackj

You need to install the Windows drivers for the scanner. There is a procedure that will let you install the drivers for Win7 on Win8. You will need to do a search to find it. If I remember right, the procedure is here on the Web site.

SCPD

QRT
The required WS-1080 driver is in this zip file ...

Once installed (right click on inf file and click install) you should see something like "WHISTLER WS-1080 Serial Device (Com XX)" under your ports item in Device Manager in Windows 8.

Sounds like you need to redo your sd card .. so do the "Prepare scanner memory / sd card for use" from the Scanner / SD card menu in the EZ Scan software for the Whistler WS-1080. (Remember this will ERASE all your data on that sd card .. so be sure you want to do it and there is no data that you do not have in your configuration).

I recommend keeping an Archive copy of your configuration .. which can be done using the EZ Scan software.

Make sure you .. copy your configuration and library files as needed and you should be good to go.

Let us know what happens.

Attachments

• Whistler_WS1080.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

baptistjcat

Thank you very much. this is pointing me in the right direction. I do appreciate the help. Now the hard part is getting to use my cousins computer since he works nights. but as soon as I get another crack at it ill let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.