Whistler WS 1080 Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

talbot

Premium Subscriber
I just received a new WS 1080. It is a superior scanner. However, I can not get my PC to recognize it when I try to update the scanner CPU and DPS firmware. The scanner screen reads "waiting for USB" and the EZ Scan program reads "scanner not located". I followed the instructions to the letter but it does not connect. I am using Windows 8.1 in a Dell PC.
Can anyone assist?

talbot

Premium Subscriber
Hello Ed6698,
Thank you for the information and assistance. I successfully installed
Whistler driver 5.1.2600.0 dated 11.15.07 on my PC.
However I still get the "waiting for USB' message when attempting to connect
the scanner CPU to my PC.
Could you provide any more help?
Thanks again.

Ed6698

I can't really help you much more, I followed those exact steps and it all worked fine on my Win 8.1 x64 system. Just make sure scanner is off before connecting to computer, and maybe make sure you are using a USB 2.0 connection on computer. Even though I can use a USB 3.0 connection if I plug into that. Could be a firewall or antivirus program, maybe someone else can go into it further.

tumegpc

I had similar issues in the past and here are a couple things that have worked for me. Use a powered USB hub that stays connected all the time. The one I use is the Amazon Basics 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 5V/4A power adapter. It's been rock solid and recognizes all my peripherals. I also keep my scanner cable plugged into the same port on the hub.

Once you are connected to the scanner wait about 15 seconds for computer to recognize the micoSD card. This process is sometimes done in the background. You can confirm this in Windows by going to the Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Device Manager - Ports (COM & LPT) here is where you should see -
Whistler WS1080 Serial Device (Com XX) . This is also true for most other scanners.

talbot

Premium Subscriber
Hello Ed6698,
I tried it again and it worked.
You have saved me a ton of headache and $.
Thank you for your assistance.

Ed6698

Hello Ed6698,
I tried it again and it worked.
You have saved me a ton of headache and $.
Thank you for your assistance.

Glad you got it working. The thing that is a problem for me helping anyone is that I have not had any problems with this scanner to really troubleshoot anything to help someone other then this initial problem of getting the computer to work with scanner and EZ Scan. This scanner has worked flawless for me since day 1. I am really glad I waited and went with the WS 1080, this scanner is awesome. Compared to one other brand where the forum is never ending of countless problems, this forum for the WS 1080 hardly has anyone with any issues.

marksmith

I have PSR-800 version and I agree it is a great scanner. Whistler has put out 2 firmware upgrades for it since they bought GRE.

BCD536HP/HP2/996XT/PSR800/396XT/996T

marksmith

I think I need to revise this comment. GRE is contractually obligated to continue providing updates so I guess Whistler isn't involved unless GRE is paying them to do it for them.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I had a customer return one unit to Whistler due to "not connecting" to the PC all of a sudden (after it had been connecting for a while).. i will follow up and see what the Whistler tech staff find was wrong with it

JazzyJeff

Did everything that the Whistler site told me to do to get the drivers installed, but right after this step:

9. Right click on the USB device ComX) item above and select 'Update Driver Software.

my computer freezes, displaying 'Not Responding' in the control panel's title bar for as much as hour after which I decided to give up. Had to go into the task manager to kill the control panel. Am I doing anything wrong here?

MichaelBhere

I think I need to revise this comment. GRE is contractually obligated to continue providing updates so I guess Whistler isn't involved unless GRE is paying them to do it for them.

GRE has no obligations to the products they sold and has not had anything to do with scanners since the sale to Whistler. Updates since the sale have been from Whistler

Status
Not open for further replies.