800 Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

colbrz1319

Premium Subscriber
Sent off the "beast" to Scanner Master for a total overhaul yesterday. After being told by Whistler Group that they will not touch the old GRECOM products, I "ponied up" the funds, and off to the post office I went. Thanks to all those who attempted to help me on this forum, but the stroke of '08, took a toll on me, and the skills to revamp just aren't there. God bless, COLBRZ

Nasby

Good luck Colbrz.
Sometimes life is just too short and it makes sense not to waste too much time and frustration on things.
Enjoy your road trip!

Blackswan73

They bought the company, but won't support the products from the company they bought. That sucks. I got a hunch they will take the same stance with Radio Shack scanners, even tho they built them. Doesn't look like a good buisness model, or a way to win friends and infunce prospective customers. Not a rosy outlook for either Grecom, or RS owners.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I dont think Whistler **bought** GRE.... just acquired their patents after GRE went belly up.
Nor did Whistler build all the Radio Shack Scanners.... only the Pro-649 Pro-650 Pro-651 Pro-652 Pro-668

I wouldnt expect Whsitler to give warranty service on GRE or RS scanners... but I agree might be nice if they did do repair for a price

(Uniden has even said they may do the repair on these for a cost)... you people could look into that.

They bought the company, but won't support the products from the company they bought. That sucks. I got a hunch they will take the same stance with Radio Shack scanners, even tho they built them. Doesn't look like a good buisness model, or a way to win friends and infunce prospective customers. Not a rosy outlook for either Grecom, or RS owners.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I understand now (thought you meant GRE my mistake)... yes it does suck that if RS goes out then the scanners will basically have no support etc... I know a lot of people only wanting to buy Whistler radios now due to lack of potential future firmware/support for the RS scanners

I guess I was a tad ambiguous. I was referring to whistler built RS scanners. Yes. At least uniden offers to repair them.

colbrz1319

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this "Open Letter" to Whistler Group to reconsider their policy and honor a service/parts component of the GRECOM/Radio Shack product line, will stimulate change at the management level. No one disputes the "fee for service" mindset of paying reasonable charges to refurb damaged or outdated products, and in the event that damages exceed reasonable repair limits, a "discount coupon" towards a future Whistler Group Scanner purchase be issued. This would go a long way in convincing the well educated casual listener, as well as seasoned Ham Radio operators, that Whistler is" IN IT, TO WIN IT." Quality products and loyal customers are what this nation was built on, as well as Uniden is reading these blogs each day, hoping that Whistler drops the "brand loyalty" ball mid-game.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I think until Whistler designs and builds a scanner on their own (something not based on GRE IP), it's hard to say what they are IN or OUT of. Yes, it stinks they won't offer repair for a fee on GRE/RS devices, but it's certainly their choice (and perhaps a good business decision) not to.

The do fully support their branded devices. Regardless what we think - petitions, letters, and the inevitable "class action" thread, Whistler is free to make decisions that benefit their stakeholders.

TAbirdman

This GRE Service deal cracks me up. IF Whistler didn't get the IP from GRE and entered into the scanner business GRE would have died a normal death. Service of any GRE scanner would be left to whomever had parts left. Nothing really changed since Whistler came on board other than maybe battery holders, and battery doors which fit. older models.

With RS, technically they are still in business, until they close ALL stores or get bought and reorganized its RS deal whether they support there own products or not. Back in the day when Chevy sold the GEO line which was basically Toyotas, you wouldn't take a GEO to a Toyota dealer and expect to get warranty work done on it would you? Its the same with RS/whistler, whistler made them to RS specs but its not a Whistler product.

I think until Whistler designs and builds a scanner on their own (something not based on GRE IP), it's hard to say what they are IN or OUT of. Yes, it stinks they won't offer repair for a fee on GRE/RS devices, but it's certainly their choice (and perhaps a good business decision) not to.

The do fully support their branded devices. Regardless what we think - petitions, letters, and the inevitable "class action" thread, Whistler is free to make decisions that benefit their stakeholders.

they should make universal firmware...problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.