Any advantage in buying the 1080 over the PSR-800 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
I prefer a portable and don't want the new Uniden, but considering the 1080 vs. the PSR-800

realize the 1080 will receive Phase II out of box whereas the 800 I believe needs to be downloaded..

Same frame as 800, different company.

As we all know the 800 can be purchased at considerable less than the 1080 but no support or parts

Thanks

John

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Same guts as the psr-800 as well I believe...

Major Point is the 1080 will have future firmware updates from Whistler.. its on Firmware 2.6 where the PSR-800 is on 1.9 (thanks to DonS) and that will probably be it for the 800.

Both will have RR database updates

SCPD

QRT
Given the choice I would get the 1080 .. but me, I have a PSR800 and it works great. But I did get a great deal on my PSR800 from a friend that bought a 1080.

They are very much the same .. and on the 1080 you can enter in frequencies manually. Not a big thing for me, but to some it may be.

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
Any advantage in buying the WS1080 over the PSR 800

I am getting the radio shack version PRO 668 can I enter conventional freqs. manually?And do I get support from whistler?

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much!

Sounds like even though the 800 is an excellent model for Whistler to copy, the 1080 may be more reliable, I.e. Future software updates dependent on sales

but as a former PSR 500 owner I was impressed with GRE's innovation some which Uniden copied. So hopefully Whistler will follow in the goal

John

SCPD

QRT
Hello can you answer my question above?

I wouldn't buy the RS model period. I would go with the product where there would be future support and that is the Whistler 1080 .. just cause the future of Radio Shack and thus supportability right now is well debatable.

Ensnared

Firmware

I prefer a portable and don't want the new Uniden, but considering the 1080 vs. the PSR-800

realize the 1080 will receive Phase II out of box whereas the 800 I believe needs to be downloaded..

Same frame as 800, different company.

As we all know the 800 can be purchased at considerable less than the 1080 but no support or parts

Thanks

John

Firmware updates. Whistler does not support PSR 800 firmware updates.

dkf435

I wouldn't buy the RS model period. I would go with the product where there would be future support and that is the Whistler 1080 .. just cause the future of Radio Shack and thus supportability right now is well debatable.

Well put it this way, how can you not turn down buying 2 radios for the price of one?

David Kb7uns

SCPD

QRT
Well put it this way, how can you not turn down buying 2 radios for the price of one?

David Kb7uns

Yes I would totally turn it down ... and why I still would not buy it. You get what you pay for .. no future support. When it becomes a boat anchor, then it is not such a great deal.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Ordered 1080

Just ordered the 1080 on line for about $407 shipped

Thanks for the insight as a former GRE PSR-500 owner was and still is a good scanner but the lack of parts and support for any GRE is a major factor regardless of prices of the 800

MONITORING247

what dose the future of radio shack matter? at least with pro 668 its made by whistler its the brother to the ws1080 it can do everything a 1080 can do. if radio shack goes belly up dose that stop updates NO! the updates are done here at ( RadioReference.com ) ----thats all updates---- and will contune till this site shuts down! by then the WS1080 the PRO668 will seem like 5 channel crystal units compared to what the future will offer the scanner world.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
There probably wont be anymore FIRMWARE updates if RadioShack goes belly up...

Yes there will be DATABASE updates but not firmware...

what dose the future of radio shack matter? at least with pro 668 its made by whistler its the brother to the ws1080 it can do everything a 1080 can do. if radio shack goes belly up dose that stop updates NO! the updates are done here at ( RadioReference.com ) ----thats all updates---- and will contune till this site shuts down! by then the WS1080 the PRO668 will seem like 5 channel crystal units compared to what the future will offer the scanner world.

SCPD

QRT
There probably wont be anymore FIRMWARE updates if RadioShack goes belly up...

Yes there will be DATABASE updates but not firmware...

Exactly .. I do not use the RR database. So .. firmware updates are the only thing that truly matter and will determine the useful life of the scanner.

It all depends where you live and the current / future systems being monitored as to how important that is.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
If you have a Pro-668, PSR-800, or a WS1080, you DO use the RR database. You have to, unless you don't want to update the freq list at all. The whole is based on the RR database.

MONITORING247

mine says it checks for CPU FIRMWARE UPDATES and dsp updates library update and pc application updates if you go to the library it and everything else is from RadioRefrence this site right here NOTHING !!! IS DOWNLOADED FROM THE RS site so anyone buying the pro668 will be fine :O) HAPPY SCANNING.

SCPD

QRT
If you have a Pro-668, PSR-800, or a WS1080, you DO use the RR database. You have to, unless you don't want to update the freq list at all. The whole is based on the RR database.

I do not use it ... the library is not in my scanner. So .. thus nope sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.