PSR-800: SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks ~ I've seen a few posts about using one of these "new" class 10/ultra fast micro sd cards and I'm wondering what and how much it speeds things up.

Is it purely about the database/file transfer stuff or does it affect scanning performance as well?

Any thoughts/experience? Thanks.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
I try a few different class 10/ultra SD card, including SanDisk ones. It doesn't make a different being in the scanner to the class 4 one. Only different I notice is when you go larger size scanner get slower. Don't go over 16gb. Sweet spot would be 8gb. Class 10 will be faster when programming the database when using external card reader, instead of scanner, as in scanner transfer is slow regardless if you use class 4, or class 10 card. Just make sure you stick with name brand card like SanDisk.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks retro.

I do recall seeing something about some of these units not being able to use the higher gig cards properly/efficiently. But I also believe some people said it increased their scanning speed or something like that.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Thanks retro.

I do recall seeing something about some of these units not being able to use the higher gig cards properly/efficiently. But I also believe some people said it increased their scanning speed or something like that.

At least when he radio is booting and verifying data, the bigger the card size, the slower it will load.
I have seen no difference when the scanner is running using the 4, 8, 16 & 32 gig cards. I have not spent money on new class 10 cards, but expect the results to be similar.

Biggest improvement I can imagine using a higher gig card size is longer recording time. I have never run out of space between dumps with the 8 gig card that is normally in the radio. I keep a programmed 4 gig just in case the radio scrogs the 8 gig.

JK

RDGDigital

I personally don't think the speed of the SD card matters since even though we connect the scanner to the computer with a usb cable, the actual communications between the two is via a serial interface, and judging by the speed, it's probably only at 9600 baud (I can't verify this speed, it's just a guess based on how long it takes to copy things). This is why using a card reader is so much faster. With a card reader we can get up to the full USB 2.0 speed.

This is just my opinion based on observation since I have no facts to back it up with.

stingray327

oN a 436 I did the upgrade from 4GB to 32GB 48MB and there was a big difference in the booting up time which was alot faster especially after creating different favorite lists.
I may consider going to up the 32GB 90MB SandDisk chip.
32 GB is the maximum recommended per manual.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
oN a 436 I did the upgrade from 4GB to 32GB 48MB and there was a big difference in the booting up time which was alot faster especially after creating different favorite lists.
I may consider going to up the 32GB 90MB SandDisk chip.
32 GB is the maximum recommended per manual.

I may have to try a faster card, as have quite a few lists created and does take a while to load,

stingray327

I may have to try a faster card, as have quite a few lists created and does take a while to load,

That the main reason why I did first upgrade from 4 GB to 32 GB 48 MB. When those favorites lists started to get created and I saw my scanner taking alot longer to load.
I will have a slow load on the national database. Will probably get that other card 32 GB 90 MB

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input guys

It would appear the "fast" card doesn't accomplish a whole lot for scanning then. I guess there isn't much point in spending all the extra for those types of cards.

SCPD

QRT
It would appear the "fast" card doesn't accomplish a whole lot for scanning then. I guess there isn't much point in spending all the extra for those types of cards.

You are right .. the benefit, none. The reason .. the amount of data involved when the scanner is running is small.

If you want faster speeds when doing a data transfer, use a USB card reader for significant speed improvements over your scanner.

Unlike the Uniden 436HP for example where there is no difference in bootup time with larger GB cards .. the GRE/Whistler PSR800/WS1080 will take more time to boot with a larger card, typically 1 sec per GB.

Ed6698

I have a 16gb and 32gb class 10 uhs SD cards. The only time I see any benefit using them is doing the weekly update using a USB 3.0 card reader and USB 3.0 port. Lately I have been using a 2gb SD and I actually am happier using it, scanner boots up faster, can get to scanning way faster.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I'm just glad I found out shortly after getting my 800 that you should use the sd card direct for doing DB updates and scanner settings/options/programming etc. Using the usb cord was awful.

Thanks for the info fellas.

SCPD

QRT
unless you want faster loading.

Your GRE / Whistler scanner will not load faster with a faster card (the card is not the bottleneck) ... the only benefit you would see if you were to use a USB card reader and fast USB port when it comes to things like copying audio files. Then there would be an advantage .. otherwise, no.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
What is the file size per minute on the recorded audio? If someone knows the encoding rate per second, that's fine too.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that. I just figured out how to record and did a number crunch with the file. My results were the same as yours.

Wow, that's 250 hours with room to spare using an 8GB card. Perhaps I'm okay with the supplied 4GB card before I need to offload onto a computer. I might configure a 2GB card and see how fast my load time is vs 4GB. Less may be better here, depending on one's needs.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for that. I just figured out how to record and did a number crunch with the file. My results were the same as yours.

Wow, that's 250 hours with room to spare using an 8GB card. Perhaps I'm okay with the supplied 4GB card before I need to offload onto a computer. I might configure a 2GB card and see how fast my load time is vs 4GB. Less may be better here, depending on one's needs.

Load time in the PSR800 is 1 sec per GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.