Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Firmware 2.7 Update

Yes, I've been listening since I updated and haven't noticed any "boost" in volume of analog conventional frequencies. Maybe a little bit on a few that are notoriously low level like Harper College in Palatine IL, I CAN hear a bit of a difference as you can hardly hear their units speaking before this update. Now I can hear them, but the level is nowhere close to my old Pro96 with a real AGC. Hey, as long as they keep trying ;0) I still love this scanner and can't wait to see the WS1095 reviews.

Ed6698

I am not sure if it is just a coincidence or what. However after I did the firmware update nothing really seemed different, so I went ahead and did the prepare SD card for use with a quick format and checking both after format options. Now it seems like I am noticing a difference on the conventional frequencies, seems like they sound louder.

I submitted to have this thread deleted because I saw you had also posted the firmware update thread before I did, but I guess they are going to leave it, maybe they could merge the posts.

Last edited:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 Firmware update

I should have mentioned, I updated, didn't hear much difference in conventional channels. DID wipe the MicroSD card and prepared it for use in the menu, reloaded all updates and noticed a little improvement, still not much to crow about.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@MichaelBhere ... even at MAX the analog conventional channels are weak sounding. Digital is no problem, TDMA signals are TOO LOUD even. This Firmware update 2.7 was to boost the Analog frequencies and the Abst function so one analog channel can sound like the next similar to a AGC on older scanners. It isn't anything close to a normal Automatic Gain Control like that on my old Pro96 where ALL channels get a gain/boost and sound the same. This very low level on analog frequencies seems to be a trait of these new "IPOD" type scanners with the MicroSD cards. The Forum is full of such complaints from the Unidens to the new WS1080. Same things are happening with them. A saw a post last week lamenting the need for a REAL AGC in the Uniden forums. If you have ear buds or headphones at home you can hear them better but not a chance in a moving car. That's the only thing I'd change on this scanner is a real AGC.

DonS

This Firmware update 2.7 was to boost the Analog frequencies and the Abst function so one analog channel can sound like the next

2.7 fixed the "ABst" function on analog voice (both conventional channels and trunked system talkgroups). Prior to 2.7, the ABst flag (set in the PC app) would have no effect on analog unless you adjusted the volume (e.g. up then down) after squelch opened.

Exception: analog conventional channels where CTCSS or DCS was programmed would correctly get the ABst "boost" in pre-2.7 versions.

similar to a AGC on older scanners. It isn't anything close to a normal Automatic Gain Control like that on my old Pro96 where ALL channels get a gain/boost and sound the same.

If you're referring to the user-selectable AGC setting on the PRO-96: that applies only to digital. Analog is not affected by that setting; that AGC happens in the DSP, which has no control over analog volume levels.

minasha

I have done the firmware upgrade and I hear no difference at all.
What Whistler needs to address for a real update would be a fix
for the fact that P2 comms are much louder than P1 and analog.
They need to turn down the volume on P2 and all would be good.
Uniden doesn't have this huge difference between P1 and P2 volumes
but if they did uniden scanners can set the volume levels up or down per channel.
something Whistler/Gre scanners lack. However Uniden is way behind in the RF sensitivity area
so you just can't get everything in one scanner.

DonS

You'll only hear a difference if you have "ABst" turned on for analog channels / talkgroups. Version 2.7 only fixes a bug where the user's ABst setting was not always applied for analog.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
What Whistler needs to address for a real update would be a fix
for the fact that P2 comms are much louder than P1 and analog.
They need to turn down the volume on P2 and all would be good.
Uniden doesn't have this huge difference between P1 and P2 volumes
but if they did uniden scanners can set the volume levels up or down per channel.
something Whistler/Gre scanners lack. However Uniden is way behind in the RF sensitivity area
so you just can't get everything in one scanner.

The ability to individually adjust audio levels per channel may be a patented feature.

And P2 being louder seems to be a carryover from the PSR-800 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.