WS1080/PRO668 Trunking sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
One of the reasons I have preferred my Unidens over my 1080 is difficulty in setting up multiple sites on TRSs here in Los Angeles that often carry different traffic. Well, I couldn't pass up the great prices on a 668, so now I have one of those too. So this issue for me is even more important.
I have seen recommendations to just duplicate systems, name them by their respective site, and place in different scan lists. I have done this but still have problems.
On Orange County CCCS, I have 5 sites, countywide, N, S, NW, and SW set up as OC CCCS CW, OC CCCS North, etc, in 5 diffferent scan lists (30, 31, 32, 33, 34). I have the appropriate TGs enabled for each of those lists, some are enabled for all 5 lists. However, I still seem to be picking up only stuff on OC CCCS Countywide. These same is true for several other TRS here in this area that I have programmed.
Tonight, I realized that in each of my scan lists 30-34, the system listed is OC CCCS Countywide. Therein lies the problem, I presume. But how do I change the system in each scan list. It seems that EZ-Scan, or in this case tonight, I-Scan, won't allow me to do that. In another words, how does somebody assign a specific system (in this case system site) to each scan list. I want to put OC CCCS CW in 30, N in 31, S in 32, NW in 33, and SW in 34 as the "system."
Any help would be appreciated. I am anticipating having to do this for the 1095 when it comes out.
Thank you.

Steve

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
This might be a dumb question, but...

Is the Countywide cell enabled in your other systems by any chance? In other words, are you configuring a separate TSYS to match the area you want to monitor.

Attachments

• South.jpg
    South.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 537
  • North.jpg
    North.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 574

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Marcotor,
Just woke up and saw your post. I'm not sure that I did, I will study your configuration later today that you posted and see what happens. Thanks.

marksmith

Putting different systems under different playlists is done on the trunked channels tab. Select a system on top half then go down to the talkgroups and sites at the bottom and assign what list or lists you want.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

rwier

Hi Steve,

I'm sure Marcoto's "method" works or he wouldn't have shown his "screen grab". It appears that he differentiates his TRSs via the individual Site L/O function.

However, I actually delete all but the Site (occasionally Sites) that I want to monitor. In the case of the RWC (Maricopa County, AZ) TRS, which shows 16 Sites, I have created 8 single site TRSs to cover my listening wants/needs.

rwier

I forgot one. It contains all Sites and all TGs open/unlocked. It is ready for "Searching" (curiosity?) and "Duplicating" if desired.

rwier

Oops, more forgetting, lol. My single Sites have a second "dummy" Site, so that the Data Decode Threshold option stays "alive".

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Mark, Rob, Marcotor
Thank you for further insights. I will play with these settings later tonight. Rob, as I mentioned in another thread, I get out to Phoenix quite often to visit daughter/son-in-law/grandson who live near 22nd East and Camelback. I have my 436HP/536HP set up for RWC and TOPAZ, but have never been able to get the 1080 to work right out there. I wonder if I could PM you/vice versa and perhaps get a copy or some snippet of your EZ-Scan set up for RWC, not to use necessarily, but for detailed analysis, so I can study it.
The reason I am interested is because as much as I like the 436HP/536HP for their flexibility, the audio still sounds better to me on GRE/RS/Whistler scanners, and always has. I like fiddling with all the features on the x36HPs, but when it comes to just listening enjoyment, I prefer the GRE....s
If I can get this multisite/single site stuff right, I would enjoy it even more. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer some of these questions. I have spent a lot of time fine tuning my Uniden scanners, but not really invested the time in learning the in and outs of the GRE....s I know I have tended to rate the Unidens higher than GRE/RS/Whistler in general on this RRDB, but I do realize that a lot of it is my operator inexperience.
Although I have the PRO-106 and PRO-197, never spent much learning time with them. Now with the 1080, the really good bargain 668, and the upcoming 1095, I want to get a better handle on the other side (so to speak) of the scanner fence.
In fact, with such good bargains out there right now, I even have a PRO-651 and PRO-652 on order that should be arriving today. Once I get out the PAR FM filters again, it is hard to beat the sensitivity of these units. Still much to learn despite being an amateur radio operator for 53 years and scanning for at least 30 years.
Thanks again everybody.

Steve AA6IO (extraclass since 1984)

rwier

" ... I wonder if I could PM you/vice versa and perhaps get a copy or some snippet of your EZ-Scan set up for RWC, not to use necessarily, but for detailed analysis, so I can study it ...
" Steve AA6IO (extraclass since 1984)

I attempted to turn on my PM option.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Rob,
Just tried to PM you. Will wait and see if your set up is working. Be out until this evening. Will contact you in evening or next day or so. I left my regular e-mail and cell # in the PM.
Regards
Steve

troymail

Silent Key
Hopefully you've got it figured out now but just in case...

Let's say I have a 4 site system I want to import...

I label scanlists as follows:
1 - sysName All Sites
2 - sysName Site 1
3 - sysName Site 2
4 - sysName Site 3
5 - sysName Site 4

Then, I import all of the system, sites, and talkgroups and assign that to Scanlist/Playlist 1.

Then, I DUPLICATE the entire system, lock out all but site 1 and then assign all talkgroups to Scanlist/Playlist 2.

Then, I DUPLICATE that system again, lock out all but site 2 and then assign all talkgroups to Scanlist/Playlist 3.

Repeat for site 3 with assignments to Scanlist/Playlist 4.

Repeat for site 4 with assignments to Scanlist/Playlist 5.

This way you can enabled/disable whichever scanlists/sites you want or don't want to (try to) scan.

You can tweak which talkgroups are enabled in each site/scanlist but I tend to leave them all enabled unless I want to do more specific programming with even more scanlists (i.e. Fire list, police list, services lists, etc.). It just takes more time.

marksmith

I do the exact same thing except instead of locking out the unwanted sites in each system, I delete them all.

Then I add a dummy site to enable the adjustment options as was previously mentioned.

By using the duplicate system option it populates all the talkgroups, frequencies, etc. For each "site" system.

Note... before doing the first duplicate, I make any label changes to talkgroup names etc so that copies throughout.

Locking out instead of deleting ends up with basically the same situation, but I guess locking them out provides some future reversing options.

Mark

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Troy
Thank you for more detailed plan. Rob just sent me a lesson to do for the RWC in Phoenix. So I will get to my homework later tonight. Will report my results. Again, thanks everybody.
Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Mark
Thanks for further ideas. Good point about renaming TGs before duplicating. My OC CCCS system that I mentioned as an example uses SILVER 1 as the alpha tag for about 20 different PW TGs. I always rename them.
Steve

GrumpyGuard

I do the exact same thing except instead of locking out the unwanted sites in each system, I delete them all.

Then I add a dummy site to enable the adjustment options as was previously mentioned.

By using the duplicate system option it populates all the talkgroups, frequencies, etc. For each "site" system.

Note... before doing the first duplicate, I make any label changes to talkgroup names etc so that copies throughout.

Locking out instead of deleting ends up with basically the same situation, but I guess locking them out provides some future reversing options.

Mark

Mark you have been a great help with other issues, now I have one more question:
What do you mean when you say you make a dummy site.
I have tried the duplication method for my multi-site configuration but I am not able to hear anything for Washington County Or. or Portland Or.

If you wish to PM me again that will be fine.

marksmith

Do you hear anything when you have the full system with all sites included? If not, you won't hear with sites broken out.

The dummy site addition is just something that is a quirk with this radio. Unless you are receiving something it doesn't matter. Adding a dummy site is just adding an empty site to go along with your single site if you delete all but one. This allows you to enable the p25 threshold and other adjustments not available on a one site system.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.