Encrypton Mute

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Will the PSR-500 mute the audio when a channel or talk-group is encryption.

RayAir

Pro 668 gives you a couple of options, noise or silent (mute) for encryption.

Psr 800 does too.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Encryption mute

Is there any reason you can't lock out that talk-group or channel? With the WS1080, PSR-800 and Pro-668 you can simply NOT download encrypted talk-groups *there's a process you check at download from the Database in the Import section that filters out any Encrypted channels. If you do get some like with many Federal channels? the WS1080 has "Tone, silent, noise" Tone is a pleasant sounding doot, dooot, dooot sound like that of a busy phone. Even the old Pro96 you can lock out bad talk-groups in a closed system in a bank. Trouble was there is a limit on numbers of talk-groups you could have per bank. That's why the new system of Object Oriented scanning is better, no limits.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
There are talk-groups and frequencies which are not completely encrypted all the time.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Is there any reason you can't lock out that talk-group or channel?
Possibility #1: Sometimes a TG or channel is not completely encrypted -- just some traffic on the frequency is encrypted, but not all traffic; and thus, some people may want to just mute the encrypted traffic, but not necessarily the entire TG or channel.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Encryption mute

Yes, I know what you mean. I have several Federal frequencies in the Chicago area not listed as Encrypted and all the sudden the "E" shows up and the tone* noise comes on until they're done. Glad the WS1080 has those mute options instead of listening to donald duck noise.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
As was stated above, the Uniden's at least from the old T series and newer do mute encryption.

The PSR500 & 600 or RadioShack or Whistler equivalents do not.
The GRE PSR800 does have the feature to insert a tone or silence when an encrypted communication is taking place. The same goes for the Whistler equivalent of the 800.
The problem with the PSR800 (and its clones) is that when an encrypted communication is taking place, the entire radio is locked to that encrypted channel and will NOT continue scanning past it like it should. If it can detect it, it should have an option to ignore and continue scanning or searching for in the clear talk like the Uniden's do. The 800 can obviously detect it otherwise they would not offer a tone or silence to replace it. Why not the option to ignore also so it will keep scanning.

I rarely use my GRE radios for the above reasons as we have a LOT of talkgroups that carry both encrypted and in the clear talk on the same TG.
The GREs work great on the systems that don't use encryption.
The annoying silence or tone filled delay that they introduced with the PSR800 is a joke in my eyes. I had a time where two (or more) users were talking encrypted and my 800 just stuck on that talkgroup for more than a half hour when it should have been scanning for in the clear comms while the encrypted users were yacking away.
It took me that long to realize I'd not heard anything on an otherwise busy system.

For Uniden, I have seen the new x36HP models get hung up on an encrypted transmission longer than normal but they will usually continue scanning after a second or less. Most times it is usually instantly like the 3/996T and XT's do. In fact the XT series generally do not even stop long enough for the user to see that they detected encryption.
I do not know if the newer P2 series like the 996P2 follow in the footsteps of the x36HP's or work more like the older XT series do.
I have also seen my Home Patrol 1 stop for up to a second before it detects that a comm is encrypted and moves on. Still way better than how GRE does it.

Why GRE chose to allow silence or a tone on the PSR800 but not allow a complete ignore is beyond me. The fact that it ties up the radio with silence when an encrypted comm is taking place is a deal breaker for me when it should be scanning for other in the clear comms.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
You made a good quick breakdown of each units enc features... I agree with your points. The XT Unidens will barely stop long enough to even see an ENC talkgroup is taking place.

Hopefully Whistler maybe able to come up with something... where instead of a tone.. tell the radio to move on scanning if enc is detected.

As was stated above, the Uniden's at least from the old T series and newer do mute encryption.

The PSR500 & 600 or RadioShack or Whistler equivalents do not.
The GRE PSR800 does have the feature to insert a tone or silence when an encrypted communication is taking place. The same goes for the Whistler equivalent of the 800.

the XT series generally do not even stop long enough for the user to see that they detected encryption.

I do not know if the newer P2 series like the 996P2 follow in the footsteps of the x36HP's or work more like the older XT series do.
I have also seen my Home Patrol 1 stop for up to a second before it detects that a comm is encrypted and moves on. Still way better than how GRE does it.

Why GRE chose to allow silence or a tone on the PSR800 but not allow a complete ignore is beyond me. The fact that it ties up the radio with silence when an encrypted comm is taking place is a deal breaker for me when it should be scanning for other in the clear comms.

t7ri3g

Premium Subscriber
One advantage of the GRE system that I find helpful is that the radio will continue to display the unit IDs for encrypted traffic. Assuming you have the unit ID tagged, you will at least know who is talking even if you can't hear what they're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.