WS1095: Shipping this Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
So the radio's have arrived to the USA and are starting to ship this week for sure.

On Whistler's website today you can navigate and go and download the WS-1095 software.

The big question will be can you use the software to program both the WS-1095 and the WS-1080?

Looks like there is two separate pieces of software for both.

mrkelso

I'll be waiting for the reports to trickle in before taking the plunge.

Fireboat03

Banned
Looks like there is also a CPU updater from F1.1 to F2.8 right out of the box. Looks like when you install the new software you will be-able to update the radio to the latest and greatest.

At least Whistler is on top updates right out of the box.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I just did a File|Save To Archive from the WS-1080 EZScan version. I then did a File|Restore from Archive in the WS-1095 EZScan version, and it seemed to bring over the systems ok.

There does some to be some flakiness in the software, where it deletes all of your talkgroups in a trunked system if you have them all selected, and click set, then choose no Scanlists, and navigate away to another page. Also, there's now way to unselected all talkgroups, if you done so, except by navigating to another page. I recommend Saving to different Archives often, while you are building your files. It definitely takes a lot more forethought and planning than other scanners that I am use to.

So the radio's have arrived to the USA and are starting to ship this week for sure.

On Whistler's website today you can navigate and go and download the WS-1095 software.

The big question will be can you use the software to program both the WS-1095 and the WS-1080?

Last edited:

Fireboat03

Banned
I was able to take my achieve folder from my file structure from my GRE PSR 800 and import it into my WS-1080 EZ Scan software but the EZ Scan software does not reconize the device driver on my Win 8.1 computer.

I was able to install the WS-1095 software onto my computer and program my WS-1080 radio with no problems. This software fixed the drivers for the USB programming cable. No issues.

tlangshaw

Premium Subscriber
$699.95, just speechless. I have a bunch of scanners that get phase 1 P25 and two that get phase 2. Phase 2 isn't in the KC area yet, not sure if it ever will be. I do like how my 1080 and 668 function though and might find a 1095 used at some point and buy it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

tlangshaw

Premium Subscriber
$499 might have me interested, way better than buying from Whistler. I guess Whistler wants to make them and not sell them on their site.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Nice catch Fireboat! Keep you eyes on the price folks. I've seen it sub $500 now. :D

KB7MIB

For those with the PSR-800 and it's Radio Shack/Whistler clones, how easy would it be to change scanlists on the fly with the 1095, while mobile, for example, without a full keypad?

John
Peoria, AZ

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Whistler WS-1095 Shipping this Week

Not easy, IMHO. You still have to navigate the menu system through the wonderful arrow switch. A quick select programmable button on the head/faceplate would have been a better.

KB7MIB

I wonder if they'll ever offer a seperate remote head with a full keypad for those who prefer one, or design a V.2 version with a full keypad remote head?

John
Peoria, AZ

RDGDigital

For those with the PSR-800 and it's Radio Shack/Whistler clones, how easy would it be to change scanlists on the fly with the 1095, while mobile, for example, without a full keypad?

John
Peoria, AZ

I have both the WS1080 and PSR-800 and what I do is use Scan Sets. I've created a Scan Set for each of the different Counties I'll typically drive through. In each County's Scan Set I've included all the Scan Lists I monitor for that County. Now all I have to do when driving around the state is just toggle on/off the different Scan Sets.

Typically, it goes like this...

Press the Menu key twice (need to be sure I'm on the right menu).
Press the Down key seven times for the WS1080 or six time for the PSR-800 (the menus are different).
Press the Right key.

Now the scanner displays a list of all my Scan Sets. Now...

Press the Down key 1,2,3... times to get to the County I want to toggle.
Press the Sel key to toggle on/off this Scan Set.

I do the above two steps twice, once to toggle off the current Scan Set and again to toggle on the new Scan Set. Once I've toggle all the Scan Sets I need...

Press Left to go back to the Main Menu. By default the scanner will be at the Scan option.
Press Sel to continue scanning.

Yes, it seems like a lot of steps, and it is. But it's a lot less then scrolling through all the different Scan Lists (I have about 120 Scan Lists programmed). And I've also learned to do it without looking at the scanner (e.g., not taking my eyes off the road).

SOFA_KING

I have both the WS1080 and PSR-800 and what I do is use Scan Sets. I've created a Scan Set for each of the different Counties I'll typically drive through. In each County's Scan Set I've included all the Scan Lists I monitor for that County. Now all I have to do when driving around the state is just toggle on/off the different Scan Sets.

Typically, it goes like this...

Press the Menu key twice (need to be sure I'm on the right menu).
Press the Down key seven times for the WS1080 or six time for the PSR-800 (the menus are different).
Press the Right key.

Now the scanner displays a list of all my Scan Sets. Now...

Press the Down key 1,2,3... times to get to the County I want to toggle.
Press the Sel key to toggle on/off this Scan Set.

I do the above two steps twice, once to toggle off the current Scan Set and again to toggle on the new Scan Set. Once I've toggle all the Scan Sets I need...

Press Left to go back to the Main Menu. By default the scanner will be at the Scan option.
Press Sel to continue scanning.

Yes, it seems like a lot of steps, and it is. But it's a lot less then scrolling through all the different Scan Lists (I have about 120 Scan Lists programmed). And I've also learned to do it without looking at the scanner (e.g., not taking my eyes off the road).

...Meantime your car has veered off the road, clipped the guardrail and gone over the embankment down into a ditch never to be seen again.

It's almost worse than futzing with a d@mn cell phone!

troymail

Silent Key
Yup - the keypad doesn't make it a whole lot better given you have to (a) remember what "quick key" or "keys" you need to press then (b) look over and press that sequence of keys...

Not a whole lot of difference except for that period of heavy brain activity remembering which things are on which quick key.

KB7MIB

With my PSR-500, all I need to remember is which scanlist has what in it. There's 20 main scanlists, plus the favorite list and the Skywarn list. You only have to press 1 button for scanlists 1-10 and the favorite, and 2 for scanlists 11-20 and Skywarn.
It is easy to do without looking away from the road.
I was not aware that the newer radios had so many more scanlists.

John
Peoria, AZ

tlangshaw

Premium Subscriber
I think they operate the same, not sure what's changed inside. On the in car subject changing scanlists while driving. I use stoplights in town to change lists and sometimes I have to use two lights to get what I'm looking for. When on the highway I always pull off on a exit, or a rest area that I usually need to use anyway. I'm older and know my limits. I really like how my 668 and 1080 operate and they hold so much without using V-scanners, but I do use V-scanners for large areas I go to. My pro 106 scanners are easier to change on the fly for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.