PSR-800: Best way to get my WS1080 channels imported into my PSR800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOFA_KING

OK...my turn to ask for a little help. A friend of mine had a corrupted PSR800 that he no longer used or needed. I purchased it and managed to resurrect it using my WS1080 data. I knew this was not the right data for the GRE, but it did come back to life. Appeared to scan, but didn't receive anything. I downloaded the latest GRE branded EZscan software, got a new microSD card, formatted and prepared it, and fired up the scanner with the new (16 GB) card. Looked good, but was an empty radio (opted not to load the RR library, as I don't need it for this scanner). I followed the instructions to update the CPU (was at 1.0) and then DSP (said NONE prior to the update). All went OK and powered up fine. Fixed!

Now, I have a ton of conventional channels I scan through (G bands), and I didn't want to start from scratch, so I took the CDAT folder in the 800 and changed the name to XCDAT just so the scanner didn't see it (now have it as a backup that could be restored by changing the name back). Then I copied the CDAT folder from my 1080 and pasted it to my 800 microSD card. When I powered it up, all was loaded and it scans my channels fine, but I do notice the S meter readings are very high on just about everything it hears. I think there is some hardware differences that might be the cause of this, and some files for the 800 might need to be different in that CDAT folder.

So, my question is: Is there is a better way to do this? Or can it be fixed by using some of the original 800 INF type files?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Swipesy

This is very quick off the top of my head. If you have the configuration loaded into the PSR-800 EZScan version of the software then click on "Restore Factory Defaults" on the General Tab. That should set everything back to GRE PSR-800 standard. Then go and change each setting in EZScan to your preferences and then copy to the SDCard.

SOFA_KING

This is very quick off the top of my head. If you have the configuration loaded into the PSR-800 EZScan version of the software then click on "Restore Factory Defaults" on the General Tab. That should set everything back to GRE PSR-800 standard. Then go and change each setting in EZScan to your preferences and then copy to the SDCard.

Ah, I think I understand that. Let the PSR800 EZscan software fix it. Makes sense.

I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

Phil

SCPD

QRT
If youre having problems with the PSR-800,reload the DSP firmware and the CPU firmware from the PSR800 software.Load the database from the PSR800 ezscan and see if it has any receive.It should at least have weather.Put your zip code in and try it.See if it will scan.When using the zipcode mode scanlists will appear empty,this is normal,they go into categories (the frequencies do) such as Law Tac.To get things in scanlists you have to do that manually from the radio by using the browse database or the Ezscan software.

I had the PSR-800 and the Whistler and used both radios with the Whistler software or you can do vice versa,but not with firmware,that has to be its own software for each radio.Note The Radio Shack PSR668 is a whistler 1080.

SOFA_KING

Swipesy,

That did the trick. S meter readings are now normal. Thank you!

k2ool,

Yes, these are slightly different birds. I notice there is no selection option on the 800 for temporary/permanent lockout. Most other options were there. This is my home ID collector. I'm just recording Unit ID's on all G band frequencies, so that minor detail is not a big deal.

The one thing I just confirmed is that my WS1080 is, as suspected, defective. I have to send it in for repair. I have been experiencing selectivity issues with it. And even when the signal is not that strong, I still see it landing on a frequency 12.5 kHz off the center frequency. (example: Often lands on 172.8875 when the actual frequency in use is 172.9000.) I scan all G band channels sequentially, so even if I lock out 172.9000, it will often land on 172.9125. This is quite confusing when you are searching for new frequencies. Sometimes you can't tell which one is real. If you get many hits, usually the one with the most hits is the actual frequency of interest. Another defect on my WS1080 is bad P25 decode. It takes a fair mount of signal to get the UID number, and the P25 audio sometimes quacks out even on two bars of signal. My UID log shows quite a few NA entries. The PSR800 doesn't have these issues. Logs only show good UID numbers. So it is defective. Bummer! :-(

Anyway, at least the PSR800 is working well. Thanks for the input, guys.

Phil

SCPD

QRT
I just loaded my archive from my PSR800 into my Whistler 1095 software .. so it will be interesting to see if it works. It will be a week before I get my 1095.

But the importation of the data was seamless.

Swipesy

Phil,

Glad I was able to help you. I learned that procedure the hard way, lol. One day my 800 went silent. Could not get it to work. In desperation I tried the reset and all was well.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.