WS1080 squelch tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
In anticipation of a 1095 that should arrive in the next day or two from the Ham Station, I have pulled out my 1080 for the last few days and been using it more. Two systems I monitor quite a bit are Long Beach Police/Fire, which uses DCS, and the CHP, some channels which use CTCSS.
I get a very loud squelch tales on most of the Long Beach and a few of the CHP stations that is really annoying. When I listen to the same channels on my 325P2, 996P2, 436/536HP, or even the newer PRO-651/652, I get none of these squelch tails. Moreover, even on the 1080, I don't have that much problem on some other systems/channels with CTCSS.
I also experience the same squelch tails on the PRO-668, so this seems to be a problem I have with the PSR-800 type scanners. Is there some setting I a missing to fix this squelch tail problem. Thanks for any responses.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If the repeaters are set to transmit the tone on the squelch tale the no I do not think you can stop that with the scanner. This also sounds like the tone deviation is set to high or the system has a filter capacitor in the repeater is starting to fail.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Well I'm not sure why not happening with other scanners, but perhaps it is a repeater issue. Anyway, if no setting available (I did not think so), then so be it. Thank you Buddrousa and Edmscan for your responses.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what frequencies you are listening to but in the uhf high range I had squelch tails and I changed from narrow fm to normal fm and it went away.

Ed6698

I get squelch tails on a couple frequencies in my area, what I did was just eliminated the CTCSS code by putting the squelch mode to none. It does it also on the same frequencies with my PSR 500, so I did the same thing with that radio.

SCPD

QRT
While there is no distinct setting for squelch tails .. if there are any programming issues, that could very well cause issues.

I would definitely check your programming to make sure it is right.

I know of my PSR800 and 1095 I have never had any problems. Then .. 99% of my listening is on an Edacs system .. so very robust and never any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.