How Do I Get My PSR-500 To Monitor One Of My Digital Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm1977

I am new to digital scanning, and was wondering how I can listen to a single frequency of the numerous ones I have programmed. For instance, if I have multiple police frequencies programmed (P25-auto) and there is a traffic stop that I receive which sounds like it may be interesting, how do I get my scanner to just remain on that frequency instead of scanning to others between gaps in conversation between officer and dispatch?

When I listened to analog scanners back in the day, all that I would have to do is turn the squeltch knob down and it would pause on that frequency until I wanted it to scan other frequncies. But when I turn the squeltch all the way down on my digital scanner, it continues to scan through all of my programmed frequencies once there is a silent gap between conversation.

I also tried the PSE (pause) button and the MAN (manual) button but the scanner always scans to other frequencies after a silence in the current frequency that I am trying to monitor solely. So if anyone can help me figure out how to monitor just one conversation for long periods of time without my scanner scanning other frequencies, I would greatly appreciate it. I am totally new to digital scanners and havent seen anything in my manual yet on how to do this. Thanks a lot!

peter_x

Premium Subscriber
The pause button should work. I don't have my PSR-500 any more, but there was some indication on the display that you had paused it. Do you see anything?

The only other thing that comes to mind is that you haven't programmed a trunking system properly and another conversation is switching to that frequency.

Last edited:

RDGDigital

If you press the "Man" button while the scanner is receiving traffic on that channel then the scanner will remain on that channel until you press the "Scan" button.

grumpy_hermit

If you are monitoring a wildcard, the pause and manual buttons won't keep it from picking up traffic from various sources. Are you monitoring talkgroups or frequencies?

D

DaveNF2G

If you want to go to a particular frequency after the scanner has left it, you can push MAN-object#-MAN for direct access. The scanner should not resume scanning until you push SCAN.

(I say "should not" because it seems from the OP's comments that it does.)

jm1977

The pause button should work. I don't have my PSR-500 any more, but there was some indication on the display that you had paused it. Do you see anything?

The only other thing that comes to mind is that you haven't programmed a trunking system properly and another conversation is switching to that frequency.

Thanks for your reply peter_x. When I press pause, there is a "paused" indication on my display, but the scanner does show different frequencies on the screen when something comes in on my scanner. But the system ID number (not sure what that really is) does stay the same the entire time it is paused.

When I programmed my scanner, the only steps that I did was select P25-auto (my area is MARCS IP P25 whatever that means), and then I typed in each frequency pressing ENT (enter) after each frequency and then saving it all (14 frequencies in total) and that was it. Is there more steps needed to program my scanner correctly? I am trying to figure out digital scanning as best as I could. It is much more difficult than analog scanning. Thanks a lot.

jm1977

If you press the "Man" button while the scanner is receiving traffic on that channel then the scanner will remain on that channel until you press the "Scan" button.

Thank you for your reply RDGDigital. When I press the MAN button, my scanner keeps going through the frequencies and also system ID numbers changes. When I press PSE (pause) the frequencies change, but the system ID number always remains the same. I am still trying to figure out what everything means (like system ID, wildcards etc) when it comes to digital scanners. There is much more to learn than I thought. Thanks.

jm1977

If you are monitoring a wildcard, the pause and manual buttons won't keep it from picking up traffic from various sources. Are you monitoring talkgroups or frequencies?

Thank you for your reply "grumpy_hermit". When I programmed my scanner, I left the wildcard option alone. And then it scans, the ID reads "wildcard" on my display. Do I have to program something under the wildcard option? Thanks a lot.

jm1977

If you want to go to a particular frequency after the scanner has left it, you can push MAN-object#-MAN for direct access. The scanner should not resume scanning until you push SCAN.

(I say "should not" because it seems from the OP's comments that it does.)

Thanks for your reply DaveNF2G. When I press manual on my scanner, it seems to just keep scanning as if I never pressed it at all. Perhaps I programmed something incorrectly which I have to keep researching to determine. Thanks.

jm1977

Another thing that I wanted to add here is that it seems that the scanning on my scanner is way too aggressive!! When I hear a conversation come in over my scanner, it constantly scans to another frequency even in mid-sentenance of a clear conversation! Its as if the scanning operation on my scanner wants to go into scanning mode way too early and before the communication I hear has stopped. Does anyone know what the solution to that issue would be? I adjust the squeltch, but do not think that it matters regardless of where I have the squeltch knob adjusted to. Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
jm1977 .... did you program your scanner by hand ?

It is almost sounding like you did.

If that is the case, I can almost guarantee that it is incorrectly programmed. (by reading what you have posted here).

Go out and get some software .. Win500 or PSREdit. (you can try them out before you buy)

Program the scanner that way .. it would help to get a RR premium membership. I never usually recommend this .. but sometimes people really do need this to get their scanners programmed correctly, especially at first when they are just learning how they work.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
From what you've said so far, I think you don't fully understand what trunking is. Reading Trunking Basics might help you understand what is happening a little better.

Trunked radio systems uses many frequencies, and conversations can switch frequencies at anytime. The term you are looking for is "talkgroup" which is where a conversation takes place. If it changes frequencies, it is likely following a conversation as intended because the conversation has switched to a new frequency. Channels on a radio are no longer tied to a single frequency, which is why a trunking scanner is necessary to follow conversations.

SCPD

QRT
From what you've said so far, I think you don't fully understand what trunking is. Reading Trunking Basics might help you understand what is happening a little better.

Trunked radio systems uses many frequencies, and conversations can switch frequencies at anytime. The term you are looking for is "talkgroup" which is where a conversation takes place. If it changes frequencies, it is likely following a conversation as intended because the conversation has switched to a new frequency. Channels on a radio are no longer tied to a single frequency, which is why a trunking scanner is necessary to follow conversations.

Smiles .. from what I saw, and cause the OP came from an analog scanner, I am almost certain that the frequencies were programmed in manually by hand, and it is being monitored that way.

No wonder .. nothing works.

Looks like he is in Ohio .. and needs to get some help with the programming, it is not a matter of stopping the scanner, it is looking like it is well .. very mis-programmed.

But it is part of the learning process.

I could make the OP a file for him to try out .. but I have no idea where he is.

jm1977

jm1977 .... did you program your scanner by hand ?

It is almost sounding like you did.

If that is the case, I can almost guarantee that it is incorrectly programmed. (by reading what you have posted here).

Go out and get some software .. Win500 or PSREdit. (you can try them out before you buy)

Program the scanner that way .. it would help to get a RR premium membership. I never usually recommend this .. but sometimes people really do need this to get their scanners programmed correctly, especially at first when they are just learning how they work.

Thank you for your reply edmscan. I did program the scanner by hand, and your assumption is probably 100% correct that it may not be programmed correctly. I just went to a website (PSREdit - Configuration Editors for the new GRE line of scanners) and found the the software you recommend. I chose to the PSREdit500 1.93 Release 8 version. Is that the correct one?

Also, I remember reading somewhere that updating the scanner with one (or all, not sure) of the available software secretly deleted a range of frequencies from the PSR-500 scanners. Have you heard of this? Either way, I guess that I am forced to consider this software as I am not sure I have the wisdom or knowledge to program it all by hand and will need to use this software. Have you heard anything about this software secretly deleting ranges of frequencies on the PSR-500? Thanks.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for your reply edmscan. I did program the scanner by hand, and your assumption is probably 100% correct that it may not be programmed correctly. I just went to a website (PSREdit - Configuration Editors for the new GRE line of scanners) and found the the software you recommend. I chose to the PSREdit500 1.93 Release 8 version. Is that the correct one?

Also, I remember reading somewhere that updating the scanner with one (or all, not sure) of the available software secretly deleted a range of frequencies from the PSR-500 scanners. Have you heard of this? Either way, I guess that I am forced to consider this software as I am not sure I have the wisedom or knowledge to program it all by hand and will need to use this program. Have you heard anything about this software secretly deleting ranges of frequencies on the PSR-500? Thanks.

Yes .. that is the right software. If you want .. send me a PM with where you are located exactly and I will make you a file for your scanner to try out.

Now that you have the software .. you just need your programming cable, and you will be good.

Oh .. re the deleting of a range of frequencies, the software will program exactly what is put into it .. and it will program the scanner as such. This whole deleting of frequencies is only potentially when the user does not know how to use the software. I can get your scanner programmed for you to get you started. I have used that scanner software for many years and can give you some recommendations of what you want to do.

Last edited:

jm1977

Smiles .. from what I saw, and cause the OP came from an analog scanner, I am almost certain that the frequencies were programmed in manually by hand, and it is being monitored that way.

No wonder .. nothing works.

Looks like he is in Ohio .. and needs to get some help with the programming, it is not a matter of stopping the scanner, it is looking like it is well .. very mis-programmed.

But it is part of the learning process.

I could make the OP a file for him to try out .. but I have no idea where he is.

Yep, I am a long time analog scanner guy and am clueless about digital scanners but am really trying my hardest to read up about it all now. I have given up on digital scanners several times in the past, but am forcing myself to get it all through my thick skull!

If you are interested in making up a file for me, I am in Fairfield Ohio (Butler County) and would be most apprecitive to receive a file to help me program my digital scanner correctly. Thank you very much!

SCPD

QRT
Yep, I am a long time analog scanner guy and am clueless about digital scanners but am really trying my hardest to read up about it all now. I have given up on digital scanners several times in the past, but am forcing myself to get it all through my thick skull!

If you are interested in making up a file for me, I am in Fairfield Ohio (Butler County) and would be most apprecitive to receive a file to help me program my digital scanner correctly. Thank you very much!

File sent ..

grumpy_hermit

Thank you for your reply "grumpy_hermit". When I programmed my scanner, I left the wildcard option alone. And then it scans, the ID reads "wildcard" on my display. Do I have to program something under the wildcard option? Thanks a lot.

A wildcard searches the programmed system for activity. It will pick up everything and can be quite annoying unless one is looking for new talkgroups to monitor. You need to lock out the wildcard and enter individual talkgroups for the areas/entities that you wish to monitor. I see that you are getting help so I won't elaborate.

Status
Not open for further replies.