PSR-800: Get no audio after updating library

Status
Not open for further replies.

DP1947

Premium Subscriber
I borrowed a friends PSR800 to see if it would work where I live. The scanner had apparently not been updated since new and did not have the system my county uses in the library. I used it for a day or two and I could receive some audio on the systems he had programmed. I installed the EZScan software and copied the data from the scanner. Then upgraded the library from RR.
When I write the new library to the scanner and did an update from library, it stopped receiving on the existing systems. I created a scanlist from the new library for a system closer to home and it while stop on a TG, show 4-5 bars signal, the system, TGID etc, I get a click and no audio.
Any help is certainly appreciated. (I haven't told him yet!)

Thanks

Swipesy

In EZScan click on the General Settings Tab click on Restore Factory Defaults. Then copy configuration to scanner SD Card and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, then reset your settings to what you want and recopy the configuration to the scanner. I had that issue once and it solved the problem.

DP1947

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply Swipesy. I tried what you said and it didn't help.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the reply Swipesy. I tried what you said and it didn't help.

I think you should post exactly what system you are trying to monitor.

A link to that system on RR will help in solving this issue. Right now, we have nothing.

DP1947

Premium Subscriber
I think you should post exactly what system you are trying to monitor.

A link to that system on RR will help in solving this issue. Right now, we have nothing.

The system link:
Indianapolis Department Of Public Safety Trunking System, Indianapolis, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies

The scanner was monitoring this system fine until I updated the library. No other changes were made. It does not receive anything on that system.

Since then however I've added a scan list for this system:
Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (Motorola) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

This one is where I get the scanner stopping on a talk group, shows all information, TGID, System, even VC, but no audio. (also no DG/Dg). I've been trying to familiarize myself with this scanner (I have an old Pro96) and the P25 stuff.

I've not upgraded the CPU or DSP software. Since it's not my radio, I'm hesitant to do that. I just can't figure out why a library (db) update would cause a system to no longer work.

Thanks for any help, suggestions.

Swipesy

Dan,

I have a PSR 800. I looked at the two systems and there is nothing particularly strange about them. Here are a couple items to check in your settings.

1. For the P-25 System make sure you have loaded the CC and Alt channel frequencies; Also make sure under the Site Details - Site Options that Trunking Table Types is set to "Auto Fill" and Digital AGC is "Off". Apply to all sites.

2. The ASTE-T is a mixed Digital, Analog system. Make sure the system is set to Motorola; under Site Details - Site Options that the Trunking Tables Types is set to Type - "Custom", Presets "Type II", AGC is "Off". Also make sure you have CC and Alt freq loaded.

Hope this works,

John

DP1947

Premium Subscriber
Dan,

I have a PSR 800. I looked at the two systems and there is nothing particularly strange about them. Here are a couple items to check in your settings.

1. For the P-25 System make sure you have loaded the CC and Alt channel frequencies; Also make sure under the Site Details - Site Options that Trunking Table Types is set to "Auto Fill" and Digital AGC is "Off". Apply to all sites.

2. The ASTE-T is a mixed Digital, Analog system. Make sure the system is set to Motorola; under Site Details - Site Options that the Trunking Tables Types is set to Type - "Custom", Presets "Type II", AGC is "Off". Also make sure you have CC and Alt freq loaded.

Hope this works,

John

The changes you suggested had no effect. I did however link to the wrong SAFE-T system: the correct one is also P-25.
Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P-25) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I'm still stumped. It may be that the CPU/DSP needs updated, but that doesn't explain why it was working on the Indianapolis system.

Swipesy

My last thought would be to reformat the SDCard. Copy the library and configuration to the card and see what happens. I suppose you could also enter a Control frequency as a conventional frequency and see if the scanner stops on the frequency. Beyond this I don't know what to tell you. The 800 is pretty bullet proof when downloading from the library.

DP1947

Premium Subscriber
My last thought would be to reformat the SDCard. Copy the library and configuration to the card and see what happens. I suppose you could also enter a Control frequency as a conventional frequency and see if the scanner stops on the frequency. Beyond this I don't know what to tell you. The 800 is pretty bullet proof when downloading from the library.

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate your time. I had pulled a 2GB µSD card from an old phone and reformatted it, loaded the library, etc. My next step is to bite the bullet and do up CPU and DSP updates. Just hope I don't brick the thing.

SCPD

QRT
I don't brick the thing.

You can't brick it .. as long as you are trying to put the correct firmware into it. If something does happen .. just do it over.

For those that try to put the wrong firmware into it .. expecting great things, bad bad them. Back to regular programming .. you should not be scared to do it.

Last edited:

DP1947

Premium Subscriber
CPU/DSP updates did the trick. Both P-25 systems are working!

For future hits on this thread, my THEORY is that the new software and the original CPU 1.0 firmware are not completely compatible. I'm thinking (but cannot prove) that the options in the newer software had no place to go in the old firmware and may have created an invalid situation. Just a guess. Another option I changed after the upgrade was the DSPLevelAdapt. Saw a thread suggestion to lower it from 64 to 16 so I did. Maybe that was it all along.

Thanks for the help and suggestions! I don't have to buy Rick a new scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.