PSR-800: Time for a new scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirangerman

I am having a serious issue with my PSR-800, and I am thinking there is definitely something wrong with the scanner itself, and thought about seeing "IF" it could be fixed, or just writing this one off, and buying a new one.

My issue;
Since about the last week of last month - my PSR-800 has been NOT receiving squat!
I have tried to reinstall everything possible, multiple times even. And still end up with a big goose egg. When I do get my SD card reformatted, reprogrammed, etc - and plug it into the scanner, all I get is either a 3 - 00 code, or a Fatal Error message.
I did buy and use 2 other micro sd cards, but with same results.he original factory sd card, has been lost to time, and haven't a clue where it could be, Especially since this scanner is about 4 yrs old, and we moved about 1 1/2 yrs ago. So it could be anywhere!

So what say you?

P.S. I am leaning on buying a new one. Probably Radio Shack Pro-668

kb8rvp

PSR-800: Time for a new scanner?

I have helped two friends with PSR-800 scanners with repairing the BNC antenna connector that came un soldered from the board inside. Is your BNC connector loose if you move it or the antenna? Another big one is the squelch not being set in the "sweet spot". It should be in the middle of the white graph line above the knob you will see an open space in the graph and that is the sweet spot.

Mike

dgmaley

It sounds like you now have two problems.

1. New cards don't always works in the scanner because the scanner needs them formatted a certain way. Have the windows software re format and load the data on the new card.

2. The best way to test this scanner is first to open the squelch on a conventional frequency and verify noise is present. Then, bring up your local National Weather Service frequency and verify you get its audio.

Good Luck.

Dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.