PSR500/PSR600: Canadian vs US Bandplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Ok .. well I pulled my PSR500 out of the mothballs and well .. I have this problem.

I am in Canada .. but cannot get the scanner to use the Canadian Band Plan.

I have the Canadian Band Plan enabled in the PSREdit software .. and checked on the scanner itself (it shows Canadian bandplan enabled) but .. it still wants to use the US bandplan. (which doesn't work well here).

So .. I am pretty sure I have a US model .. but can I use the Canadian Band plan anyways ?

This impacts the VHF / UHF range .. including the AirBand and VHF Hi for sure.

My firmware is like this ..

uP Appl U2.3
DSP App U 1.4
DSP Voc F 1.0

uP Boot ver F 1.1
up Appl ver U 2.3

I do not remember ... as I do not often use this scanner.

Thanks in advance.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Try changing the setting manually. Go into the Expert Settings (PGM, FUNC, F3-GLOB). The third from the last option in that menu should be the Bandplan.

Ed6698

Been so long since I have done any digging in the 500 I forgot how to get where it shows Expert Settings and Bandplan. Thanks for the info, helped me out also.

VE6RHS

At 162.4000 on my PSR-500 steps in 12.5kHz steps - doesn't matter if USA or Canada is set in the band plan.

My PSR-500 s/n = 007008
uP Boot = F1.4
uP Appl = U2.3

SCPD

QRT
At 162.4000 on my PSR-500 steps in 12.5kHz steps - doesn't matter if USA or Canada is set in the band plan.

My PSR-500 s/n = 007008
uP Boot = F1.4
uP Appl = U2.3

You and me both. I am truly thinking I am SOL as I have a US model .. and the setting in the bandplan scanner makes no difference. The spacing is still the 12.5 KHz default spacing even though my setting (in the software and in the scanner) is set to Canada Bandplan.

The only good thing .. I almost never use this scanner, so will not lose any sleep over it.

ecps92

Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manuals
Go to "BandPlan"

Bandplan If turned on (Yes/Canada), 5 kHz steps are used in ALL receive modes between 138 and 174 MHz. If not turned on (No/USA), will use the 'Default' steps. CONV objects created in one "mode" will tune based on the "active mode" - that is, if you create a CONV object 138.005 MHz with the feature enabled, the radio will tune to 138.000 MHz if the feature is not enabled (although 138.005 will be displayed). [7] The Canadian band plan also uses 12.5 kHz steps between 406 and 470 MHz.
Default Value USA. Values: or to USA/Canada. Menu Help Text: Controls steps in 138-174 MHz and 406-470 MHz ranges
Win500 Name - Extended Settings>
Allow 5kHz steps 138-174 MHz PSREdit Name - General Configuration>Other Options>
Use 5khz steps from 138-174 MHz

You and me both. I am truly thinking I am SOL as I have a US model .. and the setting in the bandplan scanner makes no difference. The spacing is still the 12.5 KHz default spacing even though my setting (in the software and in the scanner) is set to Canada Bandplan.

The only good thing .. I almost never use this scanner, so will not lose any sleep over it.

ScannerSK

If you would like to try installing the last released Canadian DSP and Canadian CPU updates send me a private message and I can forward them to you.

Shawn

SCPD

QRT
Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manuals
Go to "BandPlan"

Bandplan If turned on (Yes/Canada), 5 kHz steps are used in ALL receive modes between 138 and 174 MHz. If not turned on (No/USA), will use the 'Default' steps. CONV objects created in one "mode" will tune based on the "active mode" - that is, if you create a CONV object 138.005 MHz with the feature enabled, the radio will tune to 138.000 MHz if the feature is not enabled (although 138.005 will be displayed). [7] The Canadian band plan also uses 12.5 kHz steps between 406 and 470 MHz.
Default Value USA. Values: or to USA/Canada. Menu Help Text: Controls steps in 138-174 MHz and 406-470 MHz ranges
Win500 Name - Extended Settings>
Allow 5kHz steps 138-174 MHz PSREdit Name - General Configuration>Other Options>
Use 5khz steps from 138-174 MHz

Definitely doesn't work in TUNE mode ..

I can program in 162.4050 for example. But in tune mode .. it does not use the Canadian band plan, it uses the US band plan.

Using tune mode is the main thing that I use this scanner for.

Swipesy

Ok .. well I pulled my PSR500 out of the mothballs and well .. I have this problem.

I am in Canada .. but cannot get the scanner to use the Canadian Band Plan.

The PSREdit software allows you to chose USA/Canada Band Plan.

Attachments

• PSREdit.jpg
    PSREdit.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 512

SCPD

QRT
The PSREdit software allows you to chose USA/Canada Band Plan.

I am well aware of that .. and can program in Canadian frequencies using PSREdit.

The issue right now .. seems to be only TUNE mode. It does not use 5 KHz steps in tune mode .. but rather 12.5 KHz steps.

That makes it pretty useless here.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
For what it's worth, I'm using a Pro-106 right now and setting it to the BandPlan to Canada does let me use the 5 kHz steps for 162 MHz. If you want to do some experimenting, trying out the older CPU 2.1 firmware wouldn't hurt.

If that works, then I wonder if something in CPU 2.3 messes with the BandPlan setting. I would imagine that DonS would like to know about it too if that is the case.

PSR-500 - The RadioReference Wiki

Edited:

Do you have FlexStep enabled? That one tripped me up at one time.

Yes

Before trying the above, turn off FlexStep. FlexStep overrides the BandPlan step size to 1.25 kHz which might look like 12.5 kHz if you aren't focusing what digits are changing.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
For what it's worth, I'm using a Pro-106 right now and setting it to the BandPlan to Canada does let me use the 5 kHz steps for 162 MHz. If you want to do some experimenting, trying out the older CPU 2.1 firmware wouldn't hurt.

If that works, then I wonder if something in CPU 2.3 messes with the BandPlan setting. I would imagine that DonS would like to know about it too if that is the case.

PSR-500 - The RadioReference Wiki

Edited:

Before trying the above, turn off FlexStep. FlexStep overrides the BandPlan step size to 1.25 kHz which might look like 12.5 kHz if you aren't focusing what digits are changing.

Wow ... that is the issue. Turned off Flex Step and now the TUNE mode works as it should.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.