PSR500/PSR600: 767-772 MHz Blocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I know a few people with the PSR-500 who are trying to program in control channel frequencies for the Maritime Trunked Radio System. Most frequencies for the system are in the 769-774 range. However, when they enter a frequency it defaults to either 766 or 773.

Is the 767-772 MHz range blocked on the 500? They tried changing the Bandplan option to Canadian and tried turning off/on Flex Step, both options didn't help.

I don't have a PSR-500, but I do have a PRO-651 which is nearly identical. 700 MHz trunking works perfectly. People with the PSR-600 also are experiencing no problems.

Any help is appreciated!

Voyager

I vaguely recall an issue GRE had with image rejection specs in one of the models (I think it was the 500) where they were forced to remove part of the 700 MHz band for FCC compliance (but I thought it was the higher part that was affected).

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I vaguely recall an issue GRE had with image rejection specs in one of the models (I think it was the 500) where they were forced to remove part of the 700 MHz band for FCC compliance (but I thought it was the higher part that was affected).

That would be the 796-806 MHz. Blocked due to intermod issues.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
No, it was due to intermod and imaging, not cellular. That shouldn't affect 767-772. I have a PSR500 and a PSR600 and have programmed all sorts of 769-774 freqs into both of them, ScanPEI...

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Images on 776-806 would be from where? (hint: Cellular - that's the only service the FCC has image rejection requirements from)

You know not of what you speak, and it might be wise to go sit down...

The images in question were from the 866-869 MHz range. In my particular experience with GRE radios from before the block was installed, frequencies in the 866 MHz range (coming from an LMR trunk system, not anything "cellular") were duplicated on ~799.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
What firmware revision are they running? Boot version and APP version.

Do they have Win500 or something to program on the computer? If so, upload the files via Zipped File here so other people may look at it.

If the frequency is not able to be programmed into the scanner (eg: 772.3873) it will revert to the next highest or lowest number (eg: 772.3875 or 772.384375).

SCPD

QRT
I have a US version PSR500 and had issues with the steps in Canada. But turning off flex step fixed that. But the range specified .. no problems here.

The manual does say ..

764.00000 - 766.996875 MHz 3.125 kHz FM
773.00000 - 775.996875 MHz 3.125 kHz FM

So probably a firmware issue at play here as GRE probably removed the gap.

Voyager

You know not of what you speak, and it might be wise to go sit down...

The images in question were from the 866-869 MHz range. In my particular experience with GRE radios from before the block was installed, frequencies in the 866 MHz range (coming from an LMR trunk system, not anything "cellular") were duplicated on ~799.

And why would the FCC require images from covered bands to be removed? Answer: They don't. They only require images of prohibited bands to be suppressed.

Yes, it is clear you know not of that which I speak.

Here is a very brief history, and I'm going to try to avoid some facts which I know about but cannot disclose. After the release of the PSR-500 (and clones), GRE was found to be in violation of the FCC's image rejection regarding Cellular bands (the only image rejection the FCC mandates). They were forced to fix the issue. As they could not change the hardware in the field to suppress the images (short of a recall of every unit), they elected to simply remove the affected band segment from the coverage of the units in order to comply with the violation.

There is no technical or legal reason why they would remove images of PS bands. There IS an FCC rule that Cellular band images must be suppressed at least 30 dB *, and that is why they had to address the issue.

* I believe the spec is 30 dB. It might be higher, but I know there is a minimum required suppression mandated.

SCPD

QRT
For the OP before this thread becomes a big ***** match.

I can definitely program frequencies in that range you specified.

My firmware shows ..

uP Appl Ver: 2.3
DSP App Ver: 1.4
DSP Voc Ver: 1.0

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Thanks everyone for the info.

So it would seem like they would need a firmware update? I haven't heard back from them yet, but im assuming the scanner has the firmware that it was shipped with. Both of them manually program their scanners, and I'm not sure if they know how or have the proper equipment to program by software.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone for the info.

So it would seem like they would need a firmware update? I haven't heard back from them yet, but im assuming the scanner has the firmware that it was shipped with. Both of them manually program their scanners, and I'm not sure if they know how or have the proper equipment to program by software.

To check the firmware hold the PGM key and turn on the radio. All you need is a cable to update the firmware as you download it as an executable (.exe) file. No software is needed.'

"Easy" to read PSR-500 manual:

http://marksscanners.com/106_197/106_197.shtml

Voyager

Was the PSR-500 firmware ever added to Whistler's website? If not, it might be found on the Yahoo Group if an update is needed.

Frenchy25

Premium Subscriber
So mine is showing :

uP Boot ver : F1.0
uP Appl Ver : F1.1
CPU SW Upgrade

So i definetely need an update I think?

Frenchy25

Premium Subscriber
Finally got it to work. Took a few mins to get the updates done but all is well. I downloaded PSRedit500 for 30 day Trial. Seem easy enough to use and I could click Canadian Band plan. So Im not sure if the updated software or the canadian band plan fixed the problem but it is now working awesome.

Thanks all for the help.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Just a quick update. Firmware update fixed everyone's problem! Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.