PSR-800: What to do about "FATAL ERROR"

Status
Not open for further replies.

K6TTD

Premium Subscriber
My PSR-800 has performed flawlessly from the time I first turned it on ... until yesterday. I turned it on, it seemed to be going through the normal "boot up" screens, got through the "verifying" screen, started to flash the "preparing please wait ..." message and then I got the following message "FATAL ERROR: Data files not valid for this App version". What???

Checked the operations manual, did multiple web searches. Found nothing to give me a clue what to do with this information, or how to fix it. Loaded latest firmware version, downloaded and updated all scanner frequency data. All to no avail.

I tried to wipe and reformat the SD card, but the operation "failed." Tried to wipe and reformat it with disk tools, but the disk was locked -- and couldn't figure out how to unlock it.

Is this just a problem with the SD card that can be fixed with a new card? Or am I in need of major service? If so, any recommendations from the group for a reliable scanner repair outfit?

Thanks

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I'd say it's the sd card; 99.9% sure it's bad. Should be up and running again with a replacement.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I think Brent's got it.

Only so many reads and writes an SD card is designed to tolerate.. it will wear down over time and eventually fail like that. I burned through two SD cards for my PSR800 in the last two years due to that aging (though one was quick enough to be a definite defective card)- mostly because I do a LOT of recording and shuffling with the data.

K6TTD

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everybody for the assist. Will be picking up a few new SD cards for the PSR 800 ASAP. To date, I have loved this scanner, it has been a very solid performer. Just wish GRE was still around to provide service and maybe turn out a new scanner or two every now and again. Oh well. Time marches on.

Status
Not open for further replies.