Black Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottm467

The bottom of my display on my GRE-000 is being eclipsed horizontally by a black space. It is half moon in shape and runs from corner to corner. Any guesses? Where would I take the radio in DFW arear to fix it? Thanks in advance, Scott

Swipesy

The bottom of my display on my GRE-000 is being eclipsed horizontally by a black space. It is half moon in shape and runs from corner to corner. Any guesses? Where would I take the radio in DFW arear to fix it? Thanks in advance, Scott

I am asuming you are referring to the PSR-800. The problem is that the radio has black tape along the bottom of the LCD. As the scanner ages, the tape begins to spread upwards and block the bottom line of the LCD display. There are specific instruction in the GRE forum of how to fix the issue yourself. I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU FIX IT YOURSELF. Why? Because I had that issue 3 weeks ago and decided to follow the instructions very carefully and heeding the warnings. Well, getting the radio apart and fixing the tape was easy. Putting the radio back together was a disaster. The LCD cable became disconnected as warned to not allow to happen. Getting it back in its slot took over an hour. Once the cable was put back in and the case closed the keypad did not work. Turns out there are two small pins that have to fit exactly in the front cover. I bent mine unintentionally. Lastly, since GRE could not allow for a 1/2 inch extra speaker wire mine got caught in a screw hole and I severed the wire in half. I ended up sending the unit to G & G Communications for repair (which is what I should have done in the 1st place).

jackj

Thanks Swipesy for your recommendation. My PSR-800 has this blocking about half of the bottom line. I was reluctant to try to fix the problem although I used to repair Motorola HT's. I'm almost 71 now and my hands are not nearly as steady as they used to be, my eyes don't work as well either. I think I'll send mine to G&G Communications also.

Jack

Scottm467

Thanks

Thanks Swipsey for the comments. Yes, it is a PSR-800. I love it. I think I will send it off to G & G. Couldn't find the instructions you found to repair.

Swipesy

Thanks Swipsey for the comments. Yes, it is a PSR-800. I love it. I think I will send it off to G & G. Couldn't find the instructions you found to repair.

Here you go for fix

Cleaning the PSR-800 LCD Display - The RadioReference Wiki

The instructions do not warn you about the two little pins that fit in front cover. They are delicate and if you don't line them up just right, disaster (I know, lol). It loooked simple but it is not. Like Jackj my eyes are not so good anymore and this is very delicate work. Forewarned if you try the fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.