PSR-800: Windows 10 - PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthias_h

Windows 10 installation of GRE PSR-800 software and driver

Windows 10 update from 1511 to 1607:
EZScan needs to be uninstalled, EZ Scan folder removed in "My Documents", reboot, then follow below procedure.

This procedure requires administrator privileges and connection to the Internet

1 - Download EZScanDGInstall_v1.08 from the greamerica.com web site, save it in a folder (e.g. named GRECOM) and unzip it in that folder. EZScanDGInstall_v1.08.exe will be created.
2 - Instruct Windows to boot into the "Options" menu. Either click on the "Power" button, hold down the "Shift" key while clicking "Restart or Run: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
3 - After rebooting into the “Options Menu”, click “Troubleshoot” and then “Advanced options”.
4 - On the next page, select "Advanced Options".
5 - Select the "Startup Settings" to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart or reboot on the next page.
6 - A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select number 7 or F7 to "Disable Driver Signature enforcement".
7 - Windows 10 will restart.
8 - Install the EZScan software by running the downloaded and unzipped EZScanDGInstall_v1.08.exe .
9 - Run the installed software and update it from inside to 1.9 Bld 301.
10 - Connect your PSR-800 scanner to the computer. Wait for the default driver installation, which is completed when a file explorer window with the scanner SD card contents pops up.
11 - Now correct the scanner driver. In the Device Manager, find the extra USB Communications Port assigned to the scanner under "Ports (COM&LPT)".
12 - Update the driver with this special procedure: "Driver" tab, "Update Driver", "Browse my computer for driver software", "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device", "Next".
13 - If "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device" is not shown then go back one screen and select "Browse for driver software on your computer", type this file path: C:\Windows\Inf\GRECOM_PSR-800.inf and click on "Next".
14 - If a warning screen about the risk of unsigned drivers appears, select the unsigned driver option because the PSR-800 driver is unsigned.
15 - Repeat the PSR-800 driver installation steps 10 - 14 for each physical USB port on your computer.
16 - You can verify the driver installation by checking in the device manager that now your scanner shows up under "Ports (COM&LPT)" as "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device".

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 installation of GRE PSR-800 software and driver

Windows 10 update from 1511 to 1607:

EZScan needs to be uninstalled, EZ Scan folder removed in "My Documents", reboot, then follow below procedure.

This procedure requires administrator privileges and connection to the Internet

1 - Download EZScanDGInstall_v1.08 from the greamerica.com web site, save it in a folder (e.g. named GRECOM) and unzip it in that folder. EZScanDGInstall_v1.08.exe will be created.

2 - Instruct Windows to boot into the "Options" menu. Either click on the "Power" button, hold down the "Shift" key while clicking "Restart or Run: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00

3 - After rebooting into the “Options Menu”, click “Troubleshoot” and then “Advanced options”.

4 - On the next page, select "Advanced Options".

5 - Select the "Startup Settings" to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart or reboot on the next page.

6 - A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select number 7 or F7 to "Disable Driver Signature enforcement".

7 - Windows 10 will restart.

8 - Install the EZScan software by running the downloaded and unzipped EZScanDGInstall_v1.08.exe .

9 - Run the installed software and update it from inside to 1.9 Bld 301.

10 - Connect your PSR-800 scanner to the computer. Wait for the default driver installation, which is completed when a file explorer window with the scanner SD card contents pops up.

11 - Now correct the scanner driver. In the Device Manager, find the extra USB Communications Port assigned to the scanner under "Ports (COM&LPT)".

12 - Update the driver with this special procedure: "Driver" tab, "Update Driver", "Browse my computer for driver software", "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device", "Next".

13 - If "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device" is not shown then go back one screen and select "Browse for driver software on your computer", type this file path: C:\Windows\Inf\GRECOM_PSR-800.inf and click on "Next".

14 - If a warning screen about the risk of unsigned drivers appears, select the unsigned driver option because the PSR-800 driver is unsigned.

15 - Repeat the PSR-800 driver installation steps 10 - 14 for each physical USB port on your computer.

16 - You can verify the driver installation by checking in the device manager that now your scanner shows up under "Ports (COM&LPT)" as "GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device".

What was your issue that you had to do all of this? I'd caution anyone doing the "removal" of your EZScan folder under Documents, will delete your settings, scanlists and all programming. I would suggest if you need to do all of this to rename it.

If the issue is with the PC detecting the scanner via USB, I would recommend using a memory card reader instead. It will be faster and less headache. If your PSR-800 has the last updates from GRE, then I would not worry about the driver issue since there most likely won't have any more updates from Whistler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garyltucker

I am having problems trying to update the firmware on my GRE 800 scanner. I have done the following, deleted the program and reinstalled it with the windows 10 1607 update. Everything seems to work but the firmware update. When I try, the message on the scanner says waiting for usb. When I try to download, the firmware is downloaded in the message box but it won't put it on the scanner because I get the message, Scanner not found. I get that a lot when doing the other downloads but I keep hitting the message box scanner not found until it goes through. The firmware is a one time shot.
I have found when there are new library updates, it is better for me to put my micro card into an adapter and use that in the usb slot. The download is a lot faster and I don't have any hang ups like going through the scanner. I like the scanner but I hate it when companies go out of business and have no way to deal with problems that arise.

mrnavy2

Ocean Twp, Monmouth County, Central New Jersey
hey all, I am trying to update my 2 portable scanners using EZSCAN with Window 10. I had no problems updating it with XP but now I have a new pc with window 10 and it seems like I cannot update anything. DO you have any advise? Thanks Steve..(NJ)

garyltucker

I am using cpu firmware 1* and dsp firmware 1* on my psr 800. Never had a problem with windows xp. Updated to Windows 10 and cannot update both firmware's. I always get a "cannot find device", so the updates never get updated. I have updated software version to 1.8. Any ideas for this dilemma? Start all over?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Find a computer with windows 7 and end the madness as this scanner doesn't play well with windows 10. Or search the forums for the GREFWTOOL, download that and use it to update the cpu firmware and or apply the hack that makes it a ws1080.

garyltucker

All reply to my problem

In regards to the Windows 10 problem I was having, it is resolved. I finally had time to sit down and read the instructions for using Windows 10 and comprehend them. If you follow the instructions, the program works great for Windows 10. Had to go into the disk manager and change the drive settings for the PSR 800 scanner. I am all up to date.

marksmith

I am having problems trying to update the firmware on my GRE 800 scanner. I have done the following, deleted the program and reinstalled it with the windows 10 1607 update. Everything seems to work but the firmware update. When I try, the message on the scanner says waiting for usb. When I try to download, the firmware is downloaded in the message box but it won't put it on the scanner because I get the message, Scanner not found. I get that a lot when doing the other downloads but I keep hitting the message box scanner not found until it goes through. The firmware is a one time shot.
I have found when there are new library updates, it is better for me to put my micro card into an adapter and use that in the usb slot. The download is a lot faster and I don't have any hang ups like going through the scanner. I like the scanner but I hate it when companies go out of business and have no way to deal with problems that arise.
The problem isn't with the GRE software (the company that went out of business), it is with Windows 10.

Unfortunately, thst company is still in business and pumping out software such as Windows 10, that doesn't play well with lots and lots of devices that require drivers.

I can tell you from experience that even once you get it working, the next time Win10 updates, it will decide it is smarter than you, and disable or change the scanner driver to one that won't work.

I decided to keep a couple pc's on win7 so I have computers that can smoothly operate with my radios, and not use my Win10 machine for any radio software, or any other stuff that requires a device driver.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

baydog

I took another approach to deal with the Win 10/PSR 800 issues. Since all my scanners played well with Win 7, I installed Oracle's VM VirtualBox software on my Win10 laptop ( it's free!) and created a Win 7x64 virtual machine.

Now when I need to program My PSR 800 or RS 668 I just fire up the Win7 VM.

Thus far, I haven't had any problems ( fingers crossed).

rwier

I don't want to even hear win10 in my sleep. My two latest computer purchases were a win 7 and a win 8.1 "refurbished". Two "loaded" boxes that went for $2500-$3000 new for $499 each. Still smiling. At 77 years and poor health, I may avoid 10 forever.

marksmith

I don't want to even hear win10 in my sleep. My two latest computer purchases were a win 7 and a win 8.1 "refurbished". Two "loaded" boxes that went for $2500-$3000 new for $499 each. Still smiling. At 77 years and poor health, I may avoid 10 forever.
I am with you 100%

Mark

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Last time I used the PSR-800 and Unitrunker on a Windows 10 PC was7 months ago which ran just fine then I tried a month ago and would not work.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The problem is the windows 10 doesn't like unsigned drivers. You tell windows to allow unsigned drivers and everything works then when windows updates I think it is disabling the unsigned drivers.
So you have to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

It is for security as unsigned malicious driver could cause a some major headaches for you.

marksmith

The problem is the windows 10 doesn't like unsigned drivers. You tell windows to allow unsigned drivers and everything works then when windows updates I think it is disabling the unsigned drivers.
So you have to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

It is for security as unsigned malicious driver could cause a some major headaches for you.
This is a good diagnosis. Each time Win10 updates itself it invalidates drivers. Quite a few, and just about all scanner drivers are unsigned.

I got tired of fighting win10, bought a win7 computer for managing all my scanners, and all my continuous problems went away.

Windows 10 sucks as an operating system to use with scanners. It thinks it knows everything, but it doesn't. It gets a lot of things wrong, and just isn't worth fighting it.

Mark

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Woindows 10 vs scanners

I have had no problems with scanner drivers and Windows updates. It would be interesting to compare system differences to locate a cause. However, I have both a Windows XP and Windows 7 for backups, and even a DOS laptop for a couple of very old radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.