PSR-800 Phase II volume too loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsewnab

Premium Subscriber
I'm starting to pickup what I assume is phase II on my PSR-800. It says D2 instead of DG on the display. The issue is that anything with a D2 seems to be 1/3 louder than anything else. If I turn it down I can't hear any other traffic and if I turn it up the D2 chatter is way too loud.

I've messed around with the AGC and the DSP settings. I can't find anything that changes this behavior. I may just just be hitting the right combination. I am looking for some help with this issue.

SCPD

QRT
loud digital?

Go to settings and make DAC gain to a negative value either or scanner or on ezscan ,remember to save your settings ....

mcsewnab

Premium Subscriber
DAC Gain is at -2db which is the lowest. I believe I had set this already.

marksmith

Correct. You need to each talkgroup to find the settings, but you can adjust them up or down until they match the other stuff you listen to.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

mcsewnab

Premium Subscriber
I must be missing something. The only option I see on the talk group is Enable AGC. I turned that on but it didn't appear to affect anything. I guess its possible with all the changes that I've made some other setting may be conflicting.

I haven't been listening to my scanner much because of the volume issue. I jump out of my skin when Phase II chatter comes on.

dpm3

This is an issue that frustrates me as well. I am scanning talk groups from a Phase 2 system and a Phase 1 system (along with several conventional channels) and the difference in volume is so pronounced as to make it impractical in most situations to comfortably monitor all the desired talkgroups/systems & channels at the same time. My specific questions at this juncture are: 1) whether, if the AGC setting for the Phase 2 system is set to "On" via the software, whether it must also be set to "On" for each of the relevant talkgroups shown on the software scanlist; and 2) whether the setting of "-2" referred to above is generally accepted as optimal for reconciling the volume differences or whether some experimenting is necessary to adjust for individual local systems? For those of us less sophisticated in such matters (or less able than the "experts" here), step by step directions for adjusting these setting would be most helpful along with some practical guidelines as to how best to reconcile the volume differences would be much appreciated. Thanks!

joele1

Premium Subscriber
This is also happening on the Radio Shack Pro668 and Whistler 1095. P2 transmissions are way to loud compared to all other transmissions.

mcsewnab

Premium Subscriber
I started from scratch with a new config. Each time I picked up Phase II chatter I changed one of the AGC or Gain settings. Nothing makes any difference. I've got them all enabled and set to -2db and all the Phase II stuff is still too loud to listen to.

Either its not working as designed or I am still missing something.

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
I have Pro 668 and have the exact same problem. I have researched the web and tried everything. Nothing seems to work. I hope you find a fix. If you do please post it

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Try Audio Boost

Hi guys... try turning on audio boost for all objects except Phase II objects, then lower your overall volume level.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
PSR-800 Phase II too loud

That's just the way phase II is. It's LOUDER and it doesn't matter if you change the objects audioboost settings. It's the trunked system doing it, not the objects or talkgroups. The same object I hear for NWCD FIRE 1 can be heard in FDMA at normal levels, then blasts in TDMA phase II whenever the system changes. IT will just show D2 in the right corner and be louder. Normally it's FDMA and normal volume levels. The EZScan audioboost has no effect on that. I've never heard audioboost do anything or make any noticeable difference at all for any objects since I've had my WS1080 over 2 years now. Didn't the PSR-800 and RS Pro668 get a similar update as our Whistlers? where you can set the ADC and DAC gains to -1 - 10? that's the fix. The normal settings are 0 and -4. I usually set mine at 0 and -5.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
ahh, that's not good. Sometimes I have it at -2 and -8 and the thing still blasts too loud. We have one town, Glenview IL Fire that came on recently always in phase II. I could hear it through a wall it's so loud. Then our local NWCD FIRE2 sometimes does the automated voice and dispatch IN phase 2. That is so loud it's hilarious.

bama9999

I have a similar, yet different, issue on one of the systems that I listen to, in that the volume change between TG's isn't a problem, but instead the problem is between certain radios transmitting. Usually, though not always, dispatch is much louder than the mobile units. You turn it up to hear the mobiles, and dispatch blows you out of your chair...set it so that dispatch sounds ok, then you can barely hear the mobiles. Since they're on the same TG, the offsets can do nothing to help this.

The only thing I can think of that might help, but it's not currently available, and don't know if it will ever be, is that if you could set the volume offsets per individual radio ID, instead of just by TG.

minasha

I have been complaining about this P2 audio for 2 years now and there is only 1 fix I know of:
Get a Uniden bcd436, although it has other problems of it's own the Phase 2 is not noticeably louder.

mcsewnab

Premium Subscriber
It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be a solution to this issue. Hopefully if someone comes up with one they will post. I'm lucky that there isn't a lot of Phase II in my area right now but I guess that may not be the case moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.