GRE 600 and P25 Conv Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xbullworker

I have an old GRE 600 I am trying to program with Win 500 software. I tried to load some P25 conventional channels into the radio with Win 500 and Radio Reference. They were listed as P25 on RR but when I loaded them into the radio they were FM. There is a modulation drop down in Win 500 but it does not list P25.

Can I somehow change these conventional channels to P25 or does the GRE 600 not support Conv P25?

D

DaveNF2G

The PSR600 will apply the P25 decoder when it receives a P25 signal on an FM channel.

ScannerSK

Yes, each conventional TGRP can be set to P25. The choices available in the scanner itself are as follows: None, CTCSS, DCS, P25, and Search.

The Win500 Software should include all the available options the scanner offers? I use a different software.

Shawn

KB7MIB

I have a PSR 500. Once you program the frequency, you then program the squelch as ScannerSK mentioned. If "None", "P25", or "Search", the radio will automatically decode a P25 signal.

John
Peoria

Xbullworker

I have a PSR 500. Once you program the frequency, you then program the squelch as ScannerSK mentioned. If "None", "P25", or "Search", the radio will automatically decode a P25 signal.

John
Peoria

I am using WIN500 software for programming. I got a bunch of conventional P25 freqs downloaded from RR thru WIN500. Win500 made the modulation mode as FM but put the squelch setting as NAC. I checked the drop down box for squelch in WIN500 and P25 is not an option. It has NONE, CTCSS,DCS,NAC,multiple.

I am not sure what NAC is but understand the other selections.

budevans

WIN500

I am using WIN500 software for programming. I got a bunch of conventional P25 freqs downloaded from RR thru WIN500. Win500 made the modulation mode as FM but put the squelch setting as NAC. I checked the drop down box for squelch in WIN500 and P25 is not an option. It has NONE, CTCSS,DCS,NAC,multiple.

I am not sure what NAC is but understand the other selections.

Just use the default settings: For Mod (modulation) the setting is Auto and for Squelch the setting is Search.

The scanner will automatically decode the P25 (CAI) audio.

usswood

Just use the default settings: For Mod (modulation) the setting is Auto and for Squelch the setting is Search.

The scanner will automatically decode the P25 (CAI) audio.

This setup works, but If you know that it is conv P25 then set it as P25 instead of auto... If not it will take the scanner a sec or 2 to open the squelch as P25.. If its mixed audio, P25/FM then auto works best

usswood

This is why I get confused. P25 is NOT an option in the WIN500 software. With conventional channels, the modulation options are: AM,FM,NFM and Auto. NO P25 selection is available.

do this...sq mode is = P25
then sq NAC = search (if you don't know the exact NAC)

Modulation is either FM/NFM

hope this helps with the confusion

budevans

No P25 settings for Mod or Squelch

This is why I get confused. P25 is NOT an option in the WIN500 software. With conventional channels, the modulation options are: AM,FM,NFM and Auto. NO P25 selection is available.

At least three members have said the same thing. There is nothing to set in WIN500 for conventional channels/frequencies. P25 encoded digital signals are automatically detected by the GRE PSR600 and PSR500 scanners.

Here's a link if you want more information regarding P25: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/P25_CA

Note: If you still can't receive these channels/frequencies, are you sure they are conventional and not part of Trunk system. What system or group are your trying to receive? City/Town name and location. Where did you find this info in the RR database?

Last edited:

Xbullworker

At least three members have said the same thing. There is nothing to set in WIN500 for conventional channels/frequencies. P25 encoded digital signals are automatically detected by the GRE PSR600 and PSR500 scanners.

True, but 3 other members told me to set the modulation for P25 which can not be done. I have it figured out now, the answer in your quote is correct.

ScannerSK

True, but 3 other members told me to set the modulation for P25 which can not be done.

If the "Squelch Mode" is set to either "Search" or to "None" this will slow down the scanner by the amount of time specified in the "DG Int Prime" setting in the special global settings menu (typically set to 60 which equates to 600 milliseconds per active channel). If it is known for certain that a conventional object is P25 then you will want to set the "Squelch Mode" to "NAC" and the "Squelch Code" to "Search" to prevent slowing the scanner down unnecessarily by forcing the conventional object to search for all types of modulation every time there is activity on that object.

Below (circled in red) is an example of how to set a conventional object (known to be using P25 modulation) to P25 using the Win500 software. What the software calls "NAC" sets the scanner to "P25". I hope this helps.

Attachments

• P25.jpg
    P25.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

ScannerSK has it right (as did a couple of others).

In the GRE scanners, a Squelch Mode of NAC limits the processor to evaluating whether signals carry a Network Access Code, or whether they are P25 digital. The Squelch Code of Search tells the processor to demodulate (send to the speaker) any transmission that has a NAC and display the code on the screen.

The later model Unidens are more explicit, in that they offer first a choice of Analog or Digital "Squelch Mode" and then offer the relevant Search/Decode selections based on that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.