PSR-500 future firmware wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
One thing that i've found is that it would be nice to be able to directly enter PL or DPL tones when programming an conventional object.

Warren

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
1) Auto-mute ENC P25. Needed for channels that mix unencrypted and encrypted P25 traffic. You cannot simply lock out the channel ...

1A) For that matter, if it's not unencrypted P25 digital, the only digital that this scanner decodes, then auto-mute it. That would take care of other digitial (whether encrypted or not) transmissions that we can't hear or understand. That would make life very nice. Again, due to some channels mixing traffic, you cannot simply lock out the channel.

2) The radio has issues with Smartnet simulcast (at least in my market). That needs to be fine-tuned. Lot's of noise, chuffing, and phase problems--worse than my 396 with this particular system.

3) When adding new channels, add DUPE to that menu rather than only in the EDIT menu.

4) Find a way to have more than 20 ScanLists. That's killing me. I travel/service a lot of systems and have many different systems that are convenient for me to have entered within the same geographic area--even the same agency. This is not suitable for VListing, rather for more differentiation within the existing system or agency and well within the 1800 object limitation of a VList. I'm quite used to the Systems/Groups on the Uniden (which also needs more groups!), which can translate fine if you have enough ScanLists.

5) When using the radio in some areas, it's quite convenient--and exhibits better security--by having a pseudo-stealth mode for the display, meaning display ONLY the object tag. Forget about the frequency, object number, etc., etc. This could be an additional attribute for the object controlled by a global switch, as an example.

6) Tweak the "silent squelch tail" ... advertising stated this was enhanced. I don't see any enhancements to this effect. Don't really know how they were going to do this other than recognize and process any present reverse bursts in the squelch--albeit do it efficiently and consistently.

7) Don't mess with the unencrypted P25--it's working great!

8) When displaying a trunking system, I really don't care about the frequency display. I'd MUCH rather have the talk group ID displayed! Perhaps make this an attribute for the talk group object to select display of the frequency vs. TGID. Better yet, reconfigure the display and put both up--there's room on a line "12345 867.123450" if you can live without the last frequency digit being displayed.

Last edited:

wwhitby

Feed Provider
bc780l said:
8) When displaying a trunking system, I really don't care about the frequency display. I'd MUCH rather have the talk group ID displayed! Perhaps make this an attribute for the talk group object to select display of the frequency vs. TGID. Better yet, reconfigure the display and put both up--there's room on a line "12345 867.123450" if you can live without the last frequency digit being displayed.

Along those lines, one gentleman mentioned on the PSR-500 release thread that he would like to see the "bank discription" tag like the PRO-96 has brought back. After filling up all 20 scan lists today, I would agree. With conventional objects, its hard to tell what object is in what scan list. I had to create a cheat sheet card today just so I could remember.

Warren

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Also add the DUPE function to ease our life when adding conventional objects.

rvawatch

forget about displaying the voice channel being used. have some indication in to which site it is reading from in the system (for multisite systems). I'm glad we have the multisite feature now, but I can't tell at all how I should adjust my settings if I can't tell which site it is reading from. Heck, display the talkgroup ID as mentioned before, then just put a number: 1,2,3,etc indicating which number frequency or site is being used.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Lately I've been wondering how, if possible, GRE could add "sub-scanlists" to each main scanlist. I thought one possible way is how currently on the Pro-96 when you're scanning a trunked system, you can press FUNC + TRUNK and the site tag changes to show the ID sub-banks. From there you can enable and disable individual ID sub-banks. Well, we could have the same on the PSR-500. When the radio is scanning a particular scanlist, just punch a couple of keys, have the radio show the 10 sub-lists and from there you can just press a single number key to enable/disable any of the 10 sub-list (0-9). Sounds do-able to me. I mean they already had the feature so to speak on their older models and now with the flexible memory format and upgradeable firmware.....

P.S. Maybe they could even add a temp-lockout to sub-scanlists also!

kevins669

Database Admin
Definitely need to be able to customize the screen... Some people want frequencies, some people want labels.

I would normally always want to have text labels, unless I am doing some sort of system research or something.

Let us choose what we want on the display.

-- Kevin

rvawatch

kikito said:
Lately I've been wondering how, if possible, GRE could add "sub-scanlists" to each main scanlist. I thought one possible way is how currently on the Pro-96 when you're scanning a trunked system, you can press FUNC + TRUNK and the site tag changes to show the ID sub-banks. From there you can enable and disable individual ID sub-banks. Well, we could have the same on the PSR-500. When the radio is scanning a particular scanlist, just punch a couple of keys, have the radio show the 10 sub-lists and from there you can just press a single number key to enable/disable any of the 10 sub-list (0-9). Sounds do-able to me. I mean they already had the feature so to speak on their older models and now with the flexible memory format and upgradeable firmware.....

P.S. Maybe they could even add a temp-lockout to sub-scanlists also!

or like the unidens.... for scanlists 1-9 you just press the button, 10-19 you press . then the button (10 would be 0). Then to activate or deactivate subscanlists, you press func then 1-10.

troymail

Silent Key
rvawatch said:
or like the unidens.... for scanlists 1-9 you just press the button, 10-19 you press . then the button (10 would be 0). Then to activate or deactivate subscanlists, you press func then 1-10.

I mentioned that in another thread... but one better - why can't it work like a remote for a TV or cable box... if hit "1" and then "3" within , say, 2 secs, take that as "13".... uniden should do this too.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
text entry

troymail said:
For entering alpha tags - let me press the 2 button once to get an A, twice to get a B, three times to get a C, etc...
YES!! That is common with cell phones. In case some like the present way I guess it could be a GLOBAL choice.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
radionut44 said:
YES!! That is common with cell phones. In case some like the present way I guess it could be a GLOBAL choice.

My vote would be to leave it the way it is. Trying to send a simple text message on a cell phone takes me a very long time.

Let my A be A and my 1 be 1 :)

Warren

DonS

rvawatch said:
forget about displaying the voice channel being used. have some indication in to which site it is reading from in the system (for multisite systems). I'm glad we have the multisite feature now, but I can't tell at all how I should adjust my settings if I can't tell which site it is reading from. Heck, display the talkgroup ID as mentioned before, then just put a number: 1,2,3,etc indicating which number frequency or site is being used.
The radio already does that in MAN mode on TGRP objects, if you set the "ShowCCInfo" item in the GLOB menu to "Yes".

kikito

Premium Subscriber
DonS said:
The radio already does that in MAN mode on TGRP objects, if you set the "ShowCCInfo" item in the GLOB menu to "Yes".

That's cool how you can see the radio searching all the control channels for the talkgroup you're holding on MAN mode. According to page 98 of the manual, it'll show the receive quality of the control channels only when the MultiSite setting is set to Off. So if you're using STAT or ROAM, it'll only show the CCs that it's locking on to, which for the purposes of the inquiry from "rvawatch", that should do the trick.

djg000111

1. My vote is for GRE to fix the DSP so that on P25 systems the PSR-500 will have fewer missed calls than the Pro-2096. Currently, my P25 receives less than 10% of the calls that my Pro-2096 receives.

2. The User Interface on the PSR-500 is excellent as is.

3. I want to know if the reply or command is encrypted. If the reply is encrypted is it a long reply or a short reply. Leave the encrypted noise as is. I know that the encrypted noise is not pleasant and if the reply is long, the radio is missing other calls. Some trade-offs must be accepted.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
djg000111 said:
1. My vote is for GRE to fix the DSP so that on P25 systems the PSR-500 will have fewer missed calls than the Pro-2096. Currently, my P25 receives less than 10% of the calls that my Pro-2096 receives.

I think what you're seeing is what many of us are also seeing and it doesn't have to do with the DSP. It's more of a tracking issue and I would think it's a CPU firmware update that's needed. The DSP as far as I know, has to do with decoding P25 digital voice only.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Something that would be nice if they add it is:

After loading a v-folder, having an F key function to hit for rebooting or have the radio automatically reboot after you load the v-folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.