RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default PSR 500 Programming Question

Am I correct that all you need to add to the list of frequencies are the control channels and not all the channels for the system?

Also what about "alternate control channels?"
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2007, 12:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsklar
Am I correct that all you need to add to the list of frequencies are the control channels and not all the channels for the system?

Yes, all you need to add is the control channels, including the alternates, in case they switch to them.

P25 (9600) systems seem to stay always in the primary control channel unless they have a problem. Motorola (3600) systems seem to rotate up to four of them at set intervals.
Old 11-18-2007, 4:23 PM

rsklar,

Contorl channels are all you will need for Motorola. For an EDACS system, you will need to enter all the frequencies and in the correct order. I believe this is also true for LTR. I don't have an LTR system close by so I haven't tried.
Old 11-18-2007, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEH
rsklar,

Contorl channels are all you will need for Motorola. For an EDACS system, you will need to enter all the frequencies and in the correct order. I believe this is also true for LTR. I don't have an LTR system close by so I haven't tried.
For LTR, you need all of the frequencies, but you don't have to enter them in any particular order. Just set the "AutoMove HRs" item in the LTR TSYS menu to "On" and the radio will put things where they belong.
Old 11-18-2007, 4:39 PM

Are there any reasons why if you were using a scanner that can do CC trunking, you'd want to put in all the freqs? Does adding all the freqs. help in some way compared to using CC's only?
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2007, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltonAsus
Are there any reasons why if you were using a scanner that can do CC trunking, you'd want to put in all the freqs? Does adding all the freqs. help in some way compared to using CC's only?
It helps when the known CCs aren't the only CCs in use by the system, or when the system administrators decide to change which of their freqs they use for CCs.
Old 11-18-2007, 4:45 PM

So, the only benifit would be if the admins were to change the CC you'd already have the freq. programmed in correct? So does using CC's help in terms of scanning speed?

For ex. I have 4 towers off of the MPSCS in Michigan. If I were to add in all the freqs instead of just the CC's the scan cycle would take longer, right?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I wasn't sure.
Old 11-18-2007, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltonAsus
So, the only benifit would be if the admins were to change the CC you'd already have the freq. programmed in correct? So does using CC's help in terms of scanning speed?

For ex. I have 4 towers off of the MPSCS in Michigan. If I were to add in all the freqs instead of just the CC's the scan cycle would take longer, right?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I wasn't sure.
It depends on how you have the "MultiSite" option set for the TSYS. If it's set to "Off" or "Roam", having a bunch of non-CCs in there won't hurt anything. If you have it set to "Stat", the radio will check every one of the TSYS frequencies, so it's not a good idea to enter anything but actual CCs.
Old 11-18-2007, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsklar

Occasionally, RR doesn't list ALL of the CC frequencies and alternates (I just reported one such case in the past few weeks). Also, a while back, one of my local systems was experiencing interference and while they were trying to figure things out, they appeared to use ALL of the system frequencies at one time or another as a CC while trying to work through it.

The "downside" to entering all:
(1) for some systems, you may not be able to program all of them (I think you're limited to 32 freqs or something like that per TSYS)
(2) if one of the settings attempts to find the "best" CC frequency, it will need to check all of the freqs you have programmed (i.e. 32 freqs will take longer to check than 5, etc.)
Sponsored links