RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 6:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

While not specifically mentioned, this upgrade apparently fixes the "3" NAC bug problem where certain combinations of NAC's with "3" in them would not open the squelch if programmed in. I encountered this situation with a local system. After upgrading I checked again and it works fine now.
Sponsored links

Old 02-22-2008, 8:19 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee
Yeah, what are the "up grades" for?
What?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebennett
While not specifically mentioned, this upgrade apparently fixes the "3" NAC bug problem where certain combinations of NAC's with "3" in them would not open the squelch if programmed in. I encountered this situation with a local system. After upgrading I checked again and it works fine now.
I asked.... Yes that is correct, they forgot to mention that, but it is fixed in the DSP 1.2 part of the upgrade.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey
I thought I had seen some literature that the PRO-2096 had a computer connection on the rear as well as in the front. Obviously I'm incorrect.
GRE placed it on the front after all the flack they got with the 2067 having the PC/IF on the back. Front is the only place for my use...but can certainly understand your concern.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmon
GRE placed it on the front after all the flack they got with the 2067 having the PC/IF on the back. Front is the only place for my use...but can certainly understand your concern.
I have a 2067 mounted in the console of one of my cars now and I can't complete the mounting of my ham mobile because I would lose the ability to reach the PC/IF if I were to finish the installation. Reaching it is problematic as I have to do it blind and my hand barely fits. When I travel I have to reprogram the scanner each time as I have the 500 channels full for the region I live in so access to the rear of the radio is needed frequently.

Those problems will be solved when the 600 gets mounted as reprogramming will occur far less often and when it needs it the front access will make it a breeze to get it done.

When I purchased my BC-200 handheld in the mid 1980's I had hand written programs I carried around in a notebook. When I needed to change a program I either had to erase much of the program or start over. When I traveled I had to reprogram the entire 200 channels by hand. With alphanumerics not being available I used to have to look at the program frequently while driving and often missed identifying what I was listening to when the radio stopped on a lot of frequencies very quickly. I dreamed about having a computer to program those 200 channels Having a radio with a capacity the 600 has and laptop computers allowing in dash programming is beyond what I dreamed. I had no idea that radio systems would become so complex, so I really appreciate the capabilities the 600 has. I will easily adapt to the "inconvenience" of not having a jack on the rear of the radio.

Started out as a "donnowhatiwannabe," moved on to a "wannabe," became "abe" and now I'm a "wasabe."
Sponsored links

Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

Quote:
I have a 2067 mounted in the console of one of my cars now and I can't complete the mounting of my ham mobile because I would lose the ability to reach the PC/IF if I were to finish the installation. Reaching it is problematic as I have to do it blind and my hand barely fits.
A 6 foot mono cable with RCA plug and jack RS 42-2472 will eliminate searching for the plug on the back. Plug the cable in and run the loose end to an area where you can plug the cloning cable in when needed. Saves fishing for the back 2067 each time.
Quote:
Those problems will be solved when the 600 gets mounted as reprogramming will occur far less often and when it needs it the front access will make it a breeze to get it done.
yes indeed, replaced the 2067 with 2096 in early Feb 05. Have a 600 on Big Brown at this time to replace it.
Old 02-22-2008, 5:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmbio
GRE did a fine job with this release.

They did not correct the entry of LTR trunk groups from the keyboard.

GRE indicated in a reply to my inquiry in December they were aware of the issue.

You must use a wildcard on LTR systems and enter the trunk group you wish to save as it is displayed on the LCD readout during a transmission. I just want to be able to punch the groups in from the keypad like I can do with my Pro-97.

Enjoy
WMBIO
Are you talking about the PSR-500? I have no problems entering LTR talkgroup IDs from the keypad on the PSR-500. Just use the decimal point in the positions where the dashes should be.

Mike
Old 02-24-2008, 9:40 AM

Quote:
I dreamed about having a computer to program those 200 channels Having a radio with a capacity the 600 has and laptop computers allowing in dash programming is beyond what I dreamed. I had no idea that radio systems would become so complex, so I really appreciate the capabilities the 600 has. I will easily adapt to the "inconvenience" of not having a jack on the rear of the radio.
What is also convenient about the PSR-500 and 600 is the 21 V-Scanner folders which also alleviates the need to carry the laptop around with the radio :-)
Old 02-24-2008, 3:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpunut
What is also convenient about the PSR-500 and 600 is the 21 V-Scanner folders which also alleviates the need to carry the laptop around with the radio :-)
I'm familiar with the V Files as I purchased a PRO-96 in 2005. I thought I would then put a PRO-2096 in my car and one for my base station. All the debate about it being able to be upgraded for the 700 MHz band and narrow band channel spacing caused me to back off purchasing two of them. Then the rumors started to spread about GRE making a new scanner that would take care of those problems and more, so I waited patiently for almost three years for the PSR 600 to come out. I'm holding out in purchasing the 500 as the 96 will be OK for a few more years now, as many as possible, which may be until the narrow band mandate for state and local agencies starts in 2013, I believe.

I have the 10 V Files on my 96 full for the places I frequently travel. Having ten more will allow me to have programs for the places I travel to less often. I'm going to be researching and writing programs for the next 2 years!!

Started out as a "donnowhatiwannabe," moved on to a "wannabe," became "abe" and now I'm a "wasabe."
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2008, 3:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd396towner
The GRE does have con's guy's/gals no FM Radio!.
Oh yeah! Of course I forgot! I bought a $500 DIGITAL trunktracking scanner with the most advanced SCANNING features ever just so that I can listen to FM radio!

That's a very weak argument and trivial reason against buying ANY scanner.
Old 02-24-2008, 6:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Guess why the GRE's dont have fm radio

NO ONE CARES!!!

Who would use it anyway, that's NOT a con.
Old 02-25-2008, 5:02 PM

I was one of the complainers about my GRE500 not getting ICALLS and having some Edacs problems WELL, today my scanning friend put in the new firmware and now i want to thank him because he is a GREAT friend and especially the GREAT folks at GRE because i can HEAR ICALLS very well and making a adjustment on the "end-tone for Edacs solved my modulation skipping problem...This is one fantastic scanner and i been fooling with this hobby for over 35 years...I do like my 396 but this little "beast " from GRE makes the hobby great....GRE600's where are you!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 1:43 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9xyz
NO ONE CARES!!!

Who would use it anyway, that's NOT a con.
Do u have the PSR-500? I might buy it if not next year than 2010. Im reading all the reviews about it so far so good.

Can someone that has it email me what u think about it. rccrazy2004@hotmail.com or just PM me if u want.

Im still considering buying it. Reading this forum help's a lot for me. I need to read a little more about it than Im ready.

There's no rush buying it. Im having a lot fun with my 396 for now. Having two radios would be awesome, when my 396 radio die's I can still use my PSR at the airport. It is a great thing to have two radio's handy.

Last edited by bcd396towner; 02-28-2008 at 1:48 AM..
Old 02-28-2008, 7:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Yes

Yes I have the 500 and the 600. I also have the 396(which I really like) and the 996 as well as too many other to list.
It doesn't hurt to have more than "one" I have more than 40.
Anyway I feel if your willing to learn you would like the GRE PSR-500, it rocks!
Old 03-01-2008, 9:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Issues with Motorola after update tp 1.2

I have two Motorola trunk systems (Dayton, Ohio and Montgomery County, Ohio)
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=864
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=406

I have Greene County Ohio, Ohio MARCS-Digital, and Wright Patterson AirForce Base-Digital.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=578
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=901

SYSTEM: Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
TYPE: Motorola Type II UHF - Digital
SYSID: 2b1c
Set Base frequency - 406.3500
Offset - 380
Step - 12.50 kHz

Here is the issue. I didn't really have any complaints before the update (from 1.1). I wanted to have the updates. I normally scan all of the systems above (I have each system on a seperate scan list. The scan list has the trunk as well as some conventional frequencies). After the update I have found that my PSR500 usually stops on the WPAFB or MARCS system. Sometimes it will stop on the Greene County one, but rarely on Dayton or Montgomery County. It's almost like it is preferring the Digital trunking systems or something. If I scan only the Dayton list, or only the Montgomery County list

Am I losing it, or is someone else seeing the same thing? I am using roam mode on the Motorola systems.

Last edited by kb8tfe; 03-01-2008 at 9:17 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2008, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tfe
I have two Motorola trunk systems (Dayton, Ohio and Montgomery County, Ohio)
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=864
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=406

I have Greene County Ohio, Ohio MARCS-Digital, and Wright Patterson AirForce Base-Digital.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=578
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=901

SYSTEM: Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
TYPE: Motorola Type II UHF - Digital
SYSID: 2b1c
Set Base frequency - 406.3500
Offset - 380
Step - 12.50 kHz

Here is the issue. I didn't really have any complaints before the update (from 1.1). I wanted to have the updates. I normally scan all of the systems above (I have each system on a seperate scan list. The scan list has the trunk as well as some conventional frequencies). After the update I have found that my PSR500 usually stops on the WPAFB or MARCS system. Sometimes it will stop on the Greene County one, but rarely on Dayton or Montgomery County. It's almost like it is preferring the Digital trunking systems or something. If I scan only the Dayton list, or only the Montgomery County list

Am I losing it, or is someone else seeing the same thing? I am using roam mode on the Motorola systems.
Mine doesn't do that. Is the S meter showing full bars when on the systems you are not receiving? Do you have another scanner to make sure that someone on the other systems is talking?
Old 03-13-2008, 7:35 PM

Default new out of box

Just got the radio today through scannermaster. I told them i wanted the most current and up to date ie. 1.2 and i got the radio out, turned it on while holding 3 - 1.1, 1.1, 1.0. He said they just got a batch in last week and were "held up over this".

Makes me want to send it back already but i want to prevent that.

Anyway, im trying to do the 1.2 CPU and 1.2 DSP with the cable to the computer and it's not communicating right. I chose several comm ports and it's still not doing what it should.

Anyone know what is going on without going through 50 threads with A-B-C-D type instructions.

Thank you, Curfew.
Old 03-13-2008, 8:07 PM
Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

Go to device manager and expand + next to Ports (COM & LPT). Find the USB Serial Port (COM#).
Old 03-13-2008, 9:03 PM

fmon, many thanks. I finally got it. Now i have to sit with it for while and learn my way around it. I really wanted to most up to date before programming anything -and now im there. Curfew
Closed Thread