santa monica pd

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
as of yesterday 11-18-08 santa monica pd went back to analog on all freqs
Which puts them back in compliance with their KVJ951 license, which allows only analog (20K0F3E) emissions. Unless they have some reason not to run digital, I would expect to see a modification request in the near future.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
haha... Next you will tell me they dropped LAFD for dispatching.
Well, as a matter of fact they are apparently considering it. On 9/16/08 the SM City Council approved a contract with an outfit called GeoComm to study their fire dispatching to

"1. Review of industry standards and best practices and identify operational concepts that meet the needs of the Fire Department;

2. Provide an operational assessment of current dispatch/communication services provided by OCD including a review of deficiencies and identification of potential corrective actions; and

3. Complete a comparative analysis of various communication and dispatch service options (including, but not limited to, a changed OCD and return to an inhouse system), recommendations and a master plan for the optimal development of a communication and dispatch system."​

Any idea what the "deficiencies" might be?

Last edited:

dgower

Premium Subscriber
The information on SoCalScan is similar to what I was told. They're on their backup analog base stations while they switch to full time encryption. ETA 2 weeks for return to digital, this time 100% encrypted.

karldotcom

I dont think SMFD/Gerber and LAFD have melded particularly well.....but that is just based on what I have heard on the scanner. Santa Monica could probably just combined Police/Fire in their dispatching center and have a more efficient operation.

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I dont think SMFD/Gerber and LAFD have melded particularly well.....but that is just based on what I have heard on the scanner. Santa Monica could probably just combined Police/Fire in their dispatching center and have a more efficient operation.
Take a look at the Santa Monica firefighters' union website, http://smfire.org/index.cfm?Section=1&PageNum=1 and do a search for OCD. It requires membership to read them, but it returns with two hits, "OCD Dispatch Vote" and "Work Related Issues." Hmmmm

beachthug4

So is there anway of picking up encrypted freq or am I S.O.L. on listening to smpd?

brandon

Database Admin
If they are encrypted there is no way your going to hear them. 100% SOL :(

Status
Not open for further replies.