CHP Southern CALI Baldwin park

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok just a quick question and hopfully and easy one. When listening to 42.88000 orange ch.Baldwin park C.H.P. All I hear is a 1 way conv. its always dispatch and never from the other end. Are they transmitting on another freq? Am i doing something wrong? I mean every other chp i listen to its on the same ch. HELP please. I also tried putting in 42.66000 which is the input ch and still nothing. Anyone else have the problem?
Im running a PRO-97

Mick

Chp

In Los Angeles County the CHP uses a duplex radio system. The dispatcher is on the base frq and the mobiles use another.

For Baldwin Park you need to monitor 42.88 for the dispatcher and 42.66 for the cars to hear the same conversation.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Then the cars are too far away from you... You'll only hear a mobile on that frequency if they're within a mile or so of you (atmospheric conditions like "skip" notwithstanding). CHP usually puts their Rx/Tx on mountain tops so the electromagnetic radio wave will travel to them unobstructed by line of site. Try driving to a higher elevation or into the area covered by that channel, and I bet you'll have better results.

Inigo

karldotcom

Put a 30 foot antenna on the roof...that is how I hear the cars....and then it is only within 10 miles...nothing further

Wells thanks for the info. I use the scanner while driving so putting a 30 ft antenna up is out of the question. But thanks for the info and i'll give it a shot

SCPD

QRT
Some of us worked hard writing the answer to your question on the CHP pages in the database. karldocom posted a link to it. You need to read the information at the top of the first page, it will be quite helpful. Otherwise you will be in the dark when considering CHP systems.

In San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, and I believe San Diego Counties one remote base station in a CHP office area transmits the mobile frequency over the base frequency. It isn't a true repeater but sound like one. In locations where you can hear one of these remote base station sites, you won't have any trouble picking up the cars as they are being transmitted at the same power, from the same elevation, that the base frequency is transmitted on/from.

Good luck! After time by listening carefully, looking up the answers to questions using the search function on these forums (the answers are often in archived threads), as well as by reading the wiki pages. When you can't find the answers there then lots of people will gladly help answer your question when you post it, or point to where you can look up the answer. Keep doing this in small doses and you will be amazed at what you learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.