LA County new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grubbyg

Hello all, just purchased a PRO 106 for my son and we are both a bit lost actually a lot lost. This is our first adventure into scanning and programming. I've read a bunch of threads stating we can download the frequencies for LA County from RadioReference.com and we would be on our way. What I would like to know is... is it that simple? There has to be more to it? I've been reading the manual and I'm confused as can be, so far we have heard nothing but static and beeps.

Our initial goal is to be able to hear our local Sheriffs dept (Santa Clarita) and some of the SFV LAPD (wife is dispatcher "PSR" and would love to hear her). From there we would like to monitor as much of LA County Police and Fire as possible. If there is any local user groups or helpful people in the area any help would be appreciated.

Bill88

Longtime Member
scanner help

I'm near Thousand Oaks but I'll try to help.
Make sure you have 482.86250 in there.
As well as the following:

All should be in FM mode

Let me kinow if you hear anything on those freqs.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Grubbyg

Thanks Bill, I downloaded PSRedit but it did not recognize the scanner so I tried Win500 and it worked great. I was able to upload all the Sheriffs and LAPD frequencies. I can puck up some where I live but when I drove down to the Valley I got all kinds of stuff and was able to hear my wife at work. This thing is great now all I have to do is learn how to use it. Thanks again

Bill88

Longtime Member
Do the RTO's rotate to different divisions?
The only ones I get here is Van Nuys and West Valley divisions and
the 'Hot Shot' channels.
It's usually pretty active most of the time.
In fact I just heard that a 211 occured somewhere and USC was taken.

What do you use for an antenna?
I have an adjustable telescopic antenna set for UHF.
I'm sure I would pick up more if I had a real antenna setup.

I do have a mobile antenna on the car and it helps when I'm out driving.

Do you have a decent list of the LAPD radio codes?

Grubbyg

Yes they rotate daily and some days they do 911.
I picked up Van Nuys, Topanga and a few speratic channels from my home in Valencia but once I got down in the Valley I was able to get lots of divisions. As for the antenna I just have the stock one that came with the PRO106. I got all the frequencies from the RadioReference website http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=201 I used software to download them to my scanner since I dont know how to program manually.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Do the RTO's rotate to different divisions?
Once they've completed their training at all the positions, PSRs rotate daily between the various RadioTelephone Operator (RTO - dispatcher) consoles, Emergency Board Operator (EBO - 9-1-1 or non-emergency-lines), and Auxiliary Telephone Operator (ATO) positions at their dispatch center. http://lapdonline.org/search_results/content_basic_view/6456 describes those assignments. PSRs must be experienced and certified to work the BCC spots, but they're not technically considered to be supervisors.

After two years at Communications Division, they're eligible to apply for transfer out to patrol, detective or other divisions throughout the department, but those assignments can be hard to get. Last I saw, for 2007, there were 566 PSRs and Senior PSRs at Communications, and 137 out at the divisions.

Do you have a decent list of the LAPD radio codes?

I have a pretty decent one, at http://harrymarnell.net/comm1.htm

LAPD has a more detailed version at http://www.lapdonline.org/lapd_manual/volume_4.htm. Scroll to section 120.40 if necessary.

spock00

Hello all, just purchased a PRO 106 for my son and we are both a bit lost actually a lot lost. This is our first adventure into scanning and programming. I've read a bunch of threads stating we can download the frequencies for LA County from RadioReference.com and we would be on our way. What I would like to know is... is it that simple? There has to be more to it? I've been reading the manual and I'm confused as can be, so far we have heard nothing but static and beeps.

Our initial goal is to be able to hear our local Sheriffs dept (Santa Clarita) and some of the SFV LAPD (wife is dispatcher "PSR" and would love to hear her). From there we would like to monitor as much of LA County Police and Fire as possible. If there is any local user groups or helpful people in the area any help would be appreciated.

How's the scanners performance with LAPD channels? I had a Uniden BCD 396T and the sensitivity receiving LAPD here in the SFV was not the best. Also the digital audio was garbled or sounded lousy even with full power reception. As to be expected my XTS 3000 is a night and day difference compared to the Uniden scanner for LAPD coms.

Status
Not open for further replies.