Question on Encrypted Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

icis_monitor

Hello all. i have been listening to the glendale icis for a couple of years now and have been happy to see all of the information in the RR database, but i have been thinking about some of the 'E' talkgroups on the list.

1. if they are Encrypted then who posts the information
2. why are there encrypted channels on the icis? is it because of national security kinds of things and like that? what kinds of things do they talk about behind secure doors?

Please. this is not meant to be a rehash of the discussions on the merits of secure radios, just more of a curiosity as to why certain people have encrypted and certain dont.

thanks

mutty444

encryption

I would imagine it would be encrypted when police or what have you are discussing tactics or sensitive information regarding operations or ongoing investigations.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
It is encrypted because the cops/whoever don't like you knowing what they're doing. They aren't required to justify it, only to properly license it.

Some agencies encrypt everything, some only encrypt surveillance/detective type operations.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It is encrypted because the cops/whoever don't like you knowing what they're doing. They aren't required to justify it, only to properly license it.

It runs a great deal deeper than that. There is a perception in some circles that encryption provides enhanced officer safety. It can be argued that the organized criminals these days are far more sophisticated and far more dangerous than ever before, and secure radios are just one more tool that can be used to fight them.

Why more departments don't use encryption is probably merely a matter of economics. It's an expensive option.

415dispatcher

Premium Subscriber
If a citizen were to be listening to my agency they would probably hear a lot of unintentional encrypted traffic....the reason is the officers switch their radios to encrypted and forget to turn them back to clear. Same goes for dispatch every now and again. On our old analog radio system...encrypted mode sucked and was a pain to use...so if an officer left his radio on encrypted mode everyone would tell him to switch it off. Now...encrypted is so flawless we forget we are using it a lot. I know it can be confusing for the listeners out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.