LA scanner stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody know of any good scanner stores in socal. I have been to HRO. What others stores are good.

Eng74

The only ones I know of are HRO and Radio Shack. There are two HRO one in Burbank and then one right off the 5 on Euclid in Anaheim. Radio Shacks are almost everywhere.

Radio shack is my one stop need for scanners. Actually I only went to radio shack t get my Pro 97 and I never had to go again. But speaking of that I do need to get some rechargeable batteries and charger for my Pro 97. I've had the Pro 97 for about 3 years now.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Juns...

Juns is still there.

There are three names for the same store...

Commline, Inc.
Juns
Hamcity.com

One is the commercial division
One is the in-store Ham Equipment
The other is the online company..

Cagey47

Back in the old days Communications Center was in that same block on Euclid...now that was a good store.

RobertW1

Juns is still there.

There are three names for the same store...

Commline, Inc.
Juns
Hamcity.com

One is the commercial division
One is the in-store Ham Equipment
The other is the online company..

The people at Juns are great. They are very helpful. I have an HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) just a few blocks from my home in Burbank, yet I drive all the way to Juns in Culver City to get my HAM equipment. It isn't as bad as it sounds, as I'll drop in at Juns when I have repairs to make at our Marina Del Rey store (I work for Gelson's Markets) which isn't too far out of the way. :eek:

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
Is Juns good for police scanner? Do they have good prices? Are they mostly ham radio or do they have alot of police scanner stuff?

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
does juns just carry ham equipment or do they also have police scanner?
Jun's Electronics and HamCity are the same place - in Culver City on Sepulveda Blvd, near Jefferson. They do have ham gear and scanner gear. I have bought both types of equipment from Jun's. They usually have lower prices than anywhere else.

Also, Fry's Electronics sells some scanners and gear, but they don't always have the best price.

I bought my last radio (Yaesu VX-7R) at HRO in Burbank because it was on sale there. HRO also gives a law enforcement discount, but even with the discount, I have found other places can be cheaper.

What scanner (or type of scanner) are you looking to buy?

Anyone remember Henry Radio in WLA?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I should say I remember Henry Radio. When I first became interested in radio it was a result of my dad buying an AM/FM portable radio for the family at Christmas, which quickly became my radio as it had some HF bands in it as well. One of the "accessories" that came with the radio was a short random wire. I wanted better performance so my dad took me to Henry Radio where the "Elmers" recommended a simple book on antennas and how to buy the parts for one cheaply.

Equipped with this knowledge I built a very long HF antenna and received Radio Hanoi during the Tet Offensive. I had heard it was very much like the WW II "Tokyo Rose" format and had only heard bits and pieces when CBS played short segments on the national news. I wanted to experience it for myself and the guys at Henry Radio allowed me to do so.

Even though the store was relatively small it had the best parts of almost any store you could find. There was another store nearby that had a lot more floor space and the staff at Henry would sent me there when they didn't have something. I lived quite far away from L.A. for many years and only took very short trips at Christmas every other year. After I moved back to California and made more frequent trips they closed within a few years.

It was located at Olympic and Bundy as I recall. Just on the other side of the 405 near Sepulveda and Olympic, on a side street there was a lumber yard that only sold wood for woodworking, as opposed to 2 x 4's for construction. When I made a trip to L.A. I liked to stop in at Henry Radio and then stock up at this lumber yard. I would return to the eastern Sierra looking forward to my projects.

It isn't often for me to take such a liking to retail outlets, but Henry Radio was an exception.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I should say I remember Henry Radio.
After I moved back to California and made more frequent trips they closed within a few years.

It was located at Olympic and Bundy as I recall. Just on the other side of the 405 near Sepulveda and Olympic, on a side street there was a lumber yard that only sold wood for woodworking, as opposed to 2 x 4's for construction. When I made a trip to L.A. I liked to stop in at Henry Radio and then stock up at this lumber yard. I would return to the eastern Sierra looking forward to my projects.
Henry Radio is still in business, just no store. They own the buildning near the same location (250 S. Bundy), called the "Henry Radio" building, next to OSH.

Henry Radio RF Power Amplifiers

:)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Does HRO take returns on slightly used products

If you bought it there, and it's within the terms of their return policy, I wouldn't see why not. I've also seen used items for sale on consignment there.

Last edited:

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
How much for the scanner? What does it come with? Does it have a digital card? Not looking to spend much

operator5290

Yeah I got the digital card, along with 2x hi capacity batteries, ac charger and the pc programming software along with programming cable. I'd let it go for $350, only cause the extra batteries and the PC programming equipment and software.

One sold on eBay a week ago for 300, with just the scanner and wall charger, so for the extra 50 you get all the goodies that make this a great scanner.

operator5290

I see that you have a BCD396T also, and myself, being an owner of both the BCD396T and the BC250D, actually feel that the BC250d has some benefits over the BCD396T, but since you already own a scanner, I guess you don't need this one then right?

Status
Not open for further replies.