LAPD and 246T scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

VENTURA246

New to scanning. Able to get the local Ventura County frequencies into my scanner using Uniden Scanner Director Software but for the life of me cannot successfully load LAPD frequencies. If I can just get a solid sample or two I know I can finish the rest. Does anyone have a sample they can share of this scanner with LAPD frequencies? Thanks!

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
You are not gonna have much luck, as LAPD is a digital system, which means that a 246T cannot receive and decode the signals. Much like the digital TV transition that is forthcoming, and the difference between analog and digital transmission, is the issue you have with your non-digital scanner (yes, the display is an LCD digital display, but that is not what a digital scanner is). Basically, you need a scanner which decodes digital transmissions, and unfortunately, that scanner won't do it.

When you look in the RR database, the signals you CANNOT listen to are listed with a "P25" in the "Mode" column. If the mode is NFM or AM or FM, you can monitor it, but as you can see, LAPD does not have many of those.

Sorry to break the bad news...

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Digital P25 Scanners - RR.com Wiki

For a digital scanner that can receive digital P25 transmissions, check out the RadioReference.com Wiki Digital Scanner Comparison Chart.

Digital Scanner Comparison Chart - The RadioReference Wiki

The chart gives prices and specifications for each scanner--the prices given are not necessarily what you would pay, rather suggested prices. There are other "digital" scanners that can decode P25 transmissions, but they are no long sold, and are not part of this chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.