Pro-196 and LAPD Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEVK

Hello -- scanner newbie here. I just bought the pro-163 and was looking for some help to get LAPD frequencies to come in. I am trying to get 484.9625 (N. Hollywood) to work but its not. I only hear static if I turn the squelch up. Is there a good guide out there to find how to setup this scanner to recieve lapd frequencies. I have searched but cannot find any.

Thanks,
Kevin

i5adam8

Hello -- scanner newbie here. I just bought the pro-163 and was looking for some help to get LAPD frequencies to come in. I am trying to get 484.9625 (N. Hollywood) to work but its not. I only hear static if I turn the squelch up. Is there a good guide out there to find how to setup this scanner to recieve lapd frequencies. I have searched but cannot find any.

Thanks,
Kevin

I don't think that the 163 will receive digital

SCPD

QRT
Kevin,

I'm a bit confused as you have a "PRO-196" in the title of your post, but then ask about a PRO-163. As far as I know there isn't a PRO-196. The PRO-163 will not decode digital transmissions. The constant rushing static noise you are hearing is an analog receiver (PRO-163) receiving and not decoding the digital transmission of the LAPD. The LAPD has a conventional (non-trunked) digital radio system.

A digital scanner should not be confused with "digital squelch" or DCS. DCS is a digital sub audible signal that allows transmission to have a "code" attached to it that can be programmed into a receiver in a manner that it will only receive a signal with the proper "code." Digital radio signals are entirely different, as they convert sounds into binary (all 0's and 1's) just like your computer.

The PRO-197 or PRO-106 scanners will decode digital transmission and $400 is not a bad price for a digital receiver. There is a trend toward digital in the radio communications field. There is also going to be a move toward "narrowbanding" which means some of the channel spacing in the PRO-163 may not be compatible with future changes. The Radio Shack digital scanners (made by a company named "GRE") are capable of having their "firmware" updated online. This allows the functioning of the radio to be changed if changes are made in radio communications technology, such as different channel spacing and changes in frequency use. The latter is important as the conversion to digital TV moves on, which may cause new frequencies to be available.

If you purchased you PRO-163 at a Radio Shack and mentioned that you wanted to listen to the LAPD and their response was that this radio would work for the LAPD, they were wrong. Radio Shack sales people are infamous for being misinformed. If you purchased the scanner recently I would recommend you take it back and get a refund. You can either tell them you were misinformed by store personnel or you can just say this is not the scanner you wanted because it will not receive the LAPD, in effect saying you are not satisfied with the radio. I would take the $190 or so that you will be refunded and cough up the extra money for a PRO-197 or 106 and start listening to the LAPD.

jambo

LA and surrounding areas

What setup would you suggest for a GRE500 for LA. I would like to listen to PD, Fire, Sheriff, and any other suggestions you may have. I looked at the layout for LA and a few other places there in California, but it looks like it could be quite a frustrating task without some helpful input from someone who lives there that actually listens to a scanner, and these particular systems.

Thanks in advance for your support...

Eng74

You could set up the scan lists like this,
1.) LACoFD
2.) LAFD
3.) Verdugo
4.) Orange Co. Fire
5.) LAPD
6.) LASD
7.) CHP
8.) ICIS
That is just a quick idea for scan list set up for the L.A. area depending on how and what you like to listen to. You could also break down LAPD down to their divisions and use each one for a scan list.

RadioDaze

Jambo, I could send you my Win500 file with LAPD, LACoFD, LAFD, LA Sheriff, CHP, and lots of Orange County, but I'm confused... didn't you mention earler that you're in Tolleson? Are you going to be making a visit out here?

jambo

Jambo, I could send you my Win500 file with LAPD, LACoFD, LAFD, LA Sheriff, CHP, and lots of Orange County, but I'm confused... didn't you mention earler that you're in Tolleson? Are you going to be making a visit out here?

Yes thats where I live, but I make it out to LA and San Diego at least once a year if funds are availiable. Please send me your Winn500 file (via private message). That would be a great help as it would save me alot of time trying to figure out that area. Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
make sure your scanner is able to pickup the P25 digital frequencies on your scanner. If you dont have a scanner that pickups P25 communications you wont be able to hear LAPD

jambo

make sure your scanner is able to pickup the P25 digital frequencies on your scanner. If you dont have a scanner that pickups P25 communications you wont be able to hear LAPD

Yep, I have the GRE 500 model. Can't really listen to anything anymore without a digital scanner with all the changes on these systems nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.